Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

Well we don't want to be confused with the "Second"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_impeachment_of_Donald_Trump

""not to be confused with the first impeachment of donald trump ""

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

quote:

Not to be confused with Second impeachment of Donald Trump.

This is great.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Yeah, i wanted to send the screenshot, but imgur requires way too many steps.

They were lighting fast.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The Second Impeachment of The Coward Donald Trump

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Lost popular vote twice, impeached twice, TWO SCOOPS

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

10! 10 rebel republicans! AH AH AH AH AH!

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Mr. Nemo posted:

Yeah, i wanted to send the screenshot, but imgur requires way too many steps.

They were lighting fast.

Got you, fam.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Not American: What, if anything, does this mean?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Here are the 10 per the NYT:

Representative John Katko of New York was the first Republican to publicly announce that he would back the impeachment proceedings. Not holding the president accountable for his actions would be “a direct threat to the future of our democracy,” he said.

Representative Liz Cheney of Wyoming, the No. 3 House Republican, said on Tuesday evening that she would vote to impeach, citing the president’s role in an insurrection that caused “death and destruction in the most sacred space in our Republic.”

Representative Adam Kinzinger of Illinois, a frequent critic of Mr. Trump, joined his Republican colleagues on Tuesday evening, saying the nation was in uncharted waters. He said that Mr. Trump “encouraged an angry mob to storm the United States Capitol to stop the counting of electoral votes.”

Representative Fred Upton of Michigan issued a statement saying that he would vote to impeach after Mr. Trump “expressed no regrets” for what had happened at the Capitol.

Representative Jaime Herrera Beutler of Washington State issued a statement saying, “The president’s offenses, in my reading of the Constitution, were impeachable based on the indisputable evidence we already have.” (An earlier version of this item incorrectly stated which state Ms. Herrera Beutler represents.)

Representative Dan Newhouse of Washington announced that he was backing impeachment, attacking his party’s core argument, that the process was being rushed. “I will not use process as an excuse,” he said during the impeachment debate, to cheers and applause from Democrats. Mr. Newhouse also offered a mea culpa, chiding himself and other Republicans for “not speaking out sooner” against the president.

Representative Peter Meijer of Michigan said that Mr. Trump had “betrayed his oath of office by seeking to undermine our constitutional process, and he bears responsibility for inciting the insurrection we suffered last week.”

Representative Anthony Gonzalez of Ohio said Vice President Mike Pence and lawmakers in the House and Senate “had their lives put in grave danger as a result of the president’s actions,” adding, “When I consider the full scope of events leading up to Jan. 6 including the president’s lack of response as the United States Capitol was under attack, I am compelled to support impeachment.”

Representatives Tom Rice of South Carolina and David Valadao of California also voted for impeachment.

Place your bets on which one will be the first to be surrounded and threatened at in an airport, have their office/home vandalized or have to evacuate somewhere due to a bomb threat?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 13, 2021

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dog Kisser posted:

Sort of nothing. Now it goes to the Senate to decide if he gets punished. But the Senate is not going to convene until after the 19th.

However, it is funny because it almost never happens and you have to really really gently caress up.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Dog Kisser posted:

Now a vote is held in the senate (requires 2/3 votes) whether to convict the president to remove him from office and strip him of all the benefits of having held that office- -- Pension, travel stipend, (maybe) secret service protection.

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

Dog Kisser posted:

the impeachment is 'filing charges'
now the senate gets to vote on those charges.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Velocity Raptor posted:

Now a vote is held in the senate (requires 2/3 votes) whether to convict the president to remove him from office and strip him of all the benefits of having held that office- -- Pension, travel stipend, (maybe) secret service protection.

But by the time this possibly happens Biden will already be President, or close to, correct?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Dog Kisser posted:

But by the time this possibly happens Biden will already be President, or close to, correct?

Correct, but the big win of conviction would be barring him from ever running from office again.

Losing the pension and security detail is just gravy.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Dog Kisser posted:

Yes, Biden will probably be the sitting president by the time this actually goes to the senate, but they can still hold the vote to convict. AFAIK so long as the impeachment itself was done before the term ended, they vote in the senate can still be held.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Bloody Pom posted:

Correct, but the big win of conviction would be barring him from ever running from office again.

Losing the pension and security detail is just gravy.

And seeing Trump froth in real time.

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

host at "NBC NEWS" to commentator: "I assume you are able to speak Mitch McConnel and tea leaves?"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mmkay posted:

And seeing Trump froth in real time.

Twitter has denied us this.

I desperately want Trump to have a press conference tonight about this...

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Random Stranger posted:

Twitter has denied us this.

I desperately want Trump to have a press conference tonight about this...

He's supposed to release one of his stupid videos.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Velocity Raptor posted:

Yes, Biden will probably be the sitting president by the time this actually goes to the senate, but they can still hold the vote to convict. AFAIK so long as the impeachment itself was done before the term ended, they vote in the senate can still be held.

yeah apparently there's precedent where some corrupt official back in the day resigned after the articles of impeachment were introduced and the house went ahead and impeached him anyway

seems reasonable to me that because the constitutional punishments go beyond just being kicked out of office and can include cancellation of pensions, ban from holding future office, etc that aren't mooted by someone leaving office, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to give congress the power to impose those punishments if the accused can just nullify them by resigning.

OK it was this guy. He was successfully impeached even after he resigned but was acquitted in the senate along partisan lines (with Republicans arguing not that he wasn't guilty, but that the senate shouldn't have jurisdiction). So there's precedent for it, but don't hold your breath on a conviction

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

He's supposed to release one of his stupid videos.

Oh goody. Wherein he calls the 10 people I just posted up the page sad, weak and traitors. I still don't get why HE doesn't get that resigning is the move here. I mean...I GET it I just...

God. How did someone this loving stupid and narcissistic become the leader of the free world?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

VitalSigns posted:

yeah apparently there's precedent where some corrupt official back in the day resigned after the articles of impeachment were introduced and the house went ahead and impeached him anyway

seems reasonable to me that because the constitutional punishments go beyond just being kicked out of office and can include cancellation of pensions, ban from holding future office, etc that aren't mooted by someone leaving office, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to give congress the power to impose those punishments if the accused can just nullify them by resigning.

OK it was this guy. He was successfully impeached even after he resigned but was acquitted in the senate along partisan lines (with Republicans arguing not that he wasn't guilty, but that the senate shouldn't have jurisdiction). So there's precedent for it, but don't hold your breath on a conviction

Yep! Legal Eagle actually just release a short about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OufpQZ0Nhbs

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

BiggerBoat posted:

God. How did someone this loving stupid and narcissistic become the leader of the free world?

He said a cute catchphrase on a TV show 20 years ago when he still had a smidgen of charisma left in his hollowed out husk.

buglord posted:

Our systems reward people like that.

This too.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

BiggerBoat posted:

Our systems reward people like that.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh goody. Wherein he calls the 10 people I just posted up the page sad, weak and traitors. I still don't get why HE doesn't get that resigning is the move here. I mean...I GET it I just...

He is what a lot of white America wishes they were.

He is the perfect face for a large portion of America.

The way he talks could literally be my father, another 70-something racist boomer(who lives in Florida and of course loves Trump). I mean, literally the same speech patterns in how they tell self-aggrandizing stories and mock people. It's eerie.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Pick posted:

Sort of nothing. Now it goes to the Senate to decide if he gets punished. But the Senate is not going to convene until after the 19th.

However, it is funny because it almost never happens and you have to really really gently caress up.

It's really sad how blasè we've all become to impeachment. It's supposed to be a big loving deal and yet it's basically not even as painful as a slap on the wrist.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Silly Burrito posted:

It's really sad how blasè we've all become to impeachment. It's supposed to be a big loving deal and yet it's basically not even as painful as a slap on the wrist.

This was the goal. That's why the Republicans impeached Clinton for lying about marital infidelity(and honestly really icky predatory behavior, but they were OK with that). It was to be reduced to a partisan weaponry, and now it has in popular culture.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

BiggerBoat posted:

America is dumb as gently caress friend

Like we are an extremely anti-intelligence country

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

He is what a lot of white America wishes they were.

He is the perfect face for a large portion of America.

The way he talks could literally be my father, another 70-something racist boomer(who lives in Florida and of course loves Trump). I mean, literally the same speech patterns in how they tell self-aggrandizing stories and mock people. It's eerie.

My dad died about 10 years ago and, sadly, I think he would have been into Trump. Almost glad he passed when he did since it saved me the trouble of having to shut him out of my life and then feeling like poo poo when he did croak. I'm currently in the process of severing all contact with any friend, family member or coworker that's down with this MAGA poo poo.

It honestly feels good.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

It doesn't help that Trump needed to be impeached a dozen times over but the only crimes significant enough for Democrats to do it were the ones where Trump went directly after them.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Random Stranger posted:

It doesn't help that Trump needed to be impeached a dozen times over but the only crimes significant enough for Democrats to do it were the ones where Trump went directly after them.

Well when one side doesn't even acknowledge that crimes were made, that sort of screws it up too. Didn't the Republicans in the 70s basically or at least somewhat agree that what Nixon did was illegal?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

America is dumb as gently caress friend

Like we are an extremely anti-intelligence country

Oh, I know. In a lot of ways Trump makes perfect sense and is the end result of decades of defunding education and just general anti intellectualism. He IS the embodiment of our collective id in a large way. I just meant "HOW" in the sense that I thought W was the rock bottom for stupidity for that high of an office. And now I loving hope it was Donald.

I don't need the prospect of president Gaetz, president Gibbs or candidate Green hanging over my loving head the next time a recession hits under a democrat.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I didn't actually know you could impeach people not currently in office, could congress like, impeach andrew jackson if they wanted? or george bush?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I didn't actually know you could impeach people not currently in office, could congress like, impeach andrew jackson if they wanted? or george bush?

The Constitution says they have to be in office when they're impeached. It says nothing about the Senate trial. Conviction in the Senate can lead to more punishment than mere removal from office.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Theoretically you could do a Synod yes

Good luck getting votes and political will to do it though

My favorite thing is all the work being done to insure Trump's name is never on anything again

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dog Kisser posted:

It means he gets an asterisk by his name in every history book.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Deteriorata posted:

The Constitution says they have to be in office when they're impeached. It says nothing about the Senate trial. Conviction in the Senate can lead to more punishment than mere removal from office.

Does it? It looks like it doesn't really say anything about it, if anything it kinda reads like the senate part talks in present tense of "the president" and the house part just mentions they have the power to impeach in general with nothing about timing.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

I assume they could come up with all kinds of creative penalties but it’s not a criminal trial and shouldn’t be used as one.

Really everyone is too sensitive about impeachment. It really should be, “we don’t like this guy. gently caress em he’s out.”

All the ‘undoing the will of the people who elected him” malarkey is just that. The people doing the impeaching are far more beholden to current public opinion than the president is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah in most normal countries we get rid of poo poo leaders all the time