Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Fritz the Horse posted:

I believe now is the point I remind the thread that the Lutheran Insulter exists and is extremely fun: https://ergofabulous.org/luther/

it's important to acknowledge the man who was saying "much like your posting" over 500 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’m late to the what are you thing. Grew up Methodist in a big congregation. Married a seminary student and am now ELCA Lutheran. I like Christian existentialism and Tillich a bit too much, bordering on being obsessive about it.

to you i say: post boldly

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

fun fact about the church of the nazarene is that while they are generally more conservative, they are also one of the first denominations in america to have women pastors. i think they're a good example for why one should remember that western christianly in america doesn't just break down into the three categories we typically talk about of catholic, evangelical, and mainline

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

White Coke posted:

Started reading Bonhoeffer's The Cost of Discipleship. I've only finished the first chapter but it's pretty engaging so far.

for those of you who aren't familiar, dietrich bonhoeffer was a german pastor and theologian who also, you know, actively worked to stop the nazis

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the older generations of "germans from russia" have a really amazing accent that is tinged with characteristics of german and russian. sadly i bet there aren't many of them left these days

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

Apologies if this is straying too far off-topic, but can anyone recommend any good books on the topic of German immigration to the US, particularly the Upper Midwest? My mother's family is German Catholics in Minnesota (and my grandfather spoke German as his first/home language, which I only learned a few years ago). I'm going to ask my mom about what family history she knows and if anyone on that side has done any genealogical work, but a general book on the history of those immigrants would be really interesting.

It isn't a monolithic group, a lot of different German and German-speaking people immigrated to the upper midwest over the years. For your mom's family it will depend on where they settled and when if you want to get real specific about it. That said, two areas of Minnesota that I know have strong German Catholic heritage are Saint Paul and Saint Cloud.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

White Coke posted:

What are some 21st century miracles?

have you not seen my posts?? :rolleyes:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I am not a Calvinist so I am probably messing some parts of this up but:

Predestination is the idea that God would have no reason to send Jesus to suffer and die on the cross if it ends up that no human ever uses this act to gain salvation. So if we say that it's theoretically possible that all humans could end up rejecting the offer of salvation, and so then they all go to Hell, we are saying that God is both a) cruel, b/c the salvation God designed didn't make sense to people, or was too hard to achieve, etc, as well as b) kind of a dingus for creating this dud of a salvation package. And if you leave the door open for the idea that God is both cruel and and dingus, you're kind of failing to believe "God is love" and "God is all powerful" which uh are pretty core bits of Christianity. So it logically follows then that at least some people are going to use this salvation thing that God created, and thus we can say for sure that some people are going to get into heaven.

Double Predestination is the idea that God is not only smart enough to know that some people will take advantage of this salvation thing, but that God is in fact so smart that God can know exactly which people will end up accepting salvation through Jesus and which will not. This has the unfortunate implication that God already knows the ultimate destination of where your soul will end up, perhaps even before you were born.

In my opinion double predestination is kind of a logical trap because it assumes that we humans can understand how the mechanics of salvation and heaven and all that actually works, and we can make sense of it using whatever human rhetoric and logic we have currently developed/discovered up to this point time.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

ulmont posted:

This is of course the natural implication of an omniscient God.

lmao fly away troll

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

it is seriously funny to me that edgelord anti religionists are so completely unread that they cannot conceive of any religious framework other than far-right white American evangelicalism. like do you know how hard everyone else itt is laughing at u bro

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

toanoradian posted:

Which of Jesus' parables is this? I'm not Christian, so any parable knowledge I have is thru osmosis (or similar stories in Muslim context) like the camel thru needle, or the sermon of the mount.

He is sarcastically comparing the position of Democrats on the federal level (Biden/Congress) to the position of one of the characters in Jesus' parable known as the "parable of the talents". A note before we begin: a "talent" back in those days could refer to a unit of weight or money, here it refers to money.

In the parable, a man gathers three of his servants and tells them he is going on a journey, and that he is entrusting his property to them while he is away. Each one receives some talents, and the point of the story hinges on what they do with it. One servant invests it and gets a good return, and the second puts it in the bank and earns a little interest, but the third one gets nervous and buries the money in the ground. Then the man comes back and checks in with his servants. He praises the first two, because they had been good stewards of the gift/opportunity that they had been given, but he gets super mad at the third one because the guy didn't take the opportunity to do anything with the money.

To tie this in to the twitter man's post, I think he did a pretty straightforward and good application of the parable to the thing he's talking about. His point is to contrast the idea he disagrees with of "political capital is a finite resource and you can spend it now or save some to spend later" with the idea he agrees with of "perhaps political capital works like capital and you can invest it". The parable of the talents is a pretty good way to think about this comparison. Two of the interpretations of this parable that I think are relevant here are A) being mindful of the gifts we have been given in our life and trying to use them for good purposes, and B) to not let our fear of something that may happen get in the way of us using an opportunity that we have in the here and now.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

genesis 1 and 2 are great because it's super obvious that they're just kinda slapped together in there one after the other. you get done with chapter 1 and ope, just gonna sneak a second creation story in here real quick

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

welcome 2 lent, fellow westerners

https://twitter.com/jallen_town/status/1362036107572105218

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i always forget, which satan church is it that's run by a bunch of crypto-nazi type people. anyway, avoid that one, they sound bad

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

my mom just informed me her church has to-go communion kits. there's 2 little pouches you peel back, one for the bread and one for the wine

e: update, she also says "last time i had run out of the to-go packs so i used an almond cracker and a swig of kombucha"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

gregorian calendars

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

So what are the differences between the Orthodox churches? If someone was going to take Hey Guns' advice and become Orthodox how do they choose?

lol i am not even going to try and make a comprehensive reply to this post. "excuse me goon sire can you kindly summarize 2000 years of theology and geopolitics for me tia" haha

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

White Coke posted:

As a Youtube comment it didn't go into a lot of detail, but I figure the author thought there'd be more proofs of YAC, if it was true, than just the age of the planet, although the planet being exactly as old as the Jewish calendar would in itself be a rather compelling argument in favor of the Abrahamic religions. And why would DNA spelling out part of the Bible be more compelling than other signs that life was created?

so we're getting our theology from youtube comments now? is that how the teens are doing it these days?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Sadly, Christians having some convoluted antisemitic angle to their beliefs is not all that original :v:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Yeah I think 'my idea of a Real Jewish Person is someone who is essentially a different species from the rest of humanity' is anti-semitic whether you think those people are better than you or worse. Especially since that's untold millions of Jewish people whom that cult would consider fake.

Yeah this is what I was talking about. Having an elaborate science fiction system of beliefs about "this is a real Jew vs this is a fake Jew" is an extremely old form of antisemitism.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

CrypticFox posted:

We had a similar issue come up in the discord a while back when we were talking about getting a server icon so it didn't just say "RG," but no one could think of an appropriate ecumenical image to use.

quote:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

even the odious and obnoxious are valuable teachers of the dharma as they let us practice patience.

this is an :iceburn: on trump, right?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

no this is a genuine Buddhist thing

yeah it's a thing in christianity too, i was just being goofy about it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

as jesus said, "i was hungry and you gave me something to eat, i was a stranger and you invited me in, i melted tf down because you were out of the black friday doorbuster and you kindly informed me on how to send complaints to the customer service department."

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

White Coke posted:

Is that the one where Jesus says he's going to turn Mary Magdalene into a man since women can't be saved?

i like the gospel where young jesus curses a kid to death for bumping into him. then when the kid's parents come to joseph and mary to complain about it, jesus strikes them blind

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

https://twitter.com/paddyraffcomedy/status/1370327066063863808

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Captain von Trapp posted:

Now, the argument that the trinity is polytheistic and/or that Mary is a god are clearly heretical. I'll admit that the whole Mary business in Catholicism creeps me out as a cradle Baptist, but I'll happily admit it's not worship.

a lot of non-christians are genuinely puzzled by the trinity, which i think is understandable. if it's not something that you have spent some time contemplating, it really is a pretty wild concept to wrap your head around

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

BattyKiara posted:

I used to have a Muslim friend who was recovering from an eating disorder. She didn't dare to fast, fearing it would trigger a relapse. So she ate her normal diet. However, she abstained from all entertainment, like playing games, reading novels, listening to music, watching telly, etc for Ramadan. she phrased it as "I am fasting, and God knows that I fast in my heart" Also, she would donate the same amount of money she spent on food to charity.

sounds almost like she was observing lent lol

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

have a good voyage, hal

https://youtu.be/dfe8tCcHnKY

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Thirteen Orphans posted:

While I agree, I think being exposed to this before more... traditional theology, would give the wrong impression of the faith community. It’s valid, but not normative.

nope nope nope nope nope. we're gonna stop this right now. forums user thirteen orphans does not speak for all of christianity

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Thirteen Orphans posted:

If you want a basic overview of Christianity especially how it’s practiced overall then eco-theology or liberation theology, what have you, shouldn’t be the first thing you jump into. That’s all I meant.

this is also not true. it is completely possible for an overview-style text about christianity to be both (a) written from a particular school of theology, and (b) fair and accessible to a newcomer

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

That book does seem quite out of the mainstream of Christian thought on the issue.

There are well established reasons why God is referred to as He for all but the last few decades of Christian history.

the fact that you don't keep up with modern theology doesn't make something outside of the mainstream. and regarding female language for god, try uh opening the bible sometime

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

bud, the bible uses feminine language to describe god and aspects of god in several places. that's what im talking about. im not talking about sola scriptura or the pope or anything

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i dunno if the petty gender norms of 2000 years ago judea would have stood in the way of the messiah

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

martina luther would have written an entire book raging about the damnable curse of menses

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

White Coke posted:

What are the terms under which a church enters communion with Rome? Like the Eastern Catholics (Uniate being a pejorative for some reason?) recognized the pope but kept many other aspects of their churches intact. What’s required of them, and where are they given leeway?

in general, churches make their own rules, so there isn't necessarily just one set of things that a church would have to do, or agree to, in order to be recognized as in communion with rome. that said, the catholic church is not going to turn on a dime, so in general if another church was wanting to be in communion with them, the other church would likely need to already be pretty close to catholicism in terms of doctrine. then the two churches reach out to each other and start talking about whether they'd like to be in communion with each other, and how they would like to go about it

the denomination i grew up in has made full communion agreements with some other denominations over the years. the high level overview of those agreements is that you have years and years of meetings, and then come up with pages and pages of words talking about how you agree on doctrines XYZPDQ, and you include lots of nice statements like "we are all brothers and sisters", and then (since we're talking about protestants) both of the denominations go and vote on the final agreement

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 18, 2021

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i do not see the word "vocation" in that post

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

It’s also worth keeping in mind that back then if you knew how to read, you’d likely know how to read (and speak) Latin. It was the lingua franca at the time,

i tied a declension to my thesis, which

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

White Coke posted:

How broadly do you apply this principle? Does it apply to scientific laws and interpersonal relationships, or is it just with regard to the realms of philosophy, politics, and theology?

*checking to see if my catechism has a gold fringe* aw crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

his dictionary apparently doesn't have an entry for natalie imbruglia