Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I am, as far as I know, our only Hindugoon. Hindoon. Raised Episcopalian, can still argue that I'm a moderately heretical Episcopalian despite primarily worshipping Kali, which might itself be a sign my Episcopalian upbringing was pretty good. :v:

specifically, loosely aligned with the teachings of a very, very strange man who was more or less one of the early Unitarians and also the product of a long-rear end tradition of Bengali goddess-worship - Sri Ramakrishna, which is incidentally also a silly name for a shakta guru / saint / whatever, what with being Vishnu's two most famous manifestations* mashed together

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fritz the Horse posted:

what even is hinduism anyway

(I am led to believe this is a genuine non-shitpost theological question within hinduism writ large)

A gigantic syncretic mess designed to knit together many, many, many, many, many different sub-religions, even if you can loosely group a lot of their current versions under three popular deity-concepts. There are a lot of me-adjacent people who make a point of saying they're not Hindu because they dislike some prominent characteristics of historical Hinduism (most notably, but not limited to, the caste system) and they have a perfectly valid viewpoint.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

HopperUK posted:

My old boss was a big fan of Kali as I recall, but my boss now is more into Shiva. I used to work with a young guy who had a little statue of Ganesha on his desk. Love the statue game in Hinduism!

Not really in the mood to effortpost on my phone rn but Ganesh/a is EASILY the most popular Hindu minor deity. He's cute, he's distinctive, and he's the god of luck, business, and entrepreneurship - so he's pretty handy to have on your side in day to day life.

and the origin story of his head is very, very funny

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

White Coke posted:

Not one he's likely to forget I'd imagine.

I always love retelling this one.

Shiva's wife - let's call her Parvati for the purposes of this story, to humor the boring, humorless, stonefaced Shaivites because that's the most common version of it - is bathing in the river. She instructs her kiddo, Ganesh, to guard the approach to the river with his silly little kiddo spear, so nobody sees her skinnydipping.

Shiva comes sauntering up to come visit his wife and is confronted by this short dipshit with a stupid little pointy stick. "Halt! The Goddess has commanded me to keep you from entering!" "Really? Are you serious? I'm her husband, and a god, you little moron!" "I have been told to bar the way against even gods, and so I shall!"

So, being a reasonable, level-headed dude like most of the pantheon, Shiva chops his head off and continues on. "Hey wife, good to see you!" "Hey husband, great to see you too! I assume you met our son on the way in, were you impressed with his bravery?" "Our... uh... excuse me, I forgot to wash the cat. Be right back."

Shiva calls his minions together. "Alright, folks. This is a vital, top secret, and extremely urgent mission. I want you guys to go find the head of a living creature and bring it back to me. PROMPTLY." The first of his minions to return has an elephant head in hand and he rapidly attaches it to the body of the son he inadvertently decapitated, as his wife emerges from her bath. "See? Good as new!"

and that's why ganesh is the god of luck: because he didn't bleed out before his idiot father could find a replacement head

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 25, 2021

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Captain von Trapp posted:

Shoudn't it be the body of a living creature? :iiam:

i feel like perhaps early South Asians were not seasoned anatomists

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Captain von Trapp posted:

It's sort of funny to notice that the only actual specific dress-code-type instruction for women in the bible is "wear a hat in church". Not dress length, not cleavage, not pants, not jewelry or perfume: a hat.

And despite being pretty much a black-letter rule, it's almost universally interpreted away in American protestant churches that pride themselves on literalism and sola scriptura.

further anglican perfidy and heterodoxy that they ignore this rule, smh

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Scathach posted:

All the good thoughts to you! I hope you find the path you're seeing on your journey. Keep us updated, I'm excited that you're going in a direction you've been longing for.

Aside from that, are there any Hindus here? I'd love to talk to someone in the faith because I'm finding myself drawn to it the older I get. I grew up Catholic, ended up with a Taoist lifestyle, but I've always wanted to know more about Hinduism. Something about it feels right to me but I don't know where to start besides reading everything I can. I'd like to visit a temple but I don't know how a random white gal walking in would be received. I'm curious and I want to be as respectful as possible.

I'm a total weirdo even by Hinduism standards, but let's get started:

do you have a particular deity you're interested in, or is it more of a "there are lots of interesting deities and also I like the idea of this particular subset"?

I pass no judgement in either case.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

Reminds me of a buddy, high Anglican, Master Mason, who one day at the pub espoused the Manichean heresy and has never discussed theology with us again after getting called out on it

1) loving wimp, the Anglican way is to find an argument it's not heresy and stick to it come heck or high water
2) yes ha ha yes to the Christian reincarnationists, join us

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Y'all: I just finished Mrs Davis and, my friends, this is an amazing show. It is also extremely relevant to our interests. I hesitate to describe it too far, but the immediate pitch, as far as I am concerned, is a couple bits from a low spoiler review that I now agree with in its entirety. all spoilers from first episode, most from very early in it

For much of my first viewing of the premiere episode, I was confused; during the opening moments, in which a gruesome fight sequence plays out inside a 14th-century Paris convent, I thought I had accidentally clicked on the wrong screener. By the eighth and final installment of season one, I was ready to race through the streets with a sparkler in each hand shouting, town-crier-style, “Watch Mrs. Davis, you magnificent cowards!!”

To the extent it’s possible to summarize this show, it is about a nun who embarks on a series of increasingly ridiculous quests under the direction of an AI dubbed the Algorithm, or Mrs. Davis.

It has deep thoughts about religion, and faith, and what it means to be faithful, and what happens to traditional religion in a world where Helios from Deus Ex is demonstrably real.

Review: https://www.vulture.com/article/mrs-davis-review-peacock.html

quote:

And when you eventually finish the finale — stick with this one, I beg you — you are welcome to join me so we can both run down the street, screaming as loud as we want about what a wild-rear end pleasure it’s been to engage with this beautifully demented TV program.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

zhar posted:

in a similar vein im pretty sure ive seen people asking for prayers from this thread if you want a prayer why would you pick posters of the something awful forums over someone with the bona fides of a literal saint

Diversity. What if me chatting with Kali is what does the trick? You don't know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

me, in this thread:

(shogun is off to a great start y'all)