Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Corinthians says that love keeps no record of wrongs. How does that work when I'm autistic and can literally remember every wrong that was ever done to me ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Wow I can’t believe every religion in the world is a Pharisee sect

Some person invented the principle Thou Shalt Not Steal. And every other sage stole the idea from them.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

One of the long term foreign policy goals of Russia was control of Constantinople/Istanbul. The primary importance was the access this would have given to them to the Turkish straights and the meditaranean. But it also had a huge religious significance for the Tsars.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Father Gapon who lead the protest march on Bloody Sunday 1905, was an agent of the Okhrana.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I think I'll drop the Lutheran Insulter in this thread.

https://ergofabulous.org/luther/

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

OK, I'll come clean.

I have a weird fascination with he 16th Century. Originally this is because of Marx explaining that this was the period where the worlld was shifting away from old style feudalism to the new market feudalism. Also the enclosure movement created the vagabond crisis which lead to the elements of the modern working class.

But lately I'm interested in the reformation as a religious sort of thing. Like the different orders and their attempts to firght protestantism but also to internally reform the church against a conservative bureaucracy.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I'm trying to memorise the Heart Sutra in Japanese. I wonder why Avalokiteshvara is Kan Ji Zai and not Kannon?

観自在 =かんじざい
観音 = かんのん

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/197711-kanzeon

I just found about this searching that. Seems interesting.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

One my of my favourite Bible passages is the one where they're on a boat and a furious squall is crashing around them and they're bricking it and they go to get Jesus and they find him sleeping and they say:
"Jesus, how can you sleep at a time like this"
and he's all
"Because giving a poo poo doesn't go with this outfit yo"

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I've been reading Acts and I find Gamaliel interesting. When the Christian leaders are brought before the council he argues that people have come and gone who claimed to be the messiah. Either they're right about Jesus at which point it would be against God to oppose them, or they're wrong at which point they'll go the same way as all the other pretenders to messiahdom. Neither of these options involved the council doing anything.

Also I think he's related to that Hillel the Elder chap you guys like to bring up.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Is Wonka's Eggdicator that tells good eggs from bad eggs Calvinist? :thunk:

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

That cartoon was great. I like the girl, she's very funny.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I haven't read 90% of this page but I saw someone say Ryukishi07 and if someone wants to talk about Umineko in connection with Christianity I'm kind of interested in that. Because reading the Episode 2 Tea Party literally made me faint because of the blood squick and that's one of the things that sort of made me interested in Christianity. It made me realise that some things are so horrifying that you have no choice to believe in something.

I'm probably weirdly oversharing but if I can't out my strange private thoughts / rituals here then where?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I bought a copy of Book of the New Sun. But that was before someone said it was about torture! Oh dear. Well, too late.

My view of the problem of evil/ theodicy is that we all try to make sense of the injustice of the world around to us so we can live with ourselves and basically instead of trying to second guess the justice of the universe or try to repair by our own intelligence a fundementally unjust reality instead we should accept that we see "through a glass darkly" and sub contract the understanding of evil to a higher power or to resurrection/ judgement day or some point at the end of time when all will be reconciled. Until then "we life in hope" or hope is what we have instead of understanding.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Going back to the "what if God's a jerk thing".

Sure, the idea that the world around is a manifestation of some kind of hypostatic benevolence or goodness or love is convoluted and unlikely and hypocritical.

But consider the human experience - birth trauma and teething pains as natural to growth, food that's bad for you tasting good, life saving medicine being bitter and unpleasant.

Basically the universe has a lot of chutzpah and I wouldn't put it past it for something as staggeringly unjust as reality as we know it having some odd reconcilliation.
Or we live in hope, or something like that.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I was reading Acts of the Apostles. I'm at the part where Paul plays one half of the council against the other half by turning the charges against him into a Saducee conspiracy against the Pharasaiical doctrine of the resurrection. This is just after the part where he convinces the authorities in Athens that, no, he doesn't want to destroy the statue of Artemis, it's just all the jealous Jews starting rumours. He actually does hate idols but he doesn't tell them that. He's a sly fox to be honest.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Two comments.

One, mentioning snakes is kind of syncronious for me with me just finishing Acts as there's a scene where St Paul arrives at Malta and is bitten by a snake. The inhabitants immediately take this as a sign that he is a murderer who in escaping the shipwreck, is facing divine retribution. Then when he survives the snake bite he is proclaimed on the contrary, to be a god! I have no point to make, this is rather just a coincidence.

Two, on the interrelation between Freedom and Necessity, Engels writes the following in Anti-Duhring.

"Freedom does not consist in any dreamt-of independence from natural laws, but in the knowledge of these laws, and in the possibility this gives of systematically making them work towards definite ends. This holds good in relation both to the laws of external nature and to those which govern the bodily and mental existence of men themselves — two classes of laws which we can separate from each other at most only in thought but not in reality. Freedom of the will therefore means nothing but the capacity to make decisions with knowledge of the subject. Therefore the freer a man’s judgment is in relation to a definite question, the greater is the necessity with which the content of this judgment will be determined; while the uncertainty, founded on ignorance, which seems to make an arbitrary choice among many different and conflicting possible decisions, shows precisely by this that it is not free, that it is controlled by the very object it should itself control. Freedom therefore consists in the control over ourselves and over external nature, a control founded on knowledge of natural necessity; it is therefore necessarily a product of historical development."

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I knew that Luke and Acts are two consecutive books so I read one and then the other. So I've decided to flip back to John which I skipped over rather than proceeding onto Romans. It seems like a gospel for people who already read an earlier gospel, it gets to the action pretty quick. Jesus isn't shy about doling out miracles in this version.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

The bible I'm using (rsv2ce) makes a point of linking The Word at the start of John to the spirit of Wisdom from Proverbs.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I have print copies of The Phenomenology of Spirit in both English and German. I was surprised that the paragraphs in the German original aren't numbered!

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Yes, the first century has a lot going on. And yes, the Romans were pretty thoroughly obliterating the existence of any characteristically Jewish nation. It's also amazing how quick all the founders of Christianity start getting murdered.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

So the Gospel of John is pretty late. About 90 AD to 110 AD. And Jesus is raising the dead, walking on water, turning water to wine, the works. They're going to have a tough time crucifying my boy this time round.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Am I right in thinking that Pharasaical Judaism is history transmission belt between the old Caananite religions and the modern Abrahamic religions (including modern Rabbinical Judaism).

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

The line in John about "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" absolutely rocks.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I like the Laibach version.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

In Asimov's guide to the Bible he points out a verse about the reign of the Emperor that puts the crucifixion at 29AD. So that makes Jesus' birth 4BC, strange though that may sound.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I just clicked through a series of pictures someone posted on social media of Jesus washing the feet of a man on death row, Trump, Biden, A guy man, a policeman, a Ukrainian refugee, an alchoholic... etc...

It was interesting to see how everyone of the comments are people seeing what they want to see and rationalising it to suit their worldview.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Could you guys pray that I get over my anxiety. Thanks in advance.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Thanks very much. Its not too bad if I resist the temptation to fear the fear itself.

I'm happy to return the favour.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 16, 2022

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Cautiously, I think I might be over it.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

OK,

I'm going with a mantra, but Christianity is a bit too gory for me right at the moment. The Heart Sutra is a bit too nihilistic and I want to stay grounded.

So I'm going with the Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear. Which is a bit funny given that it's like a meme. But I need some levity anyway.

edit: I learned the litany.

edit2: This works great. For real for real.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 18, 2022

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Here's a Forbes article arguing that the Litany against fear has actually been vindicated by neuroscience and research into fear management over the decades. It's actually a form of mindfulness.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisonescalante/2021/10/25/why-dunes-litany-against-fear-is-good-psychological-advice/

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Let's say you were in an argument on social media, and it got stuck in your head and you wanted to forget about it. Is there a good Litany/Mantra for that?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I think mindfulness seems to be about keeping your head and allowing, not just fear, but every kind of thought and judgement to pass over and through you without direct resistance.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Is the Buddhist discussion above related to the observation of Heraclitus that no man ever steps into the same river twice? Or maybe Hegel's claim that everything is always turning into its opposite and then back again without halting.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

That's also Gospel of John Jesus. When I said above about they'll have trouble crucifying my boy this time round I was joking but actually he literally gives himself up to crucifixion telling Judas to do the needful and saying "it is finished".

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

OK, I finally finished John. I'd stopped at Chapter 19 where things were getting a bit nasty in the way that Gospels tend to towards the end.

So I've done Luke - Acts, the I went back and did John. Instead of proceeding to Romans and getting into the Epistles I decided to read Mark.

Impressions. Well I think it's cute that Jesus casts out demons and they immediately start to say "I know who thou art Son of G..." and he goes "shhhhh".

e:

This is where the "sin against the holy spirit" is mentioned. It's pretty clear that what is being said is that accusing Jesus of being possesed by Beelzebub and using demon powers to cast out spirits is what Jesus is refering to.

Hang on, is Beelzebub from Baal? I bet it is.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 26, 2022

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

If you like psalms, you guys should check out the Simpsons Memes thread right now lol.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846107&pagenumber=915

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I'm praying for Pershing's friend.

I had a really bad one today. But I seem to sprung back pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I'm wondering if I'd benefit from Taoism, with it's philosophy of not deeming.

e:

Seeing it written in Chinese gives me Heart Sutra vibes. Not that I'm planning to read it in Chinese of course!

e2:

Trivial as it may seem, it gives me flashbacks to Metal Gear Solid 1.

"Lao Tzu said, he who knows that enough is enough will always have enough"

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 27, 2022