Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Big Mean Jerk, was this from you?

Nope, the only board game coming from me was Forbidden Desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

He wanted all new writers, rather than have anyone from Before who had been successful.

On the one hand I applaud the attempt at doing his own thing without leaning on past success, but on the other hand... it’s uh definitely okay to lean a little, Chibs!

Especially when a lot of your new blood writers have just turned in kinda bland scripts with no character.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gameko posted:

Guess we'll have to wait for it to show up on Disney+ in five years. The best part is they can bring back Mr. I-ain't-gettin-no-Disney-Plus as Dr. #15:

He should be ready to get paid by then.

Is this some passive-aggressive swat at Boyega for speaking out about his character being marginalized and swept aside? Because he’s completely within his rights to criticize that and you sound like an rear end for baselessly implying he’s just holding out for money.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I just got done ripping and digitizing backups of all my MST3k DVD sets after finding a few with unreadable disc rot, and I figured I'd do the same for my Doctor Who DVDs since a bunch are around the same age. Even worse, some of the early releases were distributed by WB and their discs from that era are particularly prone to rot. And sure enough, I've already run into it on a few discs. So if you're like me and also have a large physical media collection you may want to check your discs. I've run into issues with my Dalek Invasion of Earth, Claws of Axos, and Lost in Time sets, all early (~2002-2006) WB releases. Nothing yet on any of the 2Entertain discs or any of the UK R2 dvds.

I'm gaining a real appreciation for the BBC's kitchen sink philosophy when it comes to these discs though, because I've found a bunch of little easter egg clips and outtakes through ripping that I never noticed the first time I played them.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 11, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m not a fan of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop to begin with, but I feel like they really went overboard in Claws of Axos. It’s just nonstop mashing on the synth and it’s almost unbearable.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
As I rip these DVDs, I’ve been watching a lot of 3rd Doctor stories I’d never seen before (which is most of them) and uhhhh I think I kinda love Jon Pertwee. It’s like someone crossed Ultra Q/Ultraman with a shoestring James Bond and it’s loving great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
how has it been 11 years already :negative:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Chibnall’s just giving us his take on the Davison era, which means Whitaker’s last story will ironically be her best.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

LividLiquid posted:

Catching up with the thread.

It makes me so sad how defeated most of us are about this era.

This current era just has Missed Opportunity written all over it and for once it’s actually primarily the showrunner’s fault. Chibnall is just so... dull. I can’t even think of a more creative way to explain it, everything about his tenure thus far just welcomes apathy and ambivalence because he’s dead-set on this weirdly grounded and low-key tone for all his stories.

Even the few times when the show’s gotten kinda weird with a story it’s still been this “low-budget indie minimalist sci-fi movie” kind of vibe. Which, don’t get me wrong, I dig 90% of the time, but it just feels wrong for Doctor Who. We’ve gotten two(!) strange and unique episodes out of 13’s run and only one of them was any good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

I’m assuming ‘It Takes You Away’ because yes, it’s like if A24 did a Who episode.

Yup. It’s still easily the best episode of 13’s run thus far.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s beginning to look like 13 will end up as a Doctor who goes largely underutilized until a much later project gives them a chance to actually shine, like 6 under Big Finish.

The real salt in the wound is that this ends up playing directly into all the YouTube nazi bullshit, even though the problem is clearly the writing and not Whittaker herself.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

So this is what all those Navy pilots have been seeing :thunk:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Teek posted:

Web of Fear episode 3 will indeed be animated on an upcoming re-release:

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=the-web-of-fear-cover-art-special-features-revealed

Can't say I'm a big fan of the animation style though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoCSHEI3Nmw

Oof, wow. Never thought I’d miss the old Frisky Dingo/Archer Season 1 style, but here we are.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
If I were showrunner I would simply make the show good. I don’t why Chibnall hasn’t tried that yet, it’s so simple.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I just now caught up on the thread, thinking the huge unread post count was about Sly or Tom dying or something, and man am I torn on the news.

Whittaker deserved so much better than beige-rear end malaise-era Chibs :sigh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Favreau and Filoni are massive fanboys though, especially the latter.

Personally I could care less if the next showrunner has ever even seen an episode of the original run. My only requirement is that they’re capable of producing a consistent number of episodes every season every year instead of the fits-and-starts nonsense we’ve had since basically 2010. Anything else is just a bonus.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Isn’t JMS crazy now, or am I thinking of a different 90’s sci-fi showrunner?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Astroman posted:

"Lotta fuckin’ planets have a Bawstin!" :haw:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The Suicide Squad is up on HBO Max now and even though Peter Capaldi is kinda underutilized in it he does get one good Doctor-ish speech.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah, that’s almost certainly some Power Armor sans shoulder pads on the guy behind the Cyberman.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Dumb filthy American speaking here, but if a US-style showrunner model means we actually get 10-13 episodes each year instead of *waves hands at the last decade of Who release schedules* then I’m all for it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

BIgDevine posted:

Really I see the two as unrelated! One says I don’t like the female doctor, u assumed it’s because it’s sue female, I just think she’s try’s to hard…

Someone stated that going back to a white male would be bad, I said that could be interpreted as a bit racist as the best person for the job should be chosen, I said idris elbra, who’s coloured.

Not sure if your calling me sexist or racist and saying the two have a connection… think you need to read more carefully myself but your welcome to your opinions.

Alright grandpa, let’s get you back to Facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mameluke posted:

Capaldi's seemingly-zero-effort costume of a hoodie or holey sweater under the frock coat was just absolutely perfect to me. And I don't really recall the two-parter, but I felt the sonic sunglasses and guitar were also inspired

I absolutely loved the couple of times he wore the hoodie/t-shirt-with-coat and the plaid trousers. I don’t think anyone else in the world could pull that look off, but he did it ease.