Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Open Source Idiom posted:

RTD's It's A Sin is so so so depressing. Very good so far (halfway through episode three), and very funny, but this is absolutely going to rip my heart out.

The subplot with the Welsh flatmate is going to some sad sad places, I can feel it in my bones.

Everything after episode two is an emotional slog.

I do hope HBO put it forward for some awards, because it’s deserving of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

He also seems to be the type to take any role as long as it’s cool enough.

He’s in the music video for Mr Brightside, after all.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Spotted this in B&M a couple of days ago.

I'm not sure about that date…

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Homora Gaykemi posted:

the only canon is Peter Cushing's Dr. Who

I love how the Day of the Doctor novelisation says that the Cushing films are actually dramatisations in-universe, and the Doctor liked them so much that he took Cushing on as a companion, allowing him to appear in films like Rogue One after his death.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Some guy on TikTok is doing "in a nutshell" versions of One serials (e.g. The Daleks), so if you fancy a laugh, check them out.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Another problem was, in 1984 due to the broadcast of the Olympics, the BBC edited the four part broadcast of "Resurrection of the Daleks" into 2 45 minute episodes. It ended up pulling decent ratings, so the BBC said make the following season all 45 minute eps. But the scripts had been commissioned, and turned in, so they ended up having to due a lot of revision to fit that format, including adding scenes that really served no purpose other than to pad the run time. And in the end, the 45 minute runtime wasn't really that popular. Plus, the BBC would schedule it against slick US programming like The A-Team. Eric Saward and JN-T butting heads over the tone of the show should take didn't help either.

But honestly, as pointed above, the real big hit was Michael Grade. Not only did he hate Colin Baker (because Colin had dated an ex of his), Michael Grade flat out hated science fiction, particularly Doctor Who. In fact, when he resumed his post as head of the BBC in 2004, he inquired if it was possible to stop production on the new series of Who, only to be told that it was too far along to stop.

Truly, Chris Morris said it best: Grade is a oval office.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I'd love for the Series 10 soundtrack to release. :(

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

Remember Adam? No, not the brief companion of the 9th doctor who went turbo evil in a comic. The other one. The fake Torchwood member that got his own special introduction sequence.

Well, Big Finish remembers him

I mean, its probably not wise to be casting Bruno Langley in anything these days.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Anything that hints that Ace is anything other than a massive lesbian is not canon, thems the rules. :colbert:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

She's obviously bi.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

There's also the "BARROWMAN! :argh:" jokes from the Doctor Who special of Buzzcocks which also didn't age well at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivOeugFS3K8

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I think it was less not being able to afford to buy the film but more a question of being able to afford to store it.

The BBC could probably store a good amount of their stuff in the basement of Broadcasting House these days; back of a fag packet maths suggests between a regular plastic box full of hard-drives and a 6 inch stack of hard-drives on a pallet should be okay for a year of live TV output, but I’d have no reference on the scale of their B-roll.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

We know for a fact that Barrowman's gross antics were common knowledge because there's a joke about it in The Ballad of Rusty and Julie. On the DVDs.

Also, the "BARROWMAN! :argh:" gag from the Buzzcocks special.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/matt_holsman/status/1393976343772155908?s=21

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

There is a theory of the universe that postulates that the entirety of creation is just a single electron going backwards and forwards in time.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Khanstant posted:

The Doctor is an interesting character because they do generally try to be Good and do grapple with some of their evil stuff at times, and hey, normally I'd say doing even one genocide was just like, Infinite Evil, can't "make up for doing a genocide" with any quantity philanthropy, right? Credit where credit is due, the Doctor has un-genocided at least one or two species they previously genocided. I reckon that's the only way to make up for a genocide and only for that specific one... and it's only fair people still get to judge you for it, most people go their whole lives never doing a genocide of any kind.

“The Glorpians have come back. When this whole mess started, there was one less species in the universe.”
“Well, there is a time war on, is it possible you miscounted?”

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The important question is whether the Time Pope’s TARDIS is called the TimePopemobile.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Everything is canon except for A Fix With Sontarans.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/badwolfarchives/status/1401093314359799813?s=21

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Tennant had moments, such as the “I used to have so much mercy” line, but Smith really nailed the weariness of a Time Lord on their last regeneration.

There’s probably also something about how the doctors and/or their stories map to the five stages of grief. Tennant is the most obvious in that regard.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I do like how TikTok reminds me of how good Moffat could get on occasion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM4VPJJ4yrs

"The Wedding of River Song" really was one of those sleeper hit themes, wasn't it?

TinTower fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 8, 2021

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Rhyno posted:

gently caress that, go off brand crazy, what's Ronald Moore up to?

Doing For All Mankind for Apple TV+.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

She’ll make Rusty’s gay agenda look straight by comparison.

And given most of her stuff takes place around the River Calder, I can’t wait for Aliens in ‘ipper’olme.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Payndz posted:

Ay up, Doctor! Theh's Daleks down at't Shay. Shift yer arse an' do 'em wi' yer sonic thingy b'fore theh get to't Piece 'all!

Daleks at the Shay would be an improvement.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1428140303655989252?s=21

Oh god, please.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/ballardiangorse/status/1434581545797529604?s=21

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Peter Capaldi liked this.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

daniel_bryan_yes.gif

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The Tories couldn't even complain about it going to Bad Wolf, because Piers Wenger shooting Gardner and Tranter an email saying "hey, we're having to tender this, but we'll give it to you in the end, wink wink" is exactly how the government give out contracts.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Lydia West for the Doctor, IMO. :colbert:

Although, in all seriousness, I do worry about casting people who aren’t white men as the Doctor becoming a tickbox thing that happens every thirty years, like how the Tories let a woman be party leader every so often just to get Feminism Points from idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The episode where Jackie calls the Doctor a nonce and Rose indulges in some light homophobia.