Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I’m a Roman Catholic who converted to the Church in college. I was very involved in campus ministry and was a Theology and Religious Studies major. Because of this I was primarily taught how to pray by conservatives and primarily taught how to reason by liberals.

This conflict never went away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

That's partially why I'm posting; I never felt I could talk with others about my crisis, and because of it, I feel I never gave Christianity a "proper chance."

It’s hard to believe because it’s Something Awful and we’re goony-goons but these threads are, by and large, a safe space to talk about exactly those feelings and experiences. Every once in a awhile we get a jerk-poster, but honestly this community is great about meeting each other where we are. Unless you’re mean or mean-spirited we usually don’t mind if you disagree with something we’ve said. I’ve come here to talk about things I was afraid to talk to about because I’m proud and feared scandal. (Truth is I’m not that important to cause scandal in my community just because I’m having problems with the Church’s teaching on X.)

All that to say, welcome, and :justpost:!

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 14, 2021

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Freudian posted:

C) isn't she always depicted holding a severed head?

And often standing on the dead body of Shiva!

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 14, 2021

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Freudian posted:

People just can't handle a strong Hindupendent woman.

:golfclap:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

zonohedron posted:

Many people in this thread think that we're all approaching God in our own ways, and that God is merely pleased that we are trying to approach, and none of us are entirely correct or entirely wrong, &c. &c. I do not; I think we are only able to approach God because God first approached us, and correspondingly there are some doctrines that are more correct than others. When verifying that "mu" is the response I wanted to your questions, I came across this quote of Isaac Asimov's: "When people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together." To me, the same principle holds for religion; right now we "see indistinctly, as in a mirror", right now we only "know partially", and it's only when we're in Heaven (and, God willing, we'll all be there together) that we'll "know fully, as [we are] fully known", but that doesn't mean that every blurry glimpse of the truth is equally blurry.

I am reminded of the Church’s teaching on other religions. The religions of the world have truth but the Catholic Church has Truth in its fullest.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

PantlessBadger posted:

Bit blurry, but that's what you get when trying to take pictures of silly hats, I guess.

Don’t lie, you made it blurry so we couldn’t critique your reading habits.

My old pastor (who baptized my now Buddhist sister by the wrong name) wore that hat for a special service but it was way too small so half-way through his prayers he ripped it off, threw it to the ground, and revealed this throbbing red line across his forehead. I felt bad for him but it was pretty hilarious.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

That’s one crazy looking cat.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

White Coke posted:

I find it comforting to learn that every generation of Christians going back to the first has had people predicting that the world is definitely going to end in their life times. I wonder if they also had people who thought that they could decode the scriptures to get things like winning lottery ticket numbers.

I'm positive the "Bible Code" folks have at least tried it.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I always love linking this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Disappointment

I had no idea the Baha’i faith was intertwined with Millerism. Fascinating.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’m not a Christian because of a spiritual experience. I am a Christian because I find the event of Jesus as the Christ, the only certain and adequate explanation and answer for my question of: “What does it mean to be?”

I know it’s not really the same, but sometimes, if the night is particularly dark, I believe almost solely because I want with all my heart to be with my father again.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

BattyKiara posted:

I'm recovering from having had a total nervous breakdown. Happy to see you are all still posting. I love to read here, but scared of posting in virtually all threads.

God bless you and know that God is with you.

I have a stupid prayer request. I have a couple of creative projects I’m trying to do and I get stuck in a feedback loop of the highs and lows of my bipolar so I end up not doing anything at all. I think this would be good for my health and overall well-being so I appreciate your prayers.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Edit: never mind

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 2, 2021

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Back in high school I did my black belt test for Hapkido under Grandmaster J. Park. Way back when I first started Taekwondo he wrote something on my Dobok in Korean that he told me was my name that was also apparently a joke that no one would ever tell me.

Don’t meet a lot of people involved in Hapkido.

Hello, fellow Hapkido practitioner!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Request for prayers, having a minor surgery tomorrow to fix an issue I've had for the past year.

St. Raphael the Archangel, patron of healing, pray for Crazy Joe Wilson.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Captain von Trapp posted:

Depending on just how hardcore the Calvinist is, it's not so much "God knows who will be saved" as "God affirmatively wills that Bob Smith will be saved. Bob has no choice in the matter." Double predestination is similar, except replace "saved" with "damned".

This is closest to how I was taught it in college.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

zonohedron posted:

In fact, arguably, it might obligate you to advocate that the permaban be maintained, because it was a near occasion of sin for him to have access to it.

I read this post before the post it quoted and thought you were talking about Lowtax.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

The comments on that are amazing as far as the diversity of people represented. It feels like the whole world is represented in the top 100 comments.

And apparently everybody’s crying, even the atheists.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

A coin set of the corpus of sigils from the Key of Solomon. I thought some folks in the thread might find them interesting.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

St. Raphael, patron of healing, pray for Pershing.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Father, have mercy on your long suffering servant, Mary.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Father, have mercy on your suffering servant, Emily.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Today is the tenth anniversary of my father’s death. Please say a prayer for him, my mother, my sister, and me.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Father, have mercy.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

Taking a big shot in the dark here: who knows a Catholic church in the CA Bay Area with teachings friendly to left politics? I'm learning bits and pieces about liberation theology and looking for a community to join and probably someone cool to officiate a wedding.

Is this considered the Bay Area?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

Yeah, I think the Castro counts as the bay haha

Sorry I just knew it was San Francisco, I didn’t know what exactly counted as Bay Area.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

CarpenterWalrus posted:

I haven't seen anyone mention Satanism in previous pages, so I'll be the resident Satanist. AMA, spiritual fellows

Are you Church of Satan, Satanic Temple, or other?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

CarpenterWalrus posted:

For what it's worth, I got started in "non-traditional" religious philosophy when I bought a copy of the Principia Discordia, and will also field questions about Discordianism.

Hail Eris. drat I hope I didn’t throw out my copy of the Principia when I moved. I bet it’s in storage.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

This is correct though my experience with confession in the OCA is "it's between you and your priest" with my first priest giving rough advice to confess once every festal period.

I can’t believe I don’t know/remember this: do the Orthodox have a concept of “worthiness” for the Eucharist? To put it another way, do the Orthodox recognize certain sins that makes one ineligible to take Eucharist until they confess them?

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 5, 2021

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Tias posted:

Aren't there a sect of radical Jain who, upon taking their vow, sits down in one place completely still without eating or drinking until they die?

That ritual does exist within the Jain paradigm but I don’t remember if it was for a particular sect or simply a ritual one can do as a Jain.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

The Something Awful Ecumenical Spaghetti Dinner will now be a Something Awful Ecumenical Fast.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 9, 2021

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Namo Trump Butsu

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah it's a thing in christianity too, i was just being goofy about it

A friend of mine used to call particularly challenging people “saintmakers.”

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

My favorite apocryphal story of Jesus is when He and His friend are playing on the roof and His friend accidentally falls off the roof and dies. Everybody starts to accuse Jesus of pushing His friend so Jesus raises him from the dead so that the friend could tell everyone it was an accident.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I’m reading an article (albeit one trying to sell me something) about qi gong and the author references sexual transformation especially in the practice of seminal retention. He says, “many religions have recognized the strength of sexual transformation, including: Buddhism, Taoism, and Orthodox Christianity. What in the world is he referencing?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Whenever we talk about the Trinity: https://youtu.be/KQLfgaUoQCw

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

There’s a whole online community of people who are angry about having been circumcised as an infant (they consider it genital mutilation) and they have a few techniques to help regrow the foreskin. They don’t work.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

My confirmation / first Communion was tonight, I'm now officially a Catholic!

Congratulations! Welcome home.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

If one is into feminist theology, She Who Is, is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/She-Who-Feminist-Theological-Discourse/dp/0824519256

While I agree, I think being exposed to this before more... traditional theology, would give the wrong impression of the faith community. It’s valid, but not normative.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

nope nope nope nope nope. we're gonna stop this right now. forums user thirteen orphans does not speak for all of christianity

If you want a basic overview of Christianity especially how it’s practiced overall then eco-theology or liberation theology, what have you, shouldn’t be the first thing you jump into. That’s all I meant.

Edit: It’s a pedagogical opinion, not an opinion on orthodoxy.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 14, 2021

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is also not true. it is completely possible for an overview-style text about christianity to be both (a) written from a particular school of theology, and (b) fair and accessible to a newcomer

This is true, but from my time in campus ministry I realized most of the people I was ministering with/to don’t avail themselves of that kind of literature. Encountering them where they were meant using those concepts but not necessarily jargon or anything like that; making it accessible to them. If you get too specialized early on it can alienate you if you aren’t careful.

Perhaps I’m just worried a new Christian is gonna do what I did and take a hard dive early on and have to take extra time to catch up to actually understand what his fellow Christians think and feel.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I could have suggested way more radical authors. Johnson’s methods are very much in the mainline Protestant .

Just to throw it out there, she’s a Roman Catholic religious sister writing from a Catholic perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

zonohedron posted:

I'm unsure that this is true if one's goal is "in general I want to learn about Christianity". Like, you can definitely get a good understanding of, I don't know, Oneness Pentecostalism, from a text narrowly focused on that, but you're unlikely to figure out what about that school of theology is actually unique to it, and what it shares with other formulations of Christianity. This seems like it would be true with any school of theology that's in reaction to, or sees itself as a correction of, some denomination's generally held beliefs.

This is what I was going for; you said it much better than I did.