Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
CSPAN just said expect the impeachment vote to be between 3 and 4pm ET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Asnorban posted:

"I was in this room when people stormed the capitol and a woman was shot. Can the democrats *please* put people ahead of politics and drop this impeachment." So infuriating.

I know, right? Same. This started off really boring and I was surprised the GOP side wasn't going in more on how the whole thing was justified because rigged election and that Jordan dickhead got up there and lit a fuse.

"Why are we making a direct attack on our government that took place in DC at the capitol building which incited by the president of the United States over accusations of nationwide fraudulent elections into a political issue? Also, myself (a GOP rep making this statement) am doing so with absolutely no eye towards my future political prospects in the blood red crazy district I represent where my constituents might legit attempt to murder me if I don't tow the MAGA line

Silly Burrito posted:

Is there a website with a refreshing timeline of what's going on? I'm in training and I have the CNN.com page open to the house proceedings but their page doesn't auto refresh with the latest news. It would be nice to have both or two small browser windows off to the side.

In all seriousness, the USPOL thread

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 13, 2021

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

my rep (Fletcher) used a proxy to vote, not sure what she's doing that would take her away from this but :raise:

also with these proxies I wish they would just have one person designated for the whole party and just be like "we all vote yes, let's go baby"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I missed it. What are they voting on? It must be some GOP bullshit because it's 100% along party lines right now. Ah...there it is. Republicans want to "change the rules of the debate"

Probably to make it about Benghazi or BLM.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Why is RGB doing sign language?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Vaginaface posted:

Why is RGB doing sign language?

Glad I'm not the only one

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1349384046934167553

seems unlikely that the metal detectors were the reason that whoever on the R side couldn't make it

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I hope that the trend of state flags on masks for reps spearheads efforts to replace some of the garbage-rear end state flags
(looking at you Michigan and North Carolina so far)

e: also telling that so many of the R side have college logos instead on their masks lol

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Do we really have to wait for The House Treason Caucus to refuse to go through a metal detector, because they have to virtue signal to their brain damaged base how important a gun is to them?

If a kid refused to walk through a metal detector at a school we would make them wait outside and check their poo poo, and then our School liaison officer would deal with them

This is absolutely pathetic

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jim Jordan wants to introduce a vote to have Liz Cheney removed.

Source: CSPAN just now

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

if any of the R's who said they'd vote for impeachment votes Nay on this procedural thing that is a real chickenshit move IMO, and it seems like some if not all of them have done so

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I gotta say, CNN's coverage of this is really good. Not a hint of bothsidism and just outright disgust at the GOP and especially the seditionists.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I gotta say, CNN's coverage of this is really good. Not a hint of bothsidism and just outright disgust at the GOP and especially the seditionists.

I think the way CNN's reporters were treated by the police over the Summer finally made them realize that their both-sidesism wasn't doing them any favors. I wish it had happened earlier (given that Trump has been calling the Press the "enemy of the people" for years) but better late than never.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

aaaaaaand another hour-plus of voting thanks for stalling

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

No Safe Word posted:

I hope that the trend of state flags on masks for reps spearheads efforts to replace some of the garbage-rear end state flags
(looking at you Michigan and North Carolina so far)

e: also telling that so many of the R side have college logos instead on their masks lol

Maryland and Ohio are top tier flags, though.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

yes and .... I'll concede it's probably top 10 at least

and I still think they should find the fastest-talking rep and just proxy vote through them

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
I said this in the Trump thread but I think you gotta call this one Impeachment 2: Bois Boogaloo

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah as an incoming resident to Michigan, our flag is pretty lame. My home state, Indiana, has a much cooler flag than the state deserves.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I'll have you know it says "We Will Defend" which means from like Canada and probably Ohio

...Look I love my big dumb mitten state okay?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

C-SPAN host saw "bivouac" on his Word of the Day calendar apparently (he's said it like a dozen times throughout these votes)

whydirt posted:

Yeah as an incoming resident to Michigan, our flag is pretty lame. My home state, Indiana, has a much cooler flag than the state deserves.

yeah Indiana's isn't bad but it's close to being a little too busy but skirts that line

definitely much better than Michigan

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The C-SPAN host clearly just plays Temur decks

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
My beloved corporate hell-hole of Delaware's flag is, uh, alright, I guess? I'm kind of partial to South Carolina's.

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

It's really weird to see ALL the votes being down party lines. Even the procedural votes.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Maryland is easily an S tier flag

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

SniHjen posted:

It's really weird to see ALL the votes being down party lines. Even the procedural votes.

Not really. It lets the GOP members who eventually vote for impeachment still save face by saying how annoyed they are at the Dem process even if they ultimately agree that Trump is bad. It's having their cake and eating it, etc.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

first off: it should be probable to not refer to him as Gym Jordan

second: the performative gun bullshit by the worst members is too on brand and depressing

Owlspiracy fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 13, 2021

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Echophonic posted:

My beloved corporate hell-hole of Delaware's flag is, uh, alright, I guess? I'm kind of partial to South Carolina's.

The flag being so cool is a trade off for our dumbshit electorate

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

SniHjen posted:

I'm just glad there's no Tulsi Gabbards or Collin Petersons or Jeff van Drews to play the contrarian.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Why the gently caress am I listening to this? It's boring, the outcome is a foregone conclusion and I trust goons to post the highlights anyway. Checking out I think.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

BiggerBoat posted:

Why the gently caress am I listening to this? It's boring, the outcome is a foregone conclusion and I trust goons to post the highlights anyway. Checking out I think.

Check back in around 3 (okay, 4 because it'll take forever to get all the votes in) for the actually meaningful part.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Is this vote just to begin debate?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Yeah I have to stop watching. I can't handle 2 hours of debating whether armed coups are Good or Bad

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/1349402315397201920

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Is this vote just to begin debate?

yup, so given that it's 2 hours of debate (and likely to go the full time I assume) then ~1 hour for the vote after that, it's probably at least 3 hours away from anything meaningful

not sure if they have a lunch recess or anything in all this

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SniHjen posted:

It's confirming for me that there won't be a removal, or even a conviction. The moment has been lost and Republicans have built their internal justifications that throwing a coup isn't that bad.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

It's confirming for me that there won't be a removal, or even a conviction. The moment has been lost and Republicans have built their internal justifications that throwing a coup isn't that bad.

What's sad is as much as we all may sometimes (or in the case of some, always) hate Democrats, and rightly so, we have two options going forward.

A Democratic party that, no matter their many, many faults, is a believer in Democracy and is at least capable of doing some good things.

A Republican party that wants to build a white-nationalist fascist dictatorship and is quickly building an SA-like militia arm to help them do this.

It's scary as gently caress.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

TulliusCicero posted:

I'll have you know it says "We Will Defend" which means from like Canada and probably Ohio

...Look I love my big dumb mitten state okay?

I'm a Michigan transplant (Detroit). I came from Ohio, and let me tell you, I can still feel the total letdown from when I first saw Michigan's flag. Now, Detroit's flag rules.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Gonna watch it all because I cant look away. Also I'm at work and bored, so why not

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Random Stranger posted:

Haven't multiple House Rs announced they'll be voting to impeach? And we're not seeing that now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

smoobles posted:

Haven't multiple House Rs announced they'll be voting to impeach? And we're not seeing that now?

this isn't the actual impeachment vote

but yeah as I've said above, it's stupid bullshit posturing to wait for the actual vote on impeachment itself to act but then actively delay/hamper it by voting against the things that would usher it along