Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
If-Lowtax-had-not-died-for-thee-thou-hadst-been-banned Barebone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

BattyKiara posted:

Why is this thread suddenIy siIent? What happened?
Yom Kippur

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I also have a recommendation for animist philosophy, The Spell of the Sensuous: Perception and Language in a More-Than-Human World by David Abram. I don't agree with a lot of what the author says about linguistics, but the phenomenology of alphabetic reading is some pretty interesting food for thought.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

ever heard of the Jews

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

sinnesloeschen posted:

there's also a shitload of prohibitions on certain ''magical'' practices in torah, even though diviners, astrologers, and fortune tellers were common in judean communities :shrug:
Jewish magic really starts to get lit in the early days of chasidism. Rabbis were wizarding all over the place

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Son-of-Man: Into the Genderverse

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Sure, I appreciate that. As an observer though, an incarnation of Holy Wisdom / the Logos that is feminine in nature is a really appealing idea to contrast the overwhelming maleness of the Trinity. I feel like maybe women would get treated a little nicer if there were a feminine aspect of Divinity with similar emphasis as all of the other three.

vv Oh I misunderstood what you were alluding to in your original post then :) I am sorry.
In Judaism the Shekinah has this role, it’s the aspect of the in-dwelling of God or the Diving Presence and is gendered female. People talk about it in association with the start of the sabbath, you feel the arrival of Shekinah.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

In christ there is no based nor cringe

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Killingyouguy! posted:

I love that the world over we wanted there to be more Little Guys
Everyone knows the little guys steal your poo poo when you definitely left it right here like ten seconds ago

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Liquid Communism posted:

The secret of course is that the religious right is not remotely religious. They are interested in power and control, full stop, and happy to lean on christofascist rhetoric while indulging in absolutely bacchanal levels of vice behind closed doors. A good example being their repeated rhetoric about transgender people and drag performers grooming minors by existing while rarely does a week go by without a GOP politician or donor being arrested for CSAM or sexual abuse of a child.
The reason the religious right sucks is not because they are hypocrites, but because their ideology is bad. There are plenty of people on the religious right who DO follow their professed values, and those are the ones to be scared of. People like Mike Pence, the true believers and not the cynical power-brokers.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

"Strengthen me with raisins"-- Song of Solomon 2:5

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Not Wolverine posted:

some sort of outside force must be present, and that outside force must be deity thus making Christianity equally as valid as atheism. I guess overall that's a roundabout way of saying I'm still skeptical of this Jesus dude.
You were raised in a Christian cultural milieu but you could just as easily embrace Islam, Judaism, Vedanta Hinduism, etc. from the argument for a supernatural creator. There are many other possibilities between total naturalistic atheism and the God of the Bible. For example, the outside force you refer to could be impersonal (i.e., not a Person), or multiple deadlocked forces (not a single Being), or a morally ambiguous alien lifeform, or a computer simulation. You could opt for Deism.

Not Wolverine posted:

Regarding Jesus, I think he was a fine upstanding individual and I like and appreciate his teachings, however the scientist in me doubts his godly attributes. I think when he referred to himself as the "son of God" I think every person is a child of God to some extent. Similarly, when/if he declared that he was God, I think references to the holy spirit being alive in Jesus are similar to the idea of the holy spirit being present in everyone. As for miracles, the only miracle I'm familiar with Jesus performing was turning water into wine. However (correct me if I am wrong) this is a story about Jesus throwing a kick rear end rave, he ran out of juice, and in desperation filled the kegs empty wine barrels with water and his inebriated guests declared it was the best wine they had ever tasted. I'm not trying to be condescending when I say that, but my issue is I feel like focusing on the miracles of Jesus is not a sound strategy to draw new followers. If I said that the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the one true all powerful deity because he/she/it transformed wheat into spaghetti (with the help of egg, water, a blender, etc) that wouldn't be a compelling reason to worship FSM. Instead, a compelling reason to worship Jesus or FSM would be stories of salvation and the good ethical nature of the preferred deity. From an atheist scientific background, I cant be convinced to follow Jesus or any other deity from a miracle based point of view, I need a moral argument.

The miracles of Jesus are pretty thick on the ground in the New Testament, and an important component of the theological underpinning of Christianity in my (non-Christian) view. I've never heard that interpretation of the water-wine story, but there's also the feeding of the multitude, the raising of Lazarus, the healing/raising of Jairus' daughter, tons of exorcisms, healing of the blind/lame/sick, walking on water, the Transfiguration, and oh yeah the Resurrection. The modernist secular spin on Jesus is kind of vague "be excellent to each other" philosophy, but that elides so much of the NT as to make it unrecognizable from the standpoint of major pillars of the Christian creed. If you don't believe in the extremely literal Divinity of Christ, I would not choose Catholicism personally.

Not Wolverine posted:

To that extent, thus far I have chosen the Catholic Church. I choose Catholicism because they claim to be the one true church able to trace their heritage back to disciples of Jesus. What I admire most about the Catholic church is their strict adherence to tradition and rules, even if at times I disagree with their beliefs.
You could also become Orthodox Christian I guess. They claim equal lineage to the apostles and woah do they have traditions and rules. But again, if you don't have a firm belief in the supernatural claims of Christianity, and you're not a cradle Catholic/Orthodox, can you really adopt such a religion as an adult for philosophical or aesthetic reasons? I get that you are seeking truth, trying to find beauty and order and tradition and such, and I suppose you could choose to pursue liturgical Christianity because you WANT to believe what the Church says is true. But you also show from your narrative that you value empirical science, are skeptical of supernaturalism, and that might result in some uncomfortable doctrinal compromises.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I’m addicted to you but you know that you’re tanha

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Not Wolverine posted:

I'm confused with the adoptionism idea, does that mean Jesus was essentially just a regular man who God chose to make a deity? If so, how would the virgin birth have occured, and how would Jesus have perform miracles?
Mark’s gospel doesn’t have a birth narrative, it begins at Jesus’ baptism. And the miracles are done by God, same as in the stories of Moses. There’s a lot of lines in the NT suggesting that the faithful will be able to heal and cast out demons like JC by the power of the Father.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Sefaria.org is incredible, don’t read Tanakh/Talmud without it

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Nessus posted:

Discussion in another thread brought me to wonder.

I know that the Bible is treated with a great deal of reverence, but I am curious if there are any Christian practices that use the Bible itself as an object of veneration or ceremonial focus. There is an example of this in the Nichiren sect of Buddhism, where (to speak very broadly) a representational calligraphic text is used as a focus for chanting, and which explicitly stands in for the Lotus Sutra.

e: for casual language on worship vs. veneration/ceremony lol
Not Christian but yeah the Torah scroll is pretty precious as far as objects go in Judaism:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itkr3PV8BhY

P.S. there are a bunch of barristers and judges there for some reason, Jews don't usually wear powdered wigs

Neon Noodle fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 21, 2023

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Merry Christmas Christians

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Prurient Squid posted:

Unfair first thoughts on The Art of Living a Meaningless Existence. It reminds me of the intrusive thoughts I've learned to ignore, except this guy publishes them and calls it philosophy.

Edit:

I feel like there are two contrary trends of the mind that I've strated to distrust that I'll label Scrupulosity and Soothing. Scrupulosity is the trend that leads you aknowledge things or admit things or face up to things out of a sense of performative honesty. Soothing is the trend that tries to make everything OK and think up reasons that make living in the universe bearable. I think both trends feed on each other and draw you away from the present moment and into the vortex of compulsive thought.
Fun fact! These are components of OCD. Intrusive thought (scrupulosity is a common theme for OCD) -> reassurance-seeking compulsion.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I disagree with 100% of his politics but I still highly recommend Robert M. Price’s two podcasts, The Bible Geek and The Human Bible, particularly for the way he traces gnostic influences on the early canon.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

https://www.thewrap.com/martin-scorsese-new-jesus-movie-later-2024/

Scorses's new Jesus film is coming together much faster than expected. Seems being at the end of one's life makes people more willing to get production in order.
What could this film possibly do that Last Temptation didn’t already hit out of the fuckin park

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

BRB, digging a tunnel to hasten the return of moshiach

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

:orb:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Prurient Squid posted:

Germans were way way into India.
This lady wasn't German but yeah https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savitri_Devi

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Read The Master and His Emissary to learn more.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

He’s the something-Christ all right

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Euthyphro dilemma, we meet again

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Also hey ABK! :) Zuzu was reading Pagels with me yesterday.

!!!!!!! THE HOLY SPIRIT

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

For some reason Judaism has one million tree holidays

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I feel like Christians adopting the trinitarian model is related to why you will sometimes encounter people who go "actually Christians aren't TRUE monotheists"
uh yeah Jews and Muslims both have major issues with Trinitarianism!!!!

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

it’s the BREAD OF AFFLICTION bro

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

https://youtu.be/KJEiDRi4Itc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Prurient Squid posted:

I was walking in the park today and I think being surrounded by trees is like being at Quaker meeting. Beings in silent worship.

Also I'm reminded of Tolle saying that if trees could speak they'd just be saying "Om" like in Hindu chants.

I'm reminded of Jack Handey saying that if trees could scream, do you think we'd be so cavalier about cutting them down? I think we would, if they were screaming all the time for no reason