Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I will always believe one of, perhaps THE, the most interesting periods of science and its intersection with faith is the 1840-1930s window of understanding thermodynamics well enough to fully quantify the insane energy output of the sun, but not enough about nuclear forces to explain it. The handwringing and philosophical arguments surrounding a series of efforts to produce that energy density from chemical and mechanical processes is fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bugman the line of thinking you espouse is the exact one that leads people to spiral into blackpill inceldom, I know because I spent a long time walking it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

That's fair, will try and work it out. I mean if we don't believe our interpretation of reality is true, we'd stop wouldn't we. I think it comes down to defining and realising that I am not other people. That difference or separation means that others are/can be worthy because they are not me. I'm me, and my choices are crappy ones.

But then morality becomes a matter of popular vote. Which I don't think can be true, or at least I hope is not true. It is good to abuse oneself if it is a choice you've made about something you believe you deserve. It is not fair to do that to others, because they don't deserve it.

I wouldn't say that violence is necessarily wrong. I don't see it as an ill aprioi and, unfortunately, it's impossible to prove that it is an ill. If everything is in flux all the time and all that sort of thing, then we can't prove that hurting yourself isn't okay. (also quick side note, but my spellcheck keeps trying to change "apriori into "DiCaprio" which is hilarious.

That's fair! People don't learn a lesson, and it's why I am generally against a carceral state, but at the same time I see the value in penance and atonement. And sometimes, yeah I do want to go to prison forever, but I still stick around for what needs doing, and for the harm it might cause others.

I'm completely serious here, please watch Neon Genesis Evangelion. I felt this way about myself for a long time and watching a fictional character do exactly the same thing and feeling the compassion I refused to have for myself for someone doing exactly that, because they were doing exactly that, was the jolt I needed to finally wake up and be ok to myself.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 21, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That is exactly what my abusive father taught me because it resulted in me engaging in behavior patterns that were super-convenient for him and terrible for me.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Just as there is no ironic racism, the truth is that there is no such thing as ironic self-hatred. The belief that I was inherently less than others reinforced itself until I was invested in it.

quote:

If I've spent all this time being miserable, and I'm wrong about being a piece of poo poo, won't that make all of it a waste?

Pride, ultimately, was the thing that was holding me at the bottom of that pit. Once I admitted there was a chance, just a chance, that I might be wrong, and started honestly examining it, everything changed overnight.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

You're not alive because the donor died, you're alive because an incredible chain of communication and transportation networks, technology, and medical skills all born from the blessings of mankind's inquisitiveness and compassion allowed good to be salvaged from that death.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Does anyone else get spiritual feelings from reading Henry Bessemer's description of the moment he caused the industrial revolution?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

BattyKiara posted:

She wasn't actually antisemitic. After all, a son of the son of a son of a son back to Adam was literally incapable of sinning. As in even if this True Jew was a serial killer, he was still innocent, since God, for reasons only known to God, approved of his actions. Of course, her ideas abut who counted as a REAL Jew was extremely limited. Only those with direct, unbroken, MALE line back to Adam counts. Any time a REAL Jewish man dies without a MALE heir, a line is broken, and can never be replaced.

Her cult was batshit insane, no doubt about that, but not truly antisemitic? Her hierarchy was thus: Male Jews (by her standards of who counts as a real Jew), Males who follow Jesus, women who unconditionally submit themselves completely to the Masters God has set for them AND (very important!!!) gives birth to at least one son, men who are yet to follow Jesus, women who are believers but fail at being submissive enough but at least they gave birth to a son, women who are submissive but haven birthed a son yet, and "Failed women" who are eternally doomed.

I'm still confused, by her reasoning literally every man is by definition a "true jew"

E: ok hilariously the one exception I can think of would be direct biological descendants of Jesus Christ

Where are they finding all these fallen women who seem to be engaging in parthenogenesis??

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 6, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Thirteen Orphans posted:

My favorite apocryphal story of Jesus is when He and His friend are playing on the roof and His friend accidentally falls off the roof and dies. Everybody starts to accuse Jesus of pushing His friend so Jesus raises him from the dead so that the friend could tell everyone it was an accident.

Eh, Phineas was kind of an rear end anyway

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I must confess I have been eager to read all of your takes on this since it happened, I am not Catholic but from my perspective on the outside this feels like an admission that a split is inescapable and an attempt to rip the bandaid off quickly

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Yoshi Wins posted:

Wow. I had no idea. Any recommended reading if I want to learn more about this?

Trueanon episode 140 is straight fire

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Fritz the Horse posted:

eh I'll give it a listen but I'm very skeptical of that type of internet irony-comedy podcasting being able to do a good job

I hope they brought in an indigenous guest to speak about it otherwise lmao

edit: are you sure this is the one you meant?

it's also paywalled

Ah woops, it's 167.

https://mobile.twitter.com/letstalknative/status/1413296572914409478

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The nature of all institutions is to fall into absolute corruption within 3 or 4 generations, the root problem is their improved longevity in the industrial era instead of everyone saying "yo this is hosed", bailing and starting over

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Diogenes woulda clowned on those nerds tho

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It's a category error, they think they hate Islam but they actually hate middle eastern theocracies because they're intensely jealous of someone else living out their dreams.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

NGL the recent Chapo Trap House about Church of LDS was really sympathetic and a good listen

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9zMjIxNjU5LmdyaWRzZXJ2ZXIuY29tL2JsYWNrd29sZi9yc3Mv/episode/NTU5ODE5NDk?ep=14

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

so basically all I need to know about visiting a catholic mass is bring kneepads and don't eat anyone important?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

In the south the cafe's role in society is filled by doing shots out of a handle in someone's toolbox in a parking lot

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the diner is also the exclusive preserve of the frostlands, unless you're talking about Waffle House.

Anyway, CSPAM just dug up some fascinating 19th century timecube

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Fritz the Horse posted:

The core thread rule has always been "don't be a jerk."

I've been vacationing all weekend and have read this far into the discussion while catching up but I simply can't let this pass unchallenged, thread rule #2 is don't be a jerk, thread rule #1 is

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

also mr. buns is fully embracing spoopy season

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

can you be more specific I haven't seen the soul of theseus argument in the wild before

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

before things can be counted, unique and unknowable assemblages of subatomic wave functions must be arbitrarily categorized and defined as like and unlike. Sure, three apples vs two apples. But what's an apple?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

In that vein, big shoutout to the CSPAM epstein thread for introducing me to the work of Jorje Luis Borges just moments ago.

quote:

...In that Empire, the Art of Cartography attained such Perfection that the map of a single Province occupied the entirety of a City, and the map of the Empire, the entirety of a Province. In time, those Unconscionable Maps no longer satisfied, and the Cartographers Guilds struck a Map of the Empire whose size was that of the Empire, and which coincided point for point with it. The following Generations, who were not so fond of the Study of Cartography as their Forebears had been, saw that that vast Map was Useless, and not without some Pitilessness was it, that they delivered it up to the Inclemencies of Sun and Winters. In the Deserts of the West, still today, there are Tattered Ruins of that Map, inhabited by Animals and Beggars; in all the Land there is no other Relic of the Disciplines of Geography.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

This question is for the jews in the audience.

I was looking at buying something online and there was a banner across the top saying that check-outs were closed whilst they observe shabbat.

So, basically, ive never seen this before and i want to know, is this common(i very rarely shop online)? Are all automated systems shut down on shabbat?

I assumed that automation would be like the eruv(?), where they can get around accepting orders because of the fact that its an automated system until you have to physically read the order and pack it.

You were looking at B&H Photo/Video weren't you

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The existence of Free Zone Scientology suggests that it's going to have long term staying power

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

cross referencing my goons.xls to see who didn't sign the card

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

D34THROW posted:

gently caress did I just read? :magical:

Maybe I should stop into BYOB sometime, I thought it was FYAD slightly toned down :3:

you should and it absolutely is the opposite of that

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://www.lifeway.com/en/product/nkjv-journal-the-word-bible-large-print-cloth-over-board-blue-floral-red-letter-edition-P006133606

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

IMO pigeons should be left out of this conversation because they have no sense of self-preservation and I have to scoop one out my wastewater treatment system at least twice a month

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 29, 2022

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Bishop Olmsted in Phoenix is a crazy reactionary who directly countermands papal orders anyway. Not surprising that he's looking for a way to be an extra rear end in a top hat just for the fun of it.

Phoenix diocese's FAQ points the finger on this directly at CDF and the Pope so that is surely what's happening here.

What a clownshow.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

NotNut posted:

Out of these, which one do you consider the best in a literary sense, with no regard for the accuracy of translation?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Bible#Catholic_English_versions

I really like the GNT, it's so different that you can really look at the content with fresh eyes. Ecclesiastes especially has a great flow and impact in it IMO

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

To be fair. Avoiding YA novels is a good thing to do

I think you mean avoiding YA novelists. Especially IRL and on twitter.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Tias posted:

What's Old Bay?

Broccoli tater tots own too.

paprika and ground mustard

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

docbeard posted:

Could use some prayers and general well-wishes right now. I'm being laid off at the end of the month and I'm both extremely angry and quite scared about the situation.

Report to BFC immediately for your complimentary confidence injections.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768531&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nessus posted:

Oh of course I agree with you. The Lotus Sutra has an explicit alien visitation.

But in this case I mean more the phenomenon of, you line up twenty different sects or denominations. Nineteen out of twenty of them communicate a message that clearly has a lot of commonalities even if perhaps half of them add shading along the lines of "and by the way, we hold the true way; others are taking their chances, even if we respect their devotions..."

And then you have one guy be like "asdadfldsjksglasgh be WASHED in the ORANGE BLOOD of the TRUMPLAMB and NO OTHER COURSE will TAKE YOU TO HEAVEN save through ME, if you only give a SEED GIFT to REPUBLICAN JESUS and BUY MORE PRODUCTS!"

And people look at all of this and point at the last guy and say 'him! he's the real face of faith! that's what religion *actually* is!'

Chill faiths need more aggressive marketing

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I've wondered about this for a while, is there any specific teaching on the spiritual ramifications of natural human chimerism?

This is a documented scenario where independently fertilized fraternal twin zygotes get stuck together and grow into different body segments of a single person, who has two completely independent genomes depending on which cells you look at.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the Reaching for Regis episode of E1 podcast is entirely a parody of the guided meditation genre but it totally works for accessing that headspace. Mysteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Keromaru5 posted:

Tillich was pretty much my introduction to apophatic theology. I think he's also what spurred me to read Augustine. Which I guess means he's why I'm Orthodox.

There's at least one Roman-era saint who converted by satirizing Christianity onstage. He went through a mock baptism, but then the baptism took, he started proclaiming the gospel, and they promptly martyred him.

I'd be interested in some kind of scholarly work that looks at Poe's Law and religion.

oh well you can get that right here
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/184339/mother-night-by-kurt-vonnegut/

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.