Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
One day, we'll know all the secrets of the shoes, and we'll stop our wandering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

aww, this was nice

Carrot juice, lmao

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the only canon is Peter Cushing's Dr. Who

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Susan is really bad, yeah, despite the potential of the character. Carole Ann Ford deserved better and you can see why she bailed as (relatively) quickly as she did

her replacement, Vicki, still has some of that but also gets more chances to be proactive

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

bessantj posted:

Well, I've heard about at least one story I definitely shouldn't buy, but what are the ones I should buy? Especially from the first 100?

From the first 100 -

The Fearmonger feels like Sylv and Sophie Aldred have just walked off the ser of Survival

The Fires of Vulcan is a decent historical that shows Bonnie Langford can do more than scream like they made her do on the telly

The Marian Conspiracy introduced a brilliant new companion for the Sixth Doctor who then goes on to appear in further stories with him

Spare Parts is a stone cold classic, a top story for the series regardless of medium

The McGann stories up til like #50 are a solid run of Doctor Who with McGann with a few ups and downs. After that is contentious

#58 is a really good Seventh Doctor story that has a novel premise for a returning baddy only to be like "haha, jk lol, just doing our usual" in the last episode

I know you asked for good ones but #60 is another "avoid this" one unless you wanna hear the Doctor fawn over grave digging murderers

Honestly apart from the rough post-#50 era for McGann there's really very few that aren't worth the few bucks they currently cost to listen to if youre interested in the Doctors featured

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

I'd missed the news about the new early adventures. I'm kinda whatever about a direct DIOE sequel, feel like we got enough of the implication of the aftermath when Susan was in the EDAs, but I'm glad for another Carole Ann Ford story at least and maybe they'll do something neat with it.

Recasting Dodo is interesting. Maybe interesting is too strong a word? More like "not something I figured they'd ever bother to do." I don't really have strong feelings about the character one way or the other, she was there, she was fine or whatever, and then she was gone. I am completely baffled by the weird vindictive streak the Virgin novels authors seemed to have against her

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

OldMemes posted:

Are there many other Big Finish stories that are ethically dodgy like that? I know everyone mentions that Nekromanteia almost caused Peter Davison to quit, but are there any more 'yikes' level ones?

Medicinal Purposes is pretty bad for having the Doctor fawn over Burke and Hare

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

OldMemes posted:

I'm really shocked Revenge of the Daleks hasn't been used yet! It seems like an obvious story title.

i guess the Cybermen having already nicked that one leaves people avoiding it, maybe?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
we can't have Revenge of the Daleks because none of the writers are bold enough to have the Doctor decapitate Davros while yelling "GIVE ME YOUR FACE!" at the end of it

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Looking at wikipedia's list you get to 160 including Shada and expanding Trial out to 4 stories

Nominally I would say Shada shouldn't count but I feel like the animated version with Tom kind of changes that since, even with them having to record new dialogue, it basically makes it as much of a "real" story nowadays as something like Power of the Daleks is

Not that quibbling about the exact number of stories by a number of ten one way or the other really changes the point of how prolific Big Fin's output has been

or that the animated versions of stories with no existing episodes are worse than just listening to the narrated telly soundtracks

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Astroman posted:

POLL:

Best Kangs:

[X] Red Kangs Rule
[ ] Blue
[ ] Yellow
[ ] PEX LIVES

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I remember reading something where Billie Piper said she wasn't interested in playing Rose again, and the only reason she did the 50th anniversary was because it was a different character that just looked like Rose, so we probably wouldn't get those audios anyways...

she's already done a set as Rose for Big Finish with Tennant

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Peri without the accent is like Eight without explosive amnesia

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

I think Barrowman is going to go down as well.

https://twitter.com/The66Ramblers/status/1140999393274814464

:yikes:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently it didn't air here in Australia til July which, actually, was pretty quick turnaround for those days I suppose

The ABC ad for the movie used Doctorin' the Tardis lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoepKvhUAg4

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

OldMemes posted:

Wait, why is Harry there?

He's in the second story of the box according to the descriptions

quote:

1.2 Fire and Ice by John Dorney

When Kate needs Harry Sullivan’s help with a threat from the Eleven, she and Osgood travel to Australia to meet him. He’s there with Naomi Cross, investigating footage of an apparent UFO crash that turned up on social media.

They find themselves caught in the middle of a conflict between Ice Warriors. And one Ice Warrior isn’t so icy –in fact, he’s red hot. And getting hotter...

Gotta get their mileage out of the characters now that they've recast him and Sarah Jane

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Open Source Idiom posted:

Didn't Terrance Dicks write Warmonger tho?

Peri getting threatened with gang rape, that's our Uncle Terry~

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the stunningly camp Cybermen with Time Lord collars was almost worth killing the gits off again

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Sorry, no, I'm not ready for the Doctor actors to be younger than me. I know that time comes for us all, but the moment has not been prepared for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

LividLiquid posted:

What's the story there?

there's two stories, really

first he appeared in The Curse of Fatal Death comedy sketch as one of its short lived Doctors in 1999

then in July of 2003, with the show looking unlikely to return, a webcast animation called Scream of the Shalka was announced for the 40th anniversary featuring Grant as the voice and likeness of the officially announced Ninth Doctor (and Sir Derek Jacobi as the Master)

the television revival with RTD was then announced in September of that year and while Shalka aired it and any potential followups were then kind of quietly swept aside for the proper big telly return