Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Nick Briggs will NOT return my emails about my fully completed seven box-set Season 6b script series explaining the origins of the tattoo and that is NOT okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

OldMemes posted:

the butterfly crystal skeleton Doctors

I'm trying to make sense of this but my brain won't let me

Davros1 posted:

But Louise Jameson had talk about it before, about having arguments with directors, trying to convince them that no, Leela wouldn't scream in terror.

The producers were probably trying to split the difference with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKKvHxD_FmI

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 10, 2021

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

One last bout of amnesia, for old times' sake.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

The Forge/Nimrod always felt like a villain out of a different series altogether, like Buffy the Vampire Slayer or something else I don't really care about. The confrontations between him and the Doctor probably fell so flat because they'd deliberately set up the conflicts to be settled by interpersonal violence, only to realize at the last second that that just isn't the Doctor. That's why it's so satisfying to have Seven casually dismiss him, and I do faintly wonder if it was set up as a repudiation of the more violent turn during Six's TV run, but just badly executed.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

The Robertson version is pretty good until it turns into a 70s cop-show theme toward the end. Always makes me want to say something out loud like A QUINN MARTIN PRODUCTION

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Jerusalem posted:

I also like the character trait of her being an enthusiastic participant in other cultures or customs that she may not be familiar with but is eager to understand or be involved in. I think Demons of the Punjab is a good example of this, both her interest in the customs of the wedding as well as her quick adoption of the memorial gestures of the aliens she had only a few minutes earlier been accusing of being the villains.

This was such a great moment, and to me the most memorable. I loved how quick she was to turn around her thinking and realize that they were being sincere. It's not just that this incarnation is particularly more empathetic than any other (because she's a woman, rite), it's that she is much more fluid in her thinking and the Doctor's natural curiosity has a more adoptive element to it. It's a great take on some of the Doctor's core character elements and I wish we could see more of that.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Narsham posted:

compare with Four, who was keenly observant and perfectly capable of detecting human emotion and just didn’t care much of the time,

and also detecting when someone is attractive (probably).

quote:

The Chibnall years so far have displayed a real lack of self-confidence that undermines much of what’s being done. Davies was full of bravado and Moffat actively trolled fans; I’m still not sure how to characterize Chibnall. Does he lack the courage of all his convictions, or are his convictions simply unintelligible?

Jerusalem posted:

Before Broadchurch I always figured Chibnall for somebody who basically just aped what other showrunners did because he figured that was what they wanted.

It always seemed to me that the awkwardness she gets saddled with most of the time is the result of Chibs deliberately trying to have her ape some of Tennant's mannerisms. He doesn't really know what he wants or how to make it all fit together.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Forktoss posted:

This sounds very probable, though I hope it won't come to that. It's about time to break with precedent and abandon the three-season rule since it doesn't account for progressively shorter seasons and longer breaks, and also it's a dumb rule anyway that's nowehere near the noble age-old tradition it's sometimes presented as (only Troughton and Davison followed it in the classic series anyway, and Tennant barely counts since he did a full year of specials after his third season, so it only really got codified with Smith/Capaldi).

Is that a 'rule' in any meaningful sense, or just something the fans came up with? Capaldi I could see wanting to do the role the rest of his life so maybe the BBC higher-ups eased him out the door, I don't know, but the other actors clearly wanted to move on and do other things. Especially with the increasingly-irregular schedule, taking on the role is pretty disruptive and means having to pass on a lot of other projects for a period of, what, five years for 3 seasons? During (what many would hope is) the prime of their career? I don't blame anyone for wanting to move on. And honestly, unless something radically changes behind the scenes, I can see fewer and fewer actors wanting to take up the role in the first place.

I expect there'll come a point where we just get a few long-form specials a year and that's it. I wouldn't mind so much if they'd just put some ambition into the premises and scripting but I'll bet they just settle further into some MCU-type formula. Grim.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

ohhhhhhh those are supposed to be knives

dig the flippers too

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without one of your plum puddings, Mrs. Baddely.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

and the shepherd's boy says

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Doctor Who works the same way.

gently caress it. Why not. Let's have all the same arguments all over again oh wait we already do

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Time to push the envelope even further, lads. We've had farting aliens, now what about... making GBS threads aliens. Just big gaping xenobiotic buttholes filling up the screen and spewing the most vile substances all the time. Now in HD.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Vinylshadow posted:

So there's going to be an episode that's a live-reading of Doctor Who twitter threads?

Infinitum posted:

Maybe if they tone the social justice pandering

gently caress it's too late

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Oh sure, with you there. lovely writing is the overarching problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

groan