Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Oh hey, my Secret Santa present arrived!

Thank you so much, Bicyclops! I absolutely love the DWM comic strip, and there's a lot of really cool-looking stuff in this collection I've never read before. After I'm done devouring that, I'm looking forward to reading these newer Titan comics too, since it's been a few years since I read them last. And how could anyone ever not love the 8-bit Mario Amiibo. :allears: (I might have to get a matching Link one to keep him company now, though.) My year's off to a brilliant start, thanks again! :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
He can't see himself in audio, duh

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I love the Beevers Master, that's why I made some

(the panels are a bit wonky because I couldn't get to a scanner so I just took a photo of each panel and stitched them together, you'll get a better scan after the plague times are over!)

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I haven't rewatched any of 13's run but Demons of the Punjab and It Takes You Away are the ones I remember being really solid. Other than those, I think I enjoyed at least The Witchfinders, Resolution, Fugitive of the Judoon, and The Haunting of Villa Diodati, but I can't vouch for how well they'd stand up on revisit. All in all the total number episodes I would rewatch/recommend isn't that much lower than it would be for the first two Capaldi seasons, for example (where I'd also pick maybe half a dozen episodes), but the highs definitely aren't as high and the overall baseline quality is much more dire than under Moffat/RTD.

I definitely hope Whittaker isn't leaving after the next season though, it really does feel like she just started in the role.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Yeah, it is pretty impressive how well they've been able to sell her as a real-deal Doctor just by consistently framing her as one without revealing basically anything about how she actually fits into the lineage.

Before the Series 12 finale I would have said her being a 6B Two-and-a-halfth Doctor is unlikely because the show doesn't usually go to those weird margins of canon for plot points as big as that - and also because I personally kind of dislike 6B because it's just a big mess of fan-rationalisations for things like why Three had a tattoo (it's because Pertwee had a tattoo) and why Two's hair was grey in the Two Doctors (it's because Troughton's hair was greyer in the 80s than in the 60s) and in general I just think we as viewers and fans should be capable of taking things like that as they are - but then it turns out the season arc was Morbius Doctors so who even knows at this point.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I like El Sandifer's theory that Warmonger is Dicks parodying Eric Saward.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Nothing is canon, except for stories that are directly contradicted by other stories, which are double-canon.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

CommonShore posted:

it looks like an n64 game.

https://twitter.com/Stephen_NDBB/status/1404455141093281798

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

So, what do we reckon? Season airing autumn this year, with seasonal regeneration special?

This sounds very probable, though I hope it won't come to that. It's about time to break with precedent and abandon the three-season rule since it doesn't account for progressively shorter seasons and longer breaks, and also it's a dumb rule anyway that's nowehere near the noble age-old tradition it's sometimes presented as (only Troughton and Davison followed it in the classic series anyway, and Tennant barely counts since he did a full year of specials after his third season, so it only really got codified with Smith/Capaldi).

Calling it now anyway: the regeneration special will be a team-up with Whittaker and Jo Martin, Martin will be revealed as the 14th Doctor, and the episode ends with Whittaker regenerating into Martin and getting brainwashed/amnesia'd by whatever Time Lord KGB she was supposed to be working for as well as Martin regenerating into whoever plays the 15th Doctor to star in the next series. That would be a pretty lovely way for Jodie to go, but at this point I would expect no less from Chibnall.

Confusedslight posted:

As someone's who's loved doctor who (to varying degrees by the end of the rtd era) since 05 I really don't understand the absolute hate towards chibbnal. Like yea it's not the greatest but it feels so weirdly personal :(

I wouldn't call it personal, but at least to me the Timeless Child poo poo represents a pretty serious breach against some of the core aspects why I think Doctor Who is a valuable thing. It's not that it's a bad story (though it is) or that it needlessly messes up continuity (though it does) or whatever; it's that before TC the Doctor was someone who distinquished herself from among her peers by her actions and will to do good, but after TC the Doctor is someone who is special by birth. Before, the message was that heroes are defined by their outward actions, and if you just want to do good you can be a hero too - what's the message now? That heroes are defined by their inward qualities, and if you're not born special, sorry? And yes, other writers have played with something like that in the Doctor's history before, but it's never been explicitly enshrined into the core of the character like it now has been. Yes, there's also still a chance it's a fakeout or there's something more to it than what we've seen, but it's still an idea that the show has presented us as something to be taken seriously, and it's a loving reprehensible idea that can't be taken back with a "lol jk" 18 months afterwards. It's also part of a really ugly trend of reactionary mythic hero bullshit that a lot of big franchises have regressed into (Rise of Skywalker being the most obvious example), and I'm sure I don't need to draw parallels to other ugly trends of reactionary bullshit prevalent in other walks of life. I don't think it's active malice or anything like that on Chibnall's part, but I really do think his take on the show and the character is destructive in a way that Moffat or RTD even at their worst never were.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Wasn't it previously reported that Series 13 would be 8 episodes? I guess that included the two 2022 specials, and apparently the third special is a new addition.

Whittaker leaving is sad but to be expected I guess. Chibnall going at the same time is a bit more surprising, especially when there is no obvious heir apparent.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Doctor debut stories that are very bad:
Twin Dilemma, Time and the Rani (haven't watched this in ages though, it might be secretly good like a lot of Season 24), Christmas Invasion, Deep Breath

Doctor debut stories that aren't great but do what they need to do:
Robot, TV Movie

Doctor debut stories that are very good and work great as an introduction to the show:
An Unearthly Child, Spearhead from Space, Rose, Eleventh Hour, Woman Who Fell to Earth (haven't rewatched this either, I remember liking it when it aired but I don't know if it holds up)

Doctor debut stories that are brilliant but that I would absolutely never recommend as an introduction to the show:
Power of the Daleks, Castrovalva

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Crazy news. It will be a huge breath of fresh air after Chibnall, but bringing RTD back does reek of JNT-ish desperation a little bit. I wouldn't be surprised if no one else wanted to run Who (it's obviously not an easy show to run) and he took the job to save it from cancellation.

I wonder if he's genuinely going for a full years-long run or if he's supposed to just be a stable hand acting as caretaker over the 60th and the next doctor's first season or so. I kinda feel like the most important thing he has to do is find himself a successor and make sure the show stays afloat until the next showrunner is ready to take over.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
BBC should simply start purging old episodes again, then everyone would have to watch the new show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=directing-writing-credits-confirmed-for-doctor-who-flux

All six episodes of Flux are written by Chibnall, except for one that he's co-written with the writer who did the Mary Shelley Cyberman episode last series.