Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Wheel of Ice (2/Jamie/Zoe) is good. Good book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

OldMemes posted:

I've heard people come down harshly on 7 having Dr. Klein as a companion for the same reason - the Doctor trying to rehabilitate a Nazi by showing her the error of her ways and giving her more life experience is a fundamentally flawed concept.

To the writing's credit, the plan doesn't work even slightly and Klein remains a fascist all the way through that trilogy. The Doctor is making a huge mistake out of guilt - guilt for creating her timeline, guilt for destroying it, and guilt for Alternate Eight seducing her - and Klein's rehabilitation only comes in the form of a version of her being written into the "prime" timeline without a fascist upbringing. And even then that has consequences in UNIT: Dominion.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

OldMemes posted:

Oh 7, with his crazy plans that sometimes horribly backfire..... There are some good stories out of "the Doctor screws up badly" or "makes a huge moral mistake", but taking Klein as a companion still seems like a bad idea.

UNIT Dominion is on spotify - can you follow that standalone, or are there other UNIT audios you have to listen to?

UNIT: Dominion is standalone and excellent. Of course, the big twist is better-known now, but it *got* me when it was new.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Not only did I go in unspoiled, I firmly believed the twist was *legally impossible* until it happened.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Johann Schmidt might be the cruelest interpersonal thing the Doctor has ever done and that hugely contributes to Seven's guilt and anxiety in Dominion.

Catfishing a woman in order to manipulate her into erasing herself from existence to fix a mistake you made is pretty miserable, even if she is a Nazi and the plan is to stop the Nazis

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Lidster's a very nice guy on Twitter but an absolutely awful writer.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Actually, I think i was overly harsh - Lidster is a very adept character writer, but his storytelling sensibilities are hard to like.

Again, very nice guy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Big Finish thing where Davison threatened to quit after Nekromanteia.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Big Finish did some stories with the safecracker character and she's basically an adrenaline junkie IIRC, but fun enough. I don't remember her introduction.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

She's obviously bi.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I know RTD's currently riding a wave of critical acclaim and good press because of "It's a Sin" and all, but people really need to be asking him "what did you know about this, and when did you know about it" in regards to this kind of poo poo happening while he was running the show.

Well in The Writer's Tale he talks openly about casting Russel Tovey in Voyage of the Damned for thirst reasons so

uh

hmm

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"I'm casting a hot person because I like to look at them" is beyond mild when listing the crimes of TV casting.

It's not a searing indictment but it came to mind, is all. It could reflect RTD's attitudes about a professional environment.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Khanstant posted:

What do you mean? Hasn't the show ALWAYS paired some attractive young woman with the Doctor usually as an older UK-looking dude? Granted, Amy is the first sex-worker companion but I don't think that really had any lasting effect on things.

They mean in terms of how the camera works. Gillen and Smith are the same height.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Binro has no room to exist anymore.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

We know for a fact that Barrowman's gross antics were common knowledge because there's a joke about it in The Ballad of Rusty and Julie. On the DVDs.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Season 6B is an old, OLD fan theory thing from WAY back. It posits that, following The War Games, the Second Doctor was NOT immediately exiled to earth and forcibly regenerated into Pertwee, but instead spent some amount of time in servitude to the Time Lords, acting as their agent, possibly alongside Jamie and/or Zoe, whose memories were restored to facilitate this and wiped later.

This is "supported" by various appearances by Troughton in 3, 5, and 2 Doctors and remarks made therein, and by large amounts of Wilderness Years material produced by the fans running the asylum. Arguably, The Two Doctors was an active effort to "canonize" 6B way back when!

The notion that Ruth!Doctor might originate from this same period, between Two and Three, lined up with her narrative role and her position as working for the Time Lords, made people think that the "6B" concept might be being reimagined. I would have preferred that to what they've done here.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

rian johnson's star wars: "obsession with the past is stultifying, kill your heroes"

chris chibnall's doctor who: "our protagonist's present and future is less important than this 40-year-old fanwank"

you: these are the same, to me

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

it's called season 6b, look it up

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

well, it's a story the SEVENTH Doctor is telling to manipulate someone. So who knows.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

An American Dr Who would be an order of magnitude less likely to be a terf

(Kohli's cool, I'd be very down for that)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m watching the 1970s Tom Baker season 16 on late-night pbs and I’m really enjoying it, it’s the first Dr Who I’ve ever seen, but I’m starting to wonder how many episodes start with a situation where two opposed sides are against each other and the doctor is captured by one side and the companion by the other after they get separated. So far, I think it’s been the setup for every episode this season.

Tom Baker is terrific and Mary Tamm makes a really great straight man for him. It’s too bad she just did the one season, but after reading up on why she left, it makes sense.

One of the reasons Four and Romana get separated like that is that they are, well, peers - they're both Time Lords.

So the stories pair them off each with "normies" so they both get chances to exposit and discover stuff on relatively equal footing until Tom Baker finds an opportunity to be condescending and horny.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Lemme see if I can find any in my big old Big Finish book

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

How's this? It's from like 20 years ago but wahey!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The narrative device is called a "confessional"!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Russell The Davies

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Payndz posted:

Jesus, seven years since 'Deep Breath' and 'Robot of Sherwood' and 'The Caretaker' and 'Kill The Moon' and 'Forest of the Night' and Moffat thinking that turning the dead Brig into a Cyberman and then exploding him was a great tribute to the character. What a shitshow of a season. (At least we got 'Flatline' out of it.)

Kill the Moon and Deep Breath both rule and so does Mummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1446894478304825347