Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The only Doctor Who I've ever seen is from the 70s at 1:00am on PBS (and I love it and that's why I started following this thread) but I can already tell that it's not a show that takes its own continuity very seriously, or maybe it just can't afford to take its continuity very seriously. Last week there was a swimming pool in the tardis that was clearly a municipal swimming pool in whatever town is up the street from the quarry where they film all the alien planet scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t like to post exactly where I live, but I guess I just outed myself. I live in one of two cities in the US where they show old Doctor Who at 1:00am on Saturday.

I had no idea it wasn’t being aired nationally. It started last summer with what I guess are the first Tom Baker episodes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

No Are You Being Served or Red Dwarf? That’s all I ever knew of British tv until college.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oh yes. There’s only one opening titles sequence and one credits sequence at the end. It’s actually a little challenging to figure out where one episode ends and the next begins.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just watched The Stones of Blood and I really enjoyed it. It’s extremely cornball and every set looks like it’s just about to collapse if anyone walks too close or touches anything, but I find all of that really appealing. My favorite gag in this one is Mary Tamm remarking that a space ship they’re in seems to be very large, followed immediately by a cut to the very small rickety-looking miniature model used for the ship. The supporting cast is quite strong in this one—especially the lady playing the elderly professor—and Mary Tamm is a great straight man for Tom Baker and I’m sorry she only has a few more episodes left.

I don’t know if I’ll last past the grimy 70s era, as that’s extremely my aesthetic interest, but I think I’m for sure a fan now. I’m really looking forward to the rest of the Douglas Adams episodes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m watching the 1970s Tom Baker season 16 on late-night pbs and I’m really enjoying it, it’s the first Dr Who I’ve ever seen, but I’m starting to wonder how many episodes start with a situation where two opposed sides are against each other and the doctor is captured by one side and the companion by the other after they get separated. So far, I think it’s been the setup for every episode this season.

Tom Baker is terrific and Mary Tamm makes a really great straight man for him. It’s too bad she just did the one season, but after reading up on why she left, it makes sense.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just watched the one where they installed the randomizer last night on my weekly PBS viewing. I like how it starts out setting up a typical-seeming story about bringing peace to two warring parties like probably 60% of the episodes I've seen so far, and then it goes off into bizarre territory involving Tom Baker's childhood friend betraying him but that not being a big deal, a shrink ray, the white guardian secretly being the black guardian, a lady being the part they need for the time/space thing but it being no big deal for her to turn back into a lady, and then nobody really worrying about the genocidal army guy or where everyone on the other planet run by a computer went. And the computer-repair timelord walks off screen at some point and that's his exit from the episode.

I'm really starting to enjoy this show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m watching City of Death on the midnight pbs run and it’s probably my favorite so far. The detective is the goofiest and most Douglas Adams-iest thing I’ve seen in the series. I love the idea of the show going on-location in Paris and 90% of the episode being set in a basement. Also a story that jumps between art forgery and the origin of life on Earth in a great comic mix of low stakes and high stakes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I mean, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen parked cars covered up by big spraypaint-and-styrofoam rocks in the Tom Baker episodes I watch every Saturday at midnight. I like that the show has the attitude that it’s just going to play things straight with the low budget and you just have to accept that—no self-aware winking or jokes about how lovely everything looks. It actually makes me feel ashamed if I laugh at something, like the Doctor wheeling Stavros from room to room because they’re the only two actors in the scene and Stavros is in an office chair with a bunch of poo poo glued onto it and can’t move it around himself, even if the Doctor is supposed to be his prisoner.

Still, that kind of overly serious attention to continuity flies in the face of the nature of the production at a certain point. In last night’s episode, they decided to turn the randomizer off because they decided the black guardian wasn’t a big deal, all in two rushed lines of dialogue at the very end that didn’t seem to have much thought put into them other than as a way to have some variety in the stories again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I spent two seasons of the 2000s Battlestar Glalactica thinking Baltar was named Balthazar. What the gently caress kind of name is Baltar?