Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Tonight's random Who was Death to the Daleks, which is a really great story suffering under poor storytelling and pacing. It's all infodumped rather than anything organic meaning that while there are a load of ideas being thrown at the viewer, they all happen in such close quarters to each other that the rest of the story feels a bit empty.

The crash-zoom onto a chequered floor is easily my favourite Classic Who cliffhanger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Probably the annual speculation by the British media that whoever's currently playing The Doctor is absolutely totally for reals leaving the role at the end of the current series, and you just won't BELIEVE who's in the running to replace them!!

Googled it and apparently it's that Jodie won't be on the cover of the 2022 Doctor Who Annual. Bit weird not to have the current Doctor on the cover, but naturally the press have gone full "Jodie Whittaker set to QUIT after Doctor Who Annual SNUB!!!!!" about it.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

The Keys of Marinus is also basically a model of how I'm expecting Series 13 to play out: a six-part story made up of an intro episode, a bunch of largely self-contained "find the McGuffin" episodes each in unique locations, then a concluding part to wrap it up.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Class3KillStorm posted:

The question is, where would you fit an original companion in? Theoretically, there may be one of those "unexplained gaps" in this upcoming season, or between it and her regeneration story, where you could stick some other stuff. As it is, there currently isn't a whole lot of time where The Fam isn't hanging out together in Thirteen's timeline.

The only possible time right now that I can think of is during those supposed "short trips" Thirteen is doing on her own, where she is apparently splitting time between visiting Gallifrey and hunting down the Master, that gets mentioned in one of the Season 12 episodes. (I forget which; the character beats all run together after a while.) And while that might be an interesting place to put a previously unmentioned companion or two, I don't know that Thirteen would be in a good headspace to have company tagging along. Plus it would ultimately do those characters a disservice if Thirteen leaves them to go right back to The Fam to... continue brooding over Gallifrey's destruction and chasing the Master, as we see in the rest of Season 12. Feels like any new companion introduced in that scenario would ultimately not be able to leave much of an impact and would essentially keep Thirteen in a form of character stasis, based on what we've seen so far. (Though that's hardly new with Chibnall's treatment...)

We basically see 13 doing that in Spyfall pt2 (albeit not voluntarily) and especially Can You Hear Me, so it's decently in-character for her to go off on her own and find some new people to hang out with for a bit. There's also plenty of nebulous time between the end of Series 11 and the opening of Series 12. I can't remember if it was stated how long they'd been back in the episode, but it felt like Spyfall started with them having some amount of downtime in travelling for the companions to go do their own things.