Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Mad Hamish posted:

Imgur and my SA account / Awful app aren't co-operating for some reason so I can't post a photo but: tonight I led a public ritual where we called on Isis and made offerings, kickin' rad. It is good to burn incense unto the Queen of Heaven! I last did this ritual two years ago and after the incredibly lovely week I've had (I got held up at work! Dudes pointed guns at me and tied me up! I am physically ok though!) I really needed a chance to be active in my faith and it's community.

The people who came out to ritual really seemed to enjoy it, which is always the most important part. Bad ritual is never a good time and people can always tell when you don't bring your A-game. I highly value my community and the people in it and I always try to make sure that when I do ritual it is engaging and interesting and worthwhile, because to do otherwise would be disrespecting my community, my gods, and myself.

I can still smell the incense smoke in my hair. Feels good, man.
This is really good to see (the ritual part I mean, not the stress of being threatened). I've been thinking of doing group rituals myself, because my practice is also very much about community, and it's encouraging to know that others are trying the same already!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Prurient Squid, I was looking through my Kindle app to figure out what to read on my lunch break and was reminded that I have a book on ancient Egyptian metaphysics called Temple of the Cosmos which I haven't read since 2022/might not have finished reading in the first place. The chapter I skipped to was good and I thought that given our recent exchanges you might like it too. It is called "Sacred Words," about the anima of language, and comes right after the chapter that details the way the Egyptian religious/magical mind perceived a model or an image of something to functionally be whatever it is that is represented there. Ce n'est pas un pipe? Non! It is a pipe. And that painting-of-a-pipe-which-is-a-pipe is, by being a pipe, a functioning conduit to the spiritual essence of "pipe," the true and absolute reality of Pipe; so to that image or model of a pipe the spiritual reality of Pipe, Pipeness Itself, is attracted and magnetically pulled.

Words work the same way.

Now before anyone has a chuckle over this mention of eating Divine substances or representations of Divine substances for fun or worship, please first consider: Communion
Communion. :hai:

I'm new to the thread so I'm not sure who Bob is, but if he's cool then I will add him to my list for prayers as well. :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Nessus posted:

Bob is a parishoner at the church Nom has been going to, of goodly report in this thread.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Bob is also an archetype of someone who receives someone new into the community and helps them transition into said community and feel welcome and appreciated. We all deserve a Bob.
Awesome, much love and strength to Bob then.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Pets rule, and any heaven without them is not a heaven worth striving for.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Nessus posted:

I would put myself nearer to love but I would add a second axis

However, I am not sure what that axis would be since it isn't just flat ritual vs. mystical connection. This religion stuff is a pretty tough tattle. I got to take stock.
I would say the same for me, including adding a second axis. As for what mine would be, maybe doubt vs. hope. Sometimes posts can spread those as well.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Nessus posted:

Perhaps something like Duty vs. Passion? I suppose looking at it Love vs. Fear just feel kind of irrelevant to my religious perspective. I am confident Shakyamuni and the bodhisattvas had engulfing loving-kindness that extends to me but I would not say that I feel as if Buddhism "loves me." It also does not provide me with fear, despite the presence of the Hells and so on; basically none of that poo poo is any worse than what I could have observed directly or picked up from ambient American Christianity.
I like Duty vs. Passion too, that works, and I can see how it would easily fit into religious frameworks different from mine.

Based vs. Cringe is also pretty good, lol

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Prurient Squid posted:

I had a weird experience in bed last night where my heart opened and I realised I am sincere. That I really do want what's best for humanity or something like that. Rather than say, the Ego decieving me.
That's powerful and encouraging to hear, because I've also been experiencing similar things/awakenings in recent days/weeks/months. :love:

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Prurient Squid posted:

Oh wow, that's amazing. Some kind of rising conciousness going on in this thread.
Indeed, and I believe potentially even outside of this thread, and beyond Something Awful in general. Hopefully.

Prurient Squid posted:

Also, I've been playing a lot of 999 by Kotaro Uchikoshi. It's a visual novel that has a lot of references both to Egypt and to the number 9. So there's some more synchronicity.
I'm actually a really big VN Enjoyer, but never personally played 999 myself. I've read some good reviews though, so I think I might check it out in the near future.

I'm not sure exactly what this image might mean, but I'm kind of into it anyway? lol

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Killingyouguy! posted:

II love four armed Jesus and also the strange unicorn demon man
I kinda do too. Jesus with more arms probably could have accomplished even more.

Prurient Squid posted:

For the first time I actually took the workbook exercise seriously today and followed it to the letter. I meditated using the mantra "I am sustained by the Love of God" for 10m in the morning and then for another 10m in the evening.

I enjoyed the fact that I was engaging with the text throughout the day. It's like making friends with the book.
That's very cool actually, I love the exercise of engaging intentionally with a work or meditation or God throughout the day. Making friends with the text!

It kind of reminds me of my own religious practices and forays into divinity, which I was intending to share. I have a thread about them on SA in the PMF subforum: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4055383

Obviously I find it very rewarding and powerful, but a caveat- it's mainly my own personal faith (with some syncretism with other important faiths/philosophies to me). It has very little/nothing in common with most forms of Christianity. I invite everyone who wants to do so to read it, regardless of their personal beliefs, but I felt like that warning was necessary, since I know well how important faith is.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Killingyouguy! posted:

I also had no idea until really recently that tarot is a card game! I had associated the cards strictly with fortune telling lol
They can be used for many things if you approach with an open mind. But nobody in the modern world does.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Killingyouguy! posted:

tarot cards considered harmful as building materials
By whom? They can build lots of beautiful things.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Killingyouguy! posted:

carpenters, mostly
lol, but :wrong: My dad is a carpenter and he said Tarot can be used to build stuff, especially if the card backings are solid enough.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Killingyouguy! posted:

My dad says you couldn't, so I guess we're gonna have to have our dads fight
I look forward to a good old-fashioned dad-off.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Gaius Marius posted:

My dream job is proselytizing aliens. Can't wait for them to show up for real.
My dream job is being a proselytizing alien. Can't wait for them to show up for real, so I can convert humans to their awesome space religions.

Unrelated but made me chuckle:

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Nessus posted:

I have objective* proof that aliens are a. buddhists and b. extremely large and pretty

Source: https://www.wisdomlib.org/buddhism/book/the-lotus-sutra/d/doc62800.html/

* if lotus sutra not infallable how come soka gakkai? checkmate shingonists
Thank you, I haven't even finished the first sentence and I'm already in love, lol

quote:

Thereupon, the Buddha Śākyamuni emitted a ray of light from his topknot (uṣṇīṣa), the mark of a great person, and also from the tuft of white hair between his eyebrows (ūrṇā), thus illuminating all the buddha worlds

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Pershing posted:

If anyone can, please pray for me and mine today. Just feeling low down and hopeless and resigned. Thank you.
I can relate, so if you want them, I am adding my own weird prayers to help you and yours. We hope you find hope and purpose again.

One of my favorite scenes in the series :love:

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Finished "The Origin of Satan" and started reading "The Gnostic Gospels." Pagels repeatedly pointing out orthodox Christianity developed the way it did to serve the interests of the governing institutions isn't new information to me, but pointing out how many of the titular gospels emphasize personal spiritual development and finding truths within yourself as the path to becoming "like Christ" (that is to say, becoming spiritually/Divinely awakened just as the Christ was; much more literal than "Christlike" is generally taken to mean) in combination with pointing out Tertullian etc's insistence that Christians should not be investigating their own faith too deeply or questioning their leaders makes me wonder if Christianity started out on the right path for human spiritual evolution and then promptly went wrong.

Like, if Gnostic Christianity had triumphed over orthodox Christianity, and the dominant western religion emphasized a search for gnosis and developing the personal connection to the Divine as opposed to "obey the church" would we all have achieved reconciliation by now
I've thought about this a lot too. Instead of making the society Christ wanted to see, they got distracted trying to be more personally like him, but always in ways that the Church said to. Giving all your money to your local Church? That's good and 'Christlike.' Giving it all to start a local commune and refusing to pay taxes? Not so much to the Roman Empire.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Nessus posted:

How would you distinguish between your local church and your local commune, assuming we are starting from scratch and before Church got its various complex associations?
Whichever one doesn't tell you to obey the state, I guess.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Nessus posted:

But they both precede the existence of the modern concept of the state!
The Romans still had a state that you had to pay taxes to on pain of imprisonment or worse, whether it looked like the modern version or not.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, but Apostolic succession was the only legitimacy of the faith. The authority of the Apostles was all there was. They were not about to tolerate people just making poo poo up out of whole cloth and trying to pass it off as something valid.

There had not yet been any systematic theology or attempts at expanding on the Apostolic message. That's all there was and it was completely reasonable to stick to that.

She tries to portray it as a negative thing, but there really wasn't any other path.
Sounds very negative to me. There is always another path.

Nessus posted:

Do you get the same holiness quotient if you just refuse to pay taxes?

It WOULD assist with martyrdom...
Given how hosed up the Roman Empire was, it probably got you a lot of the way there irt holiness.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Josef bugman posted:

That and, ultimately, the idea of the material as being made wrong on purpose by someone who is a bit of a dick seems to make more sense than the idea that it was made by an omnipotence who wants us all to be happy but [insert problems here] keeps happening because [insert which answer you want to the problem of evil you want here]
One major reason I'm attracted to poly/pantheism so much is that it is a much more compelling explanation of the problem of evil (and good) than any monotheist religion I've ever encountered. Parts of the world are good because some of the gods are nice. Other parts are bad because some of the gods are assholes. (Plus of course, all beings having free will.) That feels a lot better to me than "your omnibenevolent, omnipotent creator made you bad and wrong on purpose, to teach some lesson or as part of some grand plan for the universe". I don't need or want that stuff to give mythic resonance to my suffering.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Josef bugman posted:

Surely that is Materialism though, not nominalism? Nominalism implies that something named is true/not true?

Some people do and want to know why the suffering is more personal and like the idea of the deity suffering with them. The problem is the idea that 1) This much and 2) But that doesn't explain X.
I mean if it works for them, more power to them. But it seems to cause a whole lot of other people in the world quite a bit of distress.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
I like all of your posts. I confess to not really understanding the conversations about gnosticism or materialism, but that's okay. I'm glad to have a place for them nonetheless.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Nessus posted:

Shinran Shonin had a relevant aphorism: "Do not cultivate a taste for poison because you have an antidote."
Very wise.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Killingyouguy! posted:

How do the different Christian denominations approach how one should feel about nature?

It was always weird to me that there was so much focus on being in church, that is, indoors, in a man made environment, when the outdoors is already there and God made that one. But I guess in the book God does instruct pretty closely on at least one building, so that blurs the line a bit.

I would hear sometimes about going outside and "appreciating gods creation". But also the world is "fallen" and Christians aren't "of the world" and should not be "worldly" I guess?
Apologies if you meant to only ask Christians this, but I did grow up in a Christian culture and have talked to diverse folks about stuff like this. Imo, everywhere is Nature, including inside buildings. Humans construct shelters and gathering places as part of their nature, and so do many other creatures on the earth. If God made those natures, then us doing that isn't necessarily disrespecting creation (only if we pollute a lot or otherwise are not good stewards in the process of building).

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Ohtori Akio posted:

stewardship means consumption to exhaustion, and thats the most important takeaway of the imminence of the world to come
Wait, this seems to be saying it's the job of Christians to consume the land to the point of exhaustion? I hope I'm misinterpreting you.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I took some time to think this over - thinking on Saturday, writing this very long post today. The ideas are still somewhat half-baked.
Very good post, any half-baking there might be just adds to the flavor.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Valiantman posted:

Yes and no.

The usual read of the part in question is that people are responsible for the nature. That includes the permission to use what is available while simultaneously nurturing and protecting it. Like a steward taking care of their employer's lands.

Some people are not so big on responsibility and more into making as much money as possible so you can guess how they read it.
edit- Nevermind, I can already tell this subject is going to make me incredibly angry. Forget I said anything.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Bongo Bill posted:

The quoted post used sarcasm.
Not very effectively if so.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

OscarDiggs posted:

I've been shifting between Buddhism and Daoism recently in light of some personal tragedies and a desire to reconcile myself.

Unfortunately, as a result of a youth of reddit atheism and a whole lifetime of being a white westerner, I'm finding it hard to engage with the written texts in a useful way. The ideas and concepts seem right up my alley when presented on YouTube or Wikipedia, but that feels very shallow.

Can anyone recommend ways and techniques to better grapple with works like the Tao Te Ching?
My suggestion is to get a guide. It can be other people, and there are also written ones available (I did the same thing when reading Marx, it helped a lot there too). A good translation also does wonders. Some generally well regarded English translations are A New English Version by Stephen Mitchell, Tao Te Ching: The Definitive Edition by Jonathan Star and The Tao Te Ching: A New Translation by Ellen M. Chen, but honestly I love Ursula K LeGuin's most (probably because I'm a westerner who already liked the author, but whatever works). https://bookshop.org/p/books/lao-tzu-tao-te-ching-a-book-about-the-way-and-the-power-of-the-way-ursula-k-le-guin/9765206?ean=9781611807240

Beyond that, dense texts like that are best read relatively slowly, like a chapter at a time, with breaks to reflect and process each chunk you read. It may still be difficult, but finding wisdom often is.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Mad Hamish posted:

Having just experienced a total solar eclipse and seen the sky literally go dark at 3:18 in the afternoon: good Lord, I can absolutely understand why the ancient Egyptians thought that was Ap🔪ep swallowing Re and the Boat of Millions of Years. If you didn't know what was going on that would be absolutely terrifying.

They had an actual book of spells and charms to be worked during this sort of thing, the Book of Overthrowing Ap🔪ep, which had ritual activities such as treading a drawing of it (in green ink! Very specific) under the left foot, spitting on it, and setting it on fire, with accompanying conjurations:

(knives added for reasons, if you know, you know)

I went out with a drawing of a snake (drawn on a post-it) and did some of these during totality, because I am a very weird vaguely dual-observant sort of person, and I got an odd look from someone passing by the parking lot. But hey, the lovely worm spat Re out, so it worked. Grinding a bad drawing of a snake underfoot: surprisingly effective.
This was also a highly auspicious post for me to see today, thank you. I have no doubt that this and similar things I've read will inspire the rest of my rituals for today.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Josef bugman posted:

If people could please offer prayers or invoke something for me and my Mrs. The government of my country may be banning trans stuff and she is really going through it because of it.

Edit: Not teams stuff, trans stuff, sorry everyone.
I offer my prayers and invocations as well, as I have been for many trans folk lately. I know how hard it is, especially as someone who lives in a country (the USA) that is ambivalent about us at best. I hope both of you can manage to live a good life despite the hardships.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
If I may, since this is the religion thread, I wanted to share something that's part of my own personal religion, and is also relevant since it has come up in the aforementioned prayers.

I have sometimes heard this story about a gay person, living deep in the closet in a place deeply homophobic, used to call into gay bars. Not to talk to anyone, but just to listen to the people there laughing, listening to music, flirting, having fun. If I recall correctly, he said it was because knowing that others were out there living closer to their authentic selves than he currently could, and importantly, enjoying them, made him happy, and gave hope that one day he could do so too. I'm out of the closet now, but out or in, I always find this story to be moving and relevant. I feel much the same way as that whenever society/other people aren't as accepting of my authentic self as I might have hoped. Whether that's a new bill passing denying rights I already have, or someone just denying me service for something extralegally.

Also, a big part of my spiritual connection to the Deities I follow in my religious rituals is Vibrations, in all their forms: music, speech, dance, rhythms of life and sound, memory/thought (mind chemical vibrations). To Them, all of these things can simply be random, but they can also convey deep meaning, if they're woven with that intention. Music can be babbling subconsciousness songs, or can be carefully assembled masterworks that elucidate deep truths about existence. Speech can inspire all sorts of emotions, from fear, despair, and terror, to hope, courage, and love. Dance can be freeform whatever feels good, or a very structured, organized thing that conveys a lot of intentional effort, if no other emotions. Thoughts can lead us toward unhealthy actions/inactions, or they can lead us toward healthier ones.

Because these vibrations convey communications in my prayers, and in the Deities' responses to them, I always have at least one being out there to be connected to, even if I ever lose access to all other communication with the outside world. I still have my connection to Them and the other beings they know, reminding me that better days are happening, and will happen for me too. Like a big bar of souls I can call to listen in on when I need that. Also a strong reminder to cherish the connections I have now, while I still have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

posting Tillich in multiple threads today like a freak
lmao, :love: While I may not entirely agree with Tillich, I do always appreciate seeing his perspective.