Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Hi, I've mostly lurked on these past two threads.

I'm a pretty conservative / traditionalist type of person. And these dead comedy forums have felt less and less friendly these past few years.

I tend to avoid political threads and mostly stick to posting in threads about tv shows or terrible space games.

I grew up in a Pentecostal denomination, very "fire and brimstone and young Earth creationism and end-times conspiracy" type of thing.

Then I fell into unbelief for a decade or so.

Then I was a Mormon for a couple of years (long story).

Now I am converting to Catholism, I'm in the middle of RCIA at my parish. (I'd like to visit a latin mass at some point, but I'm happy in my tradionalist NO parish)

If this thread devolves into cute cat gifs, I'd be ok with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Fritz the Horse posted:

ahem

casserole

Uff da.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

White Coke posted:

Good news, Jelly Bean pulled through.

Good to hear.

"The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous thread availeth much."

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

quote:

quote:

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
-Wayne Gretzky
-Michael Scott

Edit-

Fritz is this you?

https://i.imgur.com/5cwrRNN.mp4

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 19, 2021

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I'll admit, I haven't been following the thread lately- but I just saw this again and thought I'd share it with you all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=locW-9S00VU

I'm not Orthodox, but wow! This always gives me chills.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Maybe, but I, you know, don't sit with the kids. I sit on the whole other end of the classroom at my big-boy desk. And this was right after she'd drawn a cross in the air at my camera, to help the virtual students feel like they were also taking part in the ceremony. So I think she was not on autopilot but I plan on finding some other way to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Feels like one of those tricky situations-

Do you not offer the ashes, potentially insulting someone by excluding them,

or do you offer the ashes, potentially insulting them by assuming they'd want to participate.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Gaius Marius posted:

looks like Georgian to me, but don't quote me

I ain't never seen no writin' like that down in Georgia... might be some Yankee thing...

(sorry for quoting you)

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Liquid Communism posted:

Edit: Also, you know, being doctrinally homophobic, transphobic, and opposed to the bodily autonomy of women.

Counterpoint to that is that the mainline protestant churches have fully embraced all of that and are still having declining attendance numbers.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

White Coke posted:

I found this FAQ and it claims the official position of the Catholic Church is that it won't confirm whether anyone specific is in Hell. How long has this been the position of the church?

Always as far as I know.

The Church will say when people are in Heaven (when people are declared saints) but who knows who is in hell.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

crazypeltast52 posted:

Messaged HEY GUNS about it:

I grew up culturally orthodox but was functionally lapsed for various reasons, so I just know that we have icons around, but can’t really describe the why exactly.

Where is Guns? Why isn't he posting more?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

quote:

“We maintain that the decision to receive the COVID-19 vaccine remains one of individual conscience in consultation with one’s healthcare provider,” the archdiocese wrote. “In doing so, we advise that if the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine is available, Catholics should choose to receive either of those vaccines rather than receive the new Johnson & Johnson vaccine because of its extensive use of abortion-derived cell lines.”

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bourricot posted:

I self-identify as a Reformed Protestant, but more due to heritage/cultural inertia than theological grounds (to be honest, I often struggle with some parts of Reformed theology).
I'd appreciate this thread insight on something that's been bugging me: I've been reading James 2 recently, and how do you explain sola fide next to James 2:17 "Faith that doesn't lead us to do good deeds is all alone and dead!" (and the next verses continue in the same spirit).
I keep thinking about it and I can't find a satisfying answer. So I welcome any and all viewpoints on the subject.

A good analogy I heard was:

You are stranded in a boat off the shore.

Sola Fide:
You are in a life raft. The only way back to shore is if the currents push you there and you are helpless to do anything about it. Just have faith you'll be saved.

Saved by works (I forget the exact term):
You are in a rowboat. You row to shore under your own power, and you are responsible for your own salvation.

The Catholic view:
You are in a sailboat. The Holy Spirit is the wind, and by carefully trimming the sails and keeping hold of the rudder you can make it back to shore. You are saved by God through cooperation with Him.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
So what are the differences between the Orthodox churches? If someone was going to take Hey Guns' advice and become Orthodox how do they choose?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Hey Guns winning souls without even posting. It's a miracle.

Haha, no I was just curious.

I'll be confirmed and receive my first Communion in the Catholic Church this Easter.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Not always allowed in Judaism; Ashkenazi Jews can't eat rice, and no Jew can eat wheat, during Passover.

I thought unleavened bread was ok?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Worthleast posted:

Ah good. Which holy city will it be held in?

Hoboken New Jersey.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Fritz the Horse posted:

I just wanna say your (chill, measured) Satanism and sincere posting is an interesting and appreciated (imo) contribution to the thread. In my opinion.

In local news,

COMPUTER.

ENHANCE

oh deer

I miss snow.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

CrypticFox posted:

I have a somewhat odd question. In 1 Corinthians 7:18 Paul writes that people who are already circumcised should not attempt to become "uncircumcised" or "remove the evidence of his circumcision," without elaborating. Isn't circumcision irreversible? How would "uncircumcision" be accomplished?

He's using "circumcision" to refer to the state of being under Mosaic law or not. (Circumcision was the sign that someone had entered into a covenant with God to follow Mosaic law.)

So he's basically saying "If you were a Jew when you converted to Christianity, you don't have to adopt the customs of the gentiles or Greeks, and if you were a gentile or Greek you don't have to follow the laws of Moses after converting to Christianity."

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
My confirmation / first Communion was tonight, I'm now officially a Catholic!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Nth Doctor posted:

Christ is risen indeed!

I can never get over how many times John repeats that he won the footrace to the tomb.

This was all I could think of during the Gospel reading today...

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Lutha Mahtin posted:

nope nope nope nope nope. we're gonna stop this right now. forums user thirteen orphans does not speak for all of christianity

That book does seem quite out of the mainstream of Christian thought on the issue.

There are well established reasons why God is referred to as He for all but the last few decades of Christian history.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Lol. Like do you even Hagia Sophia?

No but seriously you are very much wrong and harmfully wrong.

Jesus Himself referred to God as His Father... I’d consider the guy who Christianity is founded on to know best on the topic.

And harmfully wrong? How so exactly?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I was specially responding to this:

Yeah, I wasn't implying that God is male. I believe God is spirit and neither male nor female.

I was saying that the position of the Catholic Church is that God has revealed Himself to humanity, and that He has chosen (for whatever reason) to use male pronouns to do that. In that view trying to force gender neutral pronouns on God is kind of ignoring how He has presented Himself throughout the ages.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
It’s also worth keeping in mind that back then if you knew how to read, you’d likely know how to read (and speak) Latin. It was the lingua franca at the time, the language of learning. If you wanted your textbook or whatever to be read by Italian and French and German and English speakers- you’d write it in Latin.

NikkolasKing posted:

But we are getting pretty lost in the weeds. Ultimately you would say a Christian does not ever have to actually read The Bible to be a good, faithful Christian. It's just enough to attend Mass and know what the clergy says?

This day and age? I’d say no.

But it’s also worth pointing out if you attend daily Mass or at least read the daily readings for Mass you’ll end up reading like 95% of the New Testament and around 65-75% of the Old Testament every few years. (At work so I can’t be bothered to look up the exact numbers)

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Cythereal posted:

Revelation was an allegory for the Roman Empire, in my book.

Agreed.

Cythereal posted:

Israel has become a genocidal apartheid state that's authoritarian if not downright fascist.

Disagreed.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Shaddak posted:

That's actually kind of interesting. And here I was just laughing about the baptism with beer part.

Beerptism

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I can't remember, are Catholics permitted to be annihilationists? If I remember correctly some of the Early Church Fathers were?

No. Your body and soul will exist forever.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I don’t know, for me personally it feels weird to approach faith by deciding what I do or don’t like, or what I do or don’t want to believe. Like shopping or something- “well I like bacon, so that’s a no to Islam or Judaism… Don’t like the whole ‘love your enemy’ thing, so Christianity is out…”

Plus I don’t believe I have a perfect understanding of morality. There are things I thought were no big deal before I restarted my faith journey but now I understand why my faith teaches what is does about those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Captain von Trapp posted:

If you check out a few Baptist churches, you'll sometimes find a "traditional" and a "contemporary" service. What it boils down to is one sings hymns written from about 1600-1900 using a piano and/or organ/orchestra, and one sings praise songs written after about 2010 using stage lighting and a band with a drum kit. In some sense it's a matter of taste, although certainly there's some theological implications and the occasional controversy.

I think it's a mistake to think of the Latin mass issue in that way. It's not really about Latin. It's about something much deeper.

Assume for the sake of argument that the Roman Catholic Church is the institution set up by God, handed to Peter by Jesus personally, infallible with regard to its teachings on faith and morals (and this is not just Papal infallibility), and therefore a constant repository of unchanging eternal truth. This is what the Church has taught about itself throughout history, and what its members are notionally supposed to believe today - and many of them absolutely do, certainly the traditionalists. You had popes like Pius X say "This stuff is true in exactly the sense we've said so over the centuries. Modernist people will try to change it or interpret it away. Don't let them, it's the synthesis of all heresies." With that assumption in mind, put yourself in the mind of a Catholic who believes this. Between 1962 and 1965, the Church convened the Vatican II council. It produce voluminous output that included writings that skirted right up the edge of changing some core Church teachings, particularly on ecumenicism but on many other things as well. The deep rewrite of the language and content of the mass was the most visible change to Catholics on a daily basis, but there was an impression - not an entirely inaccurate one - that whatever the Council claimed about itself, the "spirit" of the Council was being used to erode the actual foundational teachings of the Church. Sure, officially there was a "hermeneutic of continuity", but you don't need a phrase like "hermeneutic of continuity" if you actually have continuity.

A few folks like Archbishop Lefebvre and Leonard Feeney and some others went absolutely ape over it, but to Catholics at large I think it was regarded as somewhat inside-baseball. "Ok, we use English now, that's cool". There were the occasional signs that something was a little awry (John Paul II kissing the Koran, etc), the decline in Mass attendance and Catholic culture in historical Catholic cultures, the eruption of sex abuse cases dating back to the post Vatican II era, and so on. But ok, it's not like the rest of the Christian world post-WWII was doing great.

Then Francis was elected, and from day one he started throwing bombs. An atheist Italian journalist interviews him and claims that Francis doesn't believe in hell. Spokespeople deny it. Francis doesn't. He interprets away a key Catholic teaching divorce in a footnote. A group of bishops send him a formal document asking "WTF". He ignores it. He drops a key Catholic teaching on the death penalty. He drops the entire concept of just war in a footnote. He allows bishops to prostrate themselves before South American pagan idols. He lets the German bishops bless same-sex marriages. He says Catholics "breed like rabbits", and that that's bad. Any Catholic teaching or tradition seems up for grabs - except those promulgated at Vatican II. Be unsure about those teachings, or even try to accommodate the Council in a traditional way using licit means, and he descends from the throne with fire and fury.

You can disagree with any of the characterizations above, but remember we're putting ourselves in the shoes of traditionalists. They're in the position of having to decide what it means that the man they're bound by church teaching to listen and obey is personally and vindictively taking away the licit means that they can be Catholic as the Church has known it for centuries.

So it's not purely that Latin sounds cool. It's that Francis is in their view slowly and systematically (but always in a just barely deniably ambiguous way) burying the faith passed down by the Apostles, and burying them in the process.

I'm a few pages behind still, but this is a really great explanation.