Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Toss out Rory and I'd watch a season or two with just those best girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I guess if River is here I can't use the "oh he's busy being a fake roman soldier" excuse. Rory is fine, okay, but he is no best girl

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

The reason the Doctor doesn’t go back to the far past is because that story happened. It’s hard to imagine another Doctor Who story involving cavemen without people saying “wait a minute, this is just An Unearthly Child!”

Never been able to much watch the ancient Who, whether they remake that episode outright or revisit the premise, seems like fair game to repeat. Are people really going to be like "Hmm, y'all already DID THAT one THOUSAND years ago, kind of, in a different way." There's also plenty of room in the ancient world for Whoventures. Get into that Bronze Age collapse, very mysterious and spooky and room for Whooey. Get into the first people to discover agriculture and immediately slavery as well in the same breadth, got some Who lesson room. Hell, those folks get wiped out by barbarians not long after starting civilization, lots of stuff they could do in ancient Sumeria alone.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

These are cool but it's kind of weird when they try to illustrate tits on a lego. legos dont even have genitals, ive checked

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Rewatching Doctor Who and I forgot how much the episode previews spoil the next. They usually have a moment where it'd be a logical place to stop the tease, but then they go on to reveal like the act and 3 twists or reveals as well. Like, this one could've been "Uh oh, surviving Slitheen is back and up to no good!" Instead they continue and start showing us the gist of their plan, then show us the big danger thing happening, then still go on to show the parts where they're trying to deal with it. Why??

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, super glad I skipped that one. I mean, I've seen these before but I've got a swiss cheese memory so that would've completely spoiled bad wolf for me. I was already avoiding looking it up because I had forgotten who it was. In the episode some Dalek noise tipped me off and then I remembered.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The PM of Britain (in 2005 Christmas Invasion) just made at dig at the US president about him not being her boss and "he's not going to turn this into a war." As I recall, Blair and Bush were in cahoots to invade 7 countries, in Bush's case before he even had the office. I don't know the timing of PMs in the UK, but is a hypocritical dig at the time? Also this being a BBC thing aimed at Brits, how much room/demand to they have to make digs at their own government? Good Bush burn, don't get me wrong, but as an American I can't help but want to scream WE LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU whenever our evil imperialism stuff is under criticism from the racist grandpa at Christmas dinner but I guess in the Who version of the world Jones owns oh nevermind shes red white and blue afterall

edit: Also lol at Mickey dropping a thermos and it drips onto some coily thingy in the Tardis and shorts it out, really cool to put metal grates above those components

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 11, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is there a Doctor who in parallel universe? They dump Mickey in a parallel world. Is there another Doctor there, is there some other space god who goes 'round stopping universal threats or is the absence of a doctor who mean a lot of stuff takes care of itself just fine?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

I'm pretty sure in the Cybermen two-parter from Tennant's first season that the Doctor mentions that there are no parallel versions of him in parallel universes.

However there is a Professor Huh who is a member of the Timeserf race. Not exactly the same, since the Professor just goes around in a working Timeship and just helps people throughout time and space as best as they can with their technology and infinite lifespan. Less exciting adventures, no genocides, just a lot of establishing schools, hospitals, infrastructure, farms, etc like any halfway decent immortal time-travelling demigod would be expected to do at bare minimum.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There's an easy way to see Rose-Doctor relationship as hosed up but her exit still got me, and holy poo poo, what a loving goober dipshit for not saying "I love you" but instead making smug commentary about saying it instead. And drat, headcanon is a wild thing, I swear the whole "I'm dying" thing the episodes had was going to be something where she dies but he revives her or some poo poo. Then they get to the Death Stranding beach and I felt sad. I remember her getting stranded in another universe after some heroics, then she gets to be with a weird clone or copy of him or some poo poo and they ride off happily ever after into the sunset in the parallel universe, at least.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hah, watching Daleks in Manhattan rn, but skipping through because I'm already a little tired of Daleks on this rewatch. Dalek Sec owns tho, for a Dalek

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 14, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Does Doctor Ditch the people at the end of the universe? I mean, kind of a lost cause no matter what, but I'm not used to him ditching even in an emergency. edit: oh dear

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 15, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Dude the end for Donna always kills me and I hope the next Doctor borrows Donnas face like Capaldi did with Vesuvius guy.

Also robbed of Lady De Souza because Doctor was in a mopey phase.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 24, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Man, even if you didn't like here, monster seems a bit harsh. I'm classist as hell and didn't see her as any more than baseline evil for her wealth level. The character wasn't the best, kind of like a default DnD Rogue out of the manual with aristocrat background, but The Doctor should have a run with a companion with darker tendencies, especially with how often he does monstery things himself.

Speaking of, he chooses to let a species go extinct because he just is entirely unwilling to share resources. Gotta side with the vampire eel aliens here, one city for a whole species? If I was elected Doctor Who this planet would be a lot more diverse.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

De Souza (I honestly don't remember her name, she's just always the bad character that Michelle Ryan played) also suffered from that really bad writing thing where the writer explains how clever and cool she is and then she never actually does anything clever and cool. It might have actually been a fun subversion to play off the bit early in the episode where they land on the planet and the Doctor starts to take control only for her to step in and start running things instead.... except like 2 minutes after she declares she's in charge she just follows the Doctor's directions and commands almost entirely for the rest of the episode and just follows along in his wake.

She's also guilty of one of my least favorite things in any media: a character wanting to keep some work of art or treasure purely for their own benefit/enjoyment without a single thought about the fact they're selfishly hiding something of cultural, artistic and historical value away from the rest of the world. As somebody else said, if she was stealing it to get it out of private hands or it was some cultural artifact that she wanted to return to its own country/people/group that would be one thing, but she's literally just bored and decided she wants the priceless thing for herself. The Doctor helping her escape punishment for that AND gifting her with a flying bus to presumably commit MORE crimes with was.... ugh.

Goddamn, no offense, but you guys are never going to make the cut with ISIS and it's kind of hilarious to watch happen. Y'all rollin' up to some crappy ancient ungodly ruins and everyone's having a good time, rockin out to nasheed, blowing up temples to Baal, just fun holy warrior stuff -- meanwhile you're kvetching like "b-b-b-but guys the romans built these ruins two thousand years ago there's cultural significance"

Look if that poo poo was so significant how come nobody is using it and how come the losers who made it are fuckin dead and moved to somewhere less lovely?

She stole a cup, big whoop, I've got like fifty cups, they were just here when I moved in, I'll give one to that museum if they need a replacement cup so goddamn bad. The Doctor irrevocably damaged the drat thing anyway, but also, he could take the sad museum boys to the past to get fresh stuff.

All joking a salad, I agree they really didn't do much with the character. I was excited when she assumed leadership, it's nice to see the Doctor not just critical-hit all his charisma rolls, like in Midnight when his normal charisma backfires in a paranoid situation. Instead she basically smiles smugly and eyefucks the doctor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=470qN_j6C9s&t=112s

Tempted to watch some ancient Who, at the very least wanna find out why this lady has a swapping face.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKRa06hP6vc

Oh man, Will Sasso?!? I didn't even know there was a Doctor Who in the 90s.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 26, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I remember her just assuming leadership by standing up and taking the confident commanding role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo
This guy was a pretty good Doctor the only time I'm seeing him.

Just watched a thing about the 7th Doctor. Getting kind of interested in seeing some of these old doctors, I remember falling asleep to vhs copies of them as a kid my stepdad had.

I wish Ace would show back up in current Who, a brief look at the wiki shows A Lot Of poo poo went down with her in the extended media stuff but AFAIK the character is still fully alive in the universe and could be brought back whenever.

I wonder how large or unwieldy the cast would be if they managed to hire back every living actor to ever play a Doctor or Companion.

It's also wild how much of Doctor Who was shaped by busybody people hand-wringing over if the TV shows are going to turn their children into murderous fiends or whatever. Yeah, it's the evil children's tv show, not the pedoparliament

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 26, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Rather missed opportunity for her sexuality given the name.

I think Ace is my favourite companion I've never seen an episode for, just hearing about her from Clever Dick's Doctor Who review series. Really figure I should get into the audio dramas, like, my whole TV style is "not physically looking at it most of the time" and the snippets I've heard of the dramas do a good job creating the setting audibly.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hate the resolution of the Lizardmen center of earth episode Cold Blood. Yeah, alright, give some time for humanity to adjust to the idea of sharing Earth somehow but a thousand years is silly! That's like half of civilization as is, in a thousand years, like, the areas they were gonna share might be chock full of humans or radically altered or humans are already living on other planets. Yeah I know the number isn't really important, but logistically feels like by that point humanity "being ready" to share will be because they've already advanced beyond them anyway and don't mind like, letting some primitive lizardfolk refugees have a place to chill on depleted earth?

The Krafayis supposedly travel around worlds but leave their weak behind. Okay, fine, but how are they getting around? Can bthese creatures naturally travel through space or do they have, like, technology made special for their chicken monster bodies?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 28, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Flight Bisque posted:

Meanwhile, "Johnny B getting his cock out" was at least known well enough to be joked about in the video they made for RTD's departure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giaMRyn47Xg

edit: at the 2 minute mark, I'm phone posting and can't figure out the drat timestamp.

If they're turning it into a running joke, they're basically excusing it? Accepting it? Seems like the sort of thing you nip in the balls, immediately, or else it becomes part of the workplace culture. I've worked at places that had "sexual harassment Saturdays" as a "joke," the longer that poo poo goes on the harder it is to try and fix it later when someone obviously takes issue.

It takes more than one horny creep showing the ol' chewed uphotdog to make a workplace where a horny creep can do it enough to make a running joke of it.

CobiWann posted:

JD Drake. He can pull it off.

Slap the face of Bo on an actor in a greenman suit or just get Tom Cruise.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you're a dude in media from The Past, I assume you're a sex criminal just waiting for victims to come forward finally. It kind of seems like for a lot of maybe just every dude in the world was some degree of sex pest by default? What year did they invent consent or discover women were sentient beings and I hope that year is soon because it's gotten real hard to find anything to watch not chock full o trashmen.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

It really is amazing how I went from sad to see Tennant go to utterly enamored with Smith IMMEDIATELY. He's just having such an amazing time and so happy to be alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVEY5AL5zzk

Welp, time to rewatch all of season 5 again!

I made this hump again the other day and I'm always caught off guard how sad I am at the transition and how quickly Matt Smith wins me back over. I think Matt Smith might've been the first doctor I ever saw, I think the first episode was kind ofa big story moment, Astronaut in American Desert and all. I was pretty baffled by the show, and that's probably one of the more confusing possible episodes to jump in on. Wasn't sold on the Doctor at first but I liked Amy and decided to go back to the start and got hooked on it since. Sometimes I think my favorite doctor is just whichever one I'm watching presently.

howe_sam posted:

e: ^^^ lol, I guess I was tilting at windmills a little, but my central point about how casting Gillen changed up the visual dynamic of the show stands.

What do you mean? Hasn't the show ALWAYS paired some attractive young woman with the Doctor usually as an older UK-looking dude? Granted, Amy is the first sex-worker companion but I don't think that really had any lasting effect on things.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I blame that movie Waiting for all of the testicles or penises I've seen in the workplace.

DoctorWhat posted:

They mean in terms of how the camera works. Gillen and Smith are the same height.

Cameras have always added 1 or 2 inches to the person being filmed, they could obviously make anyone set to whatever height they needed by adding more cameras.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 7, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

They're not going full Hobbiton to make Smith seem taller than Gillen, like CE and DT were with their companions (which is the point being made)

Oh wow, I legit did not know that. That's... so weird. Neurosis about relative dude altitude scars some people deep I guess. I was born the perfect height and managed to maintain perfect height every time the bumped it up a little, so I just don't know what it's like to be too tall or too short. Seems to really gently caress some people up.

Rhyno posted:

I've always taken the missing Troughtan tapes as proof that we are indeed living in the bad timeline.

Feel like I got some Brianstains Bares thing going on here. When I was a kid nearly all of the black and white Doctor Whos were lost, the BBC just taped over them because they couldn't afford to buy more VHS tapes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You're being dramatic, name one or two thousand things wrong with his run... oh right you can't, so maybe it's not so bad afterall!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm surprised how expensive some Big Finish stuff is. Just was looking for a jumping off point, looked at tenth doctor stuff and its 20-30 bucks each. Is there like a radio station or something that just plays random ones? maybe a streaming deal?

edit: Listened to this not realizing at first it was a fan thing, their fake 9th was really good!

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 13, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

It's a fan thing with the real cast. There's also a load on spotify.

My mistake, I meant to paste a youtube link but I guess I failed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wHMFRAZT6k

I was referring to this fan production, not Big Finish in general oops

p.s. Just finished Echoes of Extinction -- it was really good. I think I like this format a great deal, I'm horrible at looking at shows while watching them anyway. I've just got myself loads of new who.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Thank y'all, got me some options now.

I've just started an audio book The Stone Rose read by Tennent and it's hilarious when he does the voices for other characters, especially Jackie.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

You can't make poo poo like this up, lol

quote:

An ancient artefact, a stone arch anachronistically imbedded with electronic circuitry, is recovered following a rupture in an undersea stretch of the Mull lava group in North West Scotland, a geological feature dating from tens of millions of years ago.

UNIT's investigation will unlock a link to another world and bring them face to face with a new and powerful threat...

Admittedly I haven't listened to UNIT stuff yet, so I'm missing something for sure, but what's so unbelievable here? I know nothing about the computer-rock but I'd buy that basic concept in almost any scifi, certainly Who.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I really like the idea that The Doctor and The Master are just straight up the same exact person on different regens. Then again I'd also like it if literally everyone was a Doctor Who regen and the Who universe is just Doctors Whos experiencing themselves.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

That's the story Predestination is based on right?

Not sure and couldn't find the doctor who episode or story with that name to compare. I was mostly referencing some short story I remember where the whole bit was that God was every person in the world living different lives. Someone dies, they're in heaven talking to God, but surprise they are god and so is everybody else and they get sent back to an earth life to live as someone else, so God was every criminal and every victim at the same time, etc etc. I assume that version was derivative of something else though, fun idea.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

Predestination is a movie which is based on a Heinlein short story in which due to time travel all the characters are actually the same person.

OH wow, I kinda wish I had read the story and seen the movie before reading synopsis for both. That's a way better version of the story I was referencing, cuts out the saccharine after-life-god bullshit. I've thought before about using time travel to gently caress yourself, who hasn't, but I didn't take the extra steps to figure out how to impregnate and birth myself. drat.

I reckon the Futurama episode about something similar was inspired by that story.

Astroman posted:

I mean, be careful what you wish for and all, less is more, keep the mystery etc but killing them off again closes all those potential stories.

I feel like the Timelords were there, then they were gone, then they were back, gone again, stuck in a time war loop, back again, etc etc. Here, there, anywhere. What's the difference, bring em back, send em away, whatever emotion you need the Doctor to express just flip that "Timelords exist" switch.

Timelord Frustration Tangent: Now I know Timelords were established in the ancient times of Doctor Who and it's quite normal to long time Whoers that Timelords are literally just a bunch of fuddy duddy british humans -- but that reveal in the modern series was a legit reveal for me and the biggest disappointment of the franchise for me so far, despite really having no excuse for the expectations I had for myself. I guess I was still just really holding out that even though the Doctor always looked like some regular person, that it was just a Choice (for most of the usual reasons any alien is ever human looking). I was hoping amongst themselves on their own planet they'd kick back with their true forms, with all their cool alien biology and frilly tentacles and stuff on display. Naw, they're literally just regular human beings with a bonus heart and a superpower (which turns out to be some poo poo they stole and cant take credit or real ownership of anyway)

Doesn't help their society is just lovely and really pretty stupid overall. Way shittier and goofier than you'd think for people who can command time & space, can regenerate after death, have the ability to find the best elements of governance and society throughout all of universal history, then can go back in time, implement, then go ahead in time to directly evaluate results... like, should have a pretty incredible civilization with all that available to them... right? Nope, just one incredibly unimpressive city on ugly planet filled with the exact same composition of doofuses you'd find on earth anywhere.

They do have cool hats/shoulderpadcapes though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

happyhippy posted:

They don't seem to be the sort of people the Doctor would be created from.

Ah, well now we know it was they who were created from the Doctor. (really hope they change this whole shtick)

Doctor isn't a rebel, the Time Lords are the malformed copies, content to use their godlike power to make a really lame civilization and get locked in an endless war with trash can cyborgs.

Come to think of it, a lot of the biggest or most commonly mentioned species tend to really fail at making utopia for themselves, especially the one called Utopia. What are the most utopic time periods for a given civilization in DWverse? I reckon most that get names get them because a story deals directly with them, which I guess will often mean finding out that anything appearing to be utopia has a dark secret all along. Though maybe some that are just referenced and never visited or broken down.

TinTower posted:

There is a theory of the universe that postulates that the entirety of creation is just a single electron going backwards and forwards in time.

I'd recently latched onto the idea everything is just a momentary construct in a boltzmann brain in the late-stage universe, but I kind of like this one even more. You go little electron, such hustle! I am honoured to have been composed of you for a time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dabir posted:

Well, in the new show you're seeing them after a massive war. They're not at their best.

I let some retrospectives of various past Doctors play while at work or whatever a while ago and I remember the Timelords poking up a few times in it, didn't see Gallifrey though. The Timelords seemed at a glance similar, maybe more casual kind of being bureaucratic on the TARDIS or something so I can't judge either way yet. Were they cooler in the old days?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol at the Doctor putting together his space rifle to do an assassination on some old wizard.

I hope we get a series one day where a Doctor's new regen turns out to be evil and when Doctor kills the Master, we get a season of following a new slightly-good Master and a companion as they thwart the Doctor through time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think it definitely would be and I didn't realize/forgot that the character not named the Doctor was a the Doctor (kind of?). What the gently caress is a valeyard anyway, weird word that sounds like it might be a place or thing that I can't find anything for besides that character.

The Doctor is already definitely-arguably-evil so I don't think a more openly-evil is that big of a stretch. The Doctor kills, the Doctor mass kills, the Doctor ruins lives unasked and uninvited, the Doctor genocides, the Doctor gets people erased from existence, the Doctor evades justice, the Doctor judges which lifeforms are allowed to exist and compete and how they are permitted to behave. The Doctor decides the value of lives on a whim and just as whimsically involves himself directly in people's lives, histories, cultures, governments. Plus the evilness of Jesus or other demigods and gods who pick and choose what direct meddling and good works they do or not.

The Doctor is an interesting character because they do generally try to be Good and do grapple with some of their evil stuff at times, and hey, normally I'd say doing even one genocide was just like, Infinite Evil, can't "make up for doing a genocide" with any quantity philanthropy, right? Credit where credit is due, the Doctor has un-genocided at least one or two species they previously genocided. I reckon that's the only way to make up for a genocide and only for that specific one... and it's only fair people still get to judge you for it, most people go their whole lives never doing a genocide of any kind.

A pure evil Doctor probably wouldn't be any more interesting than Master at it's evilest though, then kind of just kind of builds in a big incongruent bit of character history to work around so it is a pretty pointless swap. I guess the Master is afflicted more often with stupid-evil or getting themselves stuck in an evil-corner, but to be fair that's really on the Timelords for their idiotic practice of scarring children's minds and then letting em be mostly immortal

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Astroman posted:

It showed them as being an advanced spacefaring civilization in the distant past, the center of an interplanetary multi-species empire. Heroic adventurers explored, fought monsters like the vampires, they were all telepaths and led by a Priestess-Empress called the Pythia who could see the future. They had a populous, teeming planet of cities and people. Their telepathy was more than what the Doctor and other Time Lords have shown, it was open minds, all the time in a sort of internet

They should still look freaky as hell, wings and lots of eyes and stuff, but yeah, this is some cool Time Lording, although I'm pro-undead/vampire seems rude to call em monsters.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Where are the TimeDukes, TimePrincessess, TimeQueens, TimeEmperors, TimePope, etc? Did the TimeSerfs ever break their chains to become TimeSocialists?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Love that the Time Pope's only mention is basically noting the time they decapitated him.

Also Helios' civilization living on the "surface" of a sun is just as dumb as his potato defeat.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Canon is such a hilarious concept for Doctor Who, where the very rules of reality are re-written on a semi regular basis.

I remember when i was growing up, long after McCoy and long before the new series, I would hoover up any DW books, magazines VHS I could get my hands on. My local library had a book where someone had tried to create a chronology of the universe based on all the old Doctor Who episodes. Even my naive pre-teen self could see this was an absurd idea destined to be a contradictory mess.

On the contrary, a franchise like Doctor Who has a built in robustness to deal and accept seemingly contradictory events in stride. In a lot of fictional canons, sometimes there are just two events that couldn't have both happened in the same reality, whereas in Who, even if an explanation is not immediately provided, any apparent canon issue can be presumably resolved in an appropriate time-wimey way, if someone gets round to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I've just walked to the gas station and back while there's a war on drugs ongoing in my country, so what?

edit: Really though, seems fine to me. There's infinity Doctors and I presume one of them eventually got around to making the War not happen as much as it once did, or maybe they made it happen later. Time's arrow is not straight, not an arrow, and it all makes perfect since when you zoom out far enough, which you can't.