Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Confusedslight posted:

What a crazy coincidence that all this is happening around the return of the 9th doctor.

I'm not sure how to read this. Are you insinuating that Barrowman and/or Clarke were problems on the set of Series 1 and part of the reason that Eccleston stepped away and/or that Eccleston is the one driving these stories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

OldMemes posted:

Yep, he was stuck with a bad costume, Michael Grade personally gunning for him and some bad scripts. You can't accuse Baker of lacking energy! Dude was putting a lot of energy in - the Sixth Doctor is louder, angrier and has access to a time machine, but very few good scripts. Peri and Mel weren't written as the best foils for him either, but that's been fixed now.

I think Jamie's presence and function in "The Two Doctors" proved that Six worked best when he had multiple companions to bounce off of, as it allowed him to modulate his responses. He and Peri had a fairly one-note relationship, at least in his first season, so giving him someone else to communicate with kind of sanded down his rougher edges. Shame that they didn't learn anything from that experience and expand on the two-person team structure throughout the rest of JNT's tenure.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Dabir posted:

She doesn't say it out loud, but she says "now they'll see who you really are".

I remember it being preceded earlier in the conversation with something along the lines of "you don't fit their supposed Aryan stereotype", and then after she shuts off his eyeball-based cloaking device and snags the only elevator out, I believe she also tosses something like a "Have fun!" alongside the bit you quoted. So yeah, in individual pieces it's not terrible, but when taken together in an aggregate it kinda says something gross about Thirteen's character and her capability to weaponize people's identities against them.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

What the gently caress, Chris

I can understand not wanting her to familiarize herself with the character before auditioning, as you'd want to see what an actor can do with a blank slate and minimal input. I kinda feel like The Doctor is a role that benefits more from a strong personality than technical acting skills, so you want to see as much of the actor as a person and build the character around them in the writing stages that come later.

I don't know if they had her playing catch up after signing her, like Matt Smith did with Two or Chris Eccleston did with "The Talons of Weng-Chiang", but if they did it feels like they just sat her down in front of the Tennant years and called it a day.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

CommonShore posted:

MULTIDOC JODIE NOW LETS DO IT 13 AND 11 MAKE IT HAPPEN BRING IN 7 FOR FUNZIES IDC HOW OLD HE LOOKS NOW

Have 8 and 13 meet.

8: "...I'm not a beautiful woman, currently..."
13: "Naw, that comes later. :haw:"

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

jivjov posted:

One of them, Venkman I think, has a line about not bothering to learn your name since you'll likely quit or run screaming in a few days anyway

The_Doctor posted:

Wrong thread.

To be fair, I could see a theoretical parallel universe Bill Murray playing the Doctor have a line like that to a new companion.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Personally, I think that's one hell of a bird.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I don't know how that's supposed to work, unless they either never directly interact or end up both getting amnesia at the end of it, but I'm excited to see the potential outcome here. Felt like a waste that we never got to see Ten and the Jacobi Master directly interact, in proper character, on-screen, in their one chance to do so before Jacobi regenerated.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

jivjov posted:

It's post-Utopia, so 10 doesn't need to forget about it or anything.

So, Jacobi is gonna meet 10 during the Time War activities and then forget everything about it himself when he resets his DNA? I guess that'd work, but it would make "Last of the Time Lords" feel a bit hollower if the Master has had some kind of interaction with that incarnation of the Doctor, even if in a younger version, and not follow up on it later. From how those scenes are played by Simm, it's the first time that the Master has met any post-8 incarnation.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

OldMemes posted:

I'd like them to go full 6 and give her some audio original companions. A character as interesting as Evelyn, Liv or Charley would give 13 so much more depth than the underwritten TV companions.

The question is, where would you fit an original companion in? Theoretically, there may be one of those "unexplained gaps" in this upcoming season, or between it and her regeneration story, where you could stick some other stuff. As it is, there currently isn't a whole lot of time where The Fam isn't hanging out together in Thirteen's timeline.

The only possible time right now that I can think of is during those supposed "short trips" Thirteen is doing on her own, where she is apparently splitting time between visiting Gallifrey and hunting down the Master, that gets mentioned in one of the Season 12 episodes. (I forget which; the character beats all run together after a while.) And while that might be an interesting place to put a previously unmentioned companion or two, I don't know that Thirteen would be in a good headspace to have company tagging along. Plus it would ultimately do those characters a disservice if Thirteen leaves them to go right back to The Fam to... continue brooding over Gallifrey's destruction and chasing the Master, as we see in the rest of Season 12. Feels like any new companion introduced in that scenario would ultimately not be able to leave much of an impact and would essentially keep Thirteen in a form of character stasis, based on what we've seen so far. (Though that's hardly new with Chibnall's treatment...)

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Narsham posted:

Can we please let 13/Yaz have some time together before insisting, like the TV show, that we need some other companion? Yaz has been sidelined since being introduced and she should be levels of awesome that Amy and Clara wish they could achieve.

"This should be awesome" is the Chibnall Era in a nutshell.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

volts5000 posted:

Yeah, that was the Slitheen's plan. When the Doctor thwarted their plan, the public explained away the ship smashing into Big Ben as an elaborate prank. When writing the ending, RTD apparently forgot that the "elaborate prank" also included killing a bunch of MPs.

Didn't No. 10 Downing Street also get blown up by tomahawk missile or something at the end of it (which was the start of the ascension of Harriet Jones, Prime Minister, and thus the First Great and Glorious Human Empire)? How did THAT one get hand-waved away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

From an American perspective, it'd be Capaldi by a country mile.

Edit: Y'know, after I posted this, I asked myself why I think this, and it's not based on anything real. Nevermind.

I wasn't around for the Davison era, but not sure how much notice "All Creatures..." had on the American side.

From an American perspective, I'd think that Eccleston would actually be the biggest name, mainly due to small roles in biggish hits, a la 28 Days Later and the Nicolas Cage Gone in 60 Seconds. Those would lend him a bit of an "oh yea, that guy" sort of familiarity.

I'd imagine that Capaldi would be recognizable due to "The Thick Of It," but I don't remember that having a ton of mainstream appeal here in America. It always seemed like more of a niche show here, even after "Veep" and In the Loop had come out. Maybe he might have had a bit more recognition from World War Z or Paddington, since they came out shortly before his tenure started, but again, small roles, so not sure how many American fans would have recognized him from those.