Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As always, shameless self-advertising: An index of the write-ups I've done for all the Revival Episodes so far, as well as the (distressingly large number) of Big Finish Audios I've listened to so far.

Be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

Television
8th Doctor - TV Movie: The Enemy Within | The Night of the Doctor
War Doctor - The Day of the Doctor
9th Doctor - Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways
10th Doctor - The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday | The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Blink | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash | Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | The Unicorn and the Wasp | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End | The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time
11th Doctor - The Eleventh Hour | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol | The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe | Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor | The Day of the Doctor | The Time of the Doctor
12th Doctor - Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Heist | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forest of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas | The Magician's Apprentice | The Witch's Familiar | Under the Lake/Before the Flood | The Girl Who Died | The Woman Who Lived | The Zygon Invasion | The Zygon Inversion | Sleep No More | Face the Raven | Heaven Sent | Hell Bent | The Husbands of River Song |The Return of Doctor Mysterio | The Pilot | Smile | Thin Ice | Knock Knock | Oxygen | Extremis | The Pyramid at the End of the World | The Lie of the Land | Empress of Mars | The Eaters of Light | World Enough and Time | The Doctor Falls | Twice Upon A Time
13th Doctor - The Woman Who Fell to Earth | The Ghost Monument | Rosa | Arachnids in the UK | The Tsuranga Conundrum | Demons of the Punjab | Kerblam! | The Witchfinders | It Takes You Away | The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos | Resolution | Spyfall Part 1/Part 2 | Orphan 55 | Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror | Fugitive of the Judoon | Praxeus | Can You Hear Me? | The Haunting of Villa Diodati | Ascension of the Cybermen | The Timeless Children

Television Gifs
William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi | Jodie Whittaker

Audios
4th Doctor Adventures - Season One
5th Doctor - Phantasmagoria | The Land of the Dead | Red Dawn | Winter for the Adept | The Mutant Phase | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Nekromanteia | Creatures of Beauty | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea | Singularity | The Kingmaker | The Gathering/The Veiled Leopard | Circular Time | Renaissance of the Daleks | Exotron | Son of the Dragon | The Mind's Eye | The Bride of Peladon | The Haunting of Thomas Brewster | The Boy That Time Forgot | Time Reef | The Judgement of Isskar | The Destroyer of Delights | The Chaos Pool | Castle of Fear | The Eternal Summer | Plague of the Daleks
6th Doctor - Whispers of Terror | The Marian Conspiracy | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Bloodtide | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | ...ish | The Sandman | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Project: Lazarus | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water | Pier Pressure | The Nowhere Place | The Reaping | Year of the Pig | I.D | The Wishing Beast | 100 | The Condemned | Assassin in the Limelight | The Doomwood Curse | Brotherhood of the Daleks | Return of the Krotons | The Raincloud Man | Patient Zero | Paper Cuts | Blue Forgotten Planet
7th Doctor - The Fearmonger | The Genocide Machine | The Fires of Vulcan | The Shadow of the Scourge | Dust Breeding | Colditz | The Rapture | Bang-Bang-a-Boom! | The Dark Flame | Project: Lazarus | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | Live 34 | Night Thoughts | The Settling | Red | No Man's Land | Nocturne | Valhalla | Frozen Time | The Dark Husband | The Death Collectors | Kingdom of Silver | Forty-Five | The Magic Mousetrap | Enemy of the Daleks | The Angel of Scutari | A Thousand Tiny Wings
8th Doctor - Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat | Other Lives | Time Works | Something Inside | Memory Lane | Absolution | The Girl Who Never Was | The Company of Friends
8th Doctor Adventures Blood of the Daleks | The Horror of Glam Rock | Immortal Beloved | Phobos | No More Lies | Human Resources | Dead London | Max Warp | Brave New Town | The Skull of Sobek | Grand Theft Cosmos | The Zygon Who Fell to Earth | Sisters of the Flame | The Vengeance of Morbius | Orbis | The Hothouse | The Beast of Orlok | Wirrn Dawn | The Scapegoat | The Cannibalists | The Eight Truths | Worldwide Web | Death in Blackpool | (Bonus) An Earthly Child | Situation Vacant | Nevermore | The Book of Kells | Deimos/The Resurrection of Mars | Relative Dimensions | Prisoner of the Sun | Lucie Miller/To The Death | Dark Eyes 1
The War Doctor - Only the Monstrous | Infernal Devices | Agents of Chaos | Casualties of War
10th Doctor Adventures - Volume 1 | Volume 2
Big Finish Specials - The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion | UNIT: Extinction | UNIT: Shutdown | UNIT: Silenced | UNIT: Assembled | UNIT: Encounters | The Diary of River Song Volume 1 | The Diary of River Song Volume 2 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 1 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 2 | The War Master Volume One

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I actually built a brand new Kamelion, and it works perfectly and will be an enormous benefit to the show. Anyway, I need to write down the operation instructions, but first I'm gonna go stick my head in a hornet's nest and bang a drum loudly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, of all the past writers on the show (short of RTD or Moffat writing one), the one I'd most want to return is Jamie Mathieson. Mummy on the Orient Express is a masterpiece.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Art. That what they just watched. :swoon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Many died or went mad making the HD transfer of Time and the Rani. We salute them o7

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It Takes You Away isn't just a great episode of the Chibnall/Whittaker era, it's a great episode of Who, period. I really wish it was the norm more than the exception.

The Woman Who Fell to Earth is a fantastic intro to the show, but it struggles to live up to that for the most part afterwards. Please Chibnall, at the very least do less of the writing yourself (and hire back Jamie Mathieson) :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The Invasion is one of my favorite 2nd Doctor stories for a ton of reasons, but a big one is Kevin Stoney's smugly evil recitation of his henchman's name.

:smuggo: "Packer..."

Listening to the commentary and hearing their sheer delight as Packer (...:smug:) gets progressively more and more unkempt and overwhelmed by the crazy bullshit going on around him is so great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If she ever wants a break she could alway go to her dad's pla... oh yeah :sweatdrop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dabir posted:

bit mean to take that completely out of DW's budget

Look, the BBC Controller really wanted that extra danish :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If I remember right didn't that also mean that Pertwee's old tattoo got revealed, which made some hyper-nerds from pre-Internet days lose their minds trying to come up with an "explanation" for how a newly regenerated Doctor had a tattoo, and decided it must be a Gallifrey prison-symbol or something to mark him as an exile? :laugh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Nick Briggs will NOT return my emails about my fully completed seven box-set Season 6b script series explaining the origins of the tattoo and that is NOT okay

Weird, I just sent him an email about "usenet celeb 1992's fully completed seven box-set Season 6b script series explaining the origins of the tattoo.... of the Daleks!" and he immediately started honking his horn outside my house telling me to hurry up and get to the studio so we could start recording.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Something I adore about An Unearthly Child is the antagonist caveman attempting his hardest to articulate the notion of thinking/speculation/visualization to another cavewoman, because he doesn't quite understand what is going on either but he knows he sometimes can figure out how things are without explicitly seeing them happen.

"My eyes tell me what has happened. As they do when I sleep and I see things."

Sydney Bottocks posted:

IIRC, that story was commissioned back when DW's original remit as a series was "purely historicals" with the only sci-fi elements being the Doctor and pals and the TARDIS, so that's why they didn't do the post-apoc earth, because the idea was to plunk our heroes down in the middle of history as a sort of way to get British schoolkids interested in historical studies. Of course, the very next episode knocked that idea for six. :v:

I always heard that the original idea was always meant to be "one historical, one sci-fi" with the idea being that the sci-fi stories would be about exploring potential interesting speculative ideas about the future which in turn would stimulate the minds of kids and keep within the educational remit intended for the show? From memory Neuman was very much about the historicals and wasn't entirely happy about the Daleks even if it was speculative about the dangers of nuclear war, but welp then the ratings came in....

As noted, it basically ends up being largely abandoned and the sci-fi stories are just rip-roaring space adventures and eventually the pure historicals (which I deeply miss) just got eased out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, The Witchhunters is a ton of fun (mostly due to Alan Cumming just loving hamming it up good and proper) and then suddenly it's all about some aliens in a tree or something and the whole thing falls apart.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just get the 11th Doctor to explain it all:

Eleven: Right, so you know those old kaleidoscopes you could get. You'd look through one end and you'd see this beautiful image, a series of seemingly interlinked images that all contained the same world but somehow each slightly different yet encompassing an overall cohesive whole? Dazzling with its beauty, endlessly fascinating to watch the patterns and light as you turned and each fractured part of the whole seemed to travel and shimmy in perfect lockstep with the other?
Amy: .... yes?
Eleven: Well it's nothing like that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Janet Fielding tells a great story about JNT telling her that she was hired to "get the dads in from their sheds" and her telling him to gently caress off with that bullshit :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Janet Fielding is a beautiful woman and was definitely one of my early teenage crushes back when she played Tegan, but she's also a wonderful absolutely-no-bullshit feminist and I can just picture her saying that to JNT :laugh:

In one of the audios the 5th Doctor catches up with Tegan many years after they stopped adventuring together, and somebody gets it into the Doctor's head that Tegan may have been in love with him. Finally the Doctor gets up the courage to ask her if this was true, and her :lol: in love with YOU!?!?!?! :laffo: reaction is a treat. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

bessantj posted:

I've been thinking about starting to collect the Big Finish monthly stories do I need to collect them chronologically or can I pick and choose the ones I find most interesting first?

You can pick and choose the ones that seem interesting, which is how I did it (before going mad and deciding to go back and fill in the gaps) - they're almost entirely standalone, there are some callbacks (or forwards) here and there but nothing that will make a story incomprehensible to you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I always argue that people should never avoid anything and come to their own decisions about whether something is poo poo or good etc.

With that said. Do NOT buy/listen to Nekromanteia.

Jerusalem posted:

I rarely suggest anybody avoid listening to a story because I always feel everybody should watch/listen to shows and decide for themselves... but I can only give my highest recommendation that you forget this story exists and don't ever put yourself through the misfortune of having to listen to it. It's a bad story. It's bad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Allegedly after they made it, Peter Davison told Big Finish he NEVER wanted the writer to do anything for them ever again. It really is that bad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's all kinds of utterly repugnant sexualization in there, including a cliffhanger of (content warning for sexual violence) one of the companions being in danger of being raped. "Luckily" we discover several minutes into the next episode that she wasn't raped, "just" brutally beaten for fighting back when he tried to rape her. Also the would-be rapist ends up getting the "happy ending" of the story by being promoted in spite of the explicit text of the story being that this was literally impossible to happen to him in his fascist society.

I'm not putting that poo poo behind spoiler tags for the sake of preserving the story, but because some people might not particularly want to read the finer details of the awful poo poo that happens in that story. The only spoiler would be if any of you were unfortunate enough to listen to it. It's dogshit, the absolute worst Big Finish audio I have ever had the misfortune to hear.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

bessantj posted:

Well, I've heard about at least one story I definitely shouldn't buy, but what are the ones I should buy? Especially from the first 100?

My personal choices would be:

The Fifth Doctor
24. The Eye of the Scorpion
34. Spare Parts
81. The Kingmaker (first half is a little dull but the back half is bonkers batshit insane in the best way)

The Sixth Doctor
6. The Marian Conspiracy
40. Jubilee
90. Year of the Pig (a personal favorite)

The Seventh Doctor
5. The Fearmonger (this feels EXACTLY like the final year of Sylvester McCoy's run on television)
25. Colditz (with David Tennant!)
85. Red (Red! RED! RRRRRED! RRRRRRRRRRRRRREEDDDDD!)

The Eighth Doctor
29. The Chimes of Midnight
33. Neverland (though it's the culmination of an "arc" running through most of the 8th Doctor's run, and the follow-up Zagreus is sadly not very good)
52. Scherzo (a goddamn masterpiece)
88. Memory Lane

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Another sad thing (beyond the obvious biggest one being John Hurt's death) is that it felt like they had finally really nailed down the War Doctor's characterization, with his final line ("I may be the worst of them all" or words to that effect) hitting really hard.

On the plus side, it leaves the listener to fill in the blanks pretty effectively between that last story and The Day of the Doctor, but man it would have been great to have heard more with him building on where they left things.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah it's a really cool concept and neat to see in action, but the physical performance is such a key thing, especially for somebody like Troughton. As a fun experiment though it is pretty drat awesome.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Legit one of my favorite 1st Doctor bits is when he shows up out of nowhere in The Keys to Marinus to save Ian by acting as his lawyer.... except he has zero legal training and zero knowledge of the legal system of the zone (and planet!) they're on and is just there to win by sheer force of personality alone :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Queen has been getting some stick recently about using Queen's Consent for her benefit, but if things get really bad her people are going to salvage her reputation by revealing she wrote to Parliament in in the mid 2000s saying, and I quote,"Do not gently caress with Doctor Who, or I'll go you with a knife."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I mean, she was married to the 11th Doctor after all!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I gave up on Torchwood after Cyberwoman (though I was ready to pitch the whole thing in the bin after the pilot and the introduction of one of the central characters as a straight-up rapist), never watched season 2 but caught Children of Earth based on the high praise and quite enjoyed it, then made it through I think one episode of season 4 and just gave up on it again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

This is a shot from upcoming movie Doors. Looks pretty familiar. :thunk:

<TWAAAANG>

All the "....of DEATH!" jokes aside, goddamn do I love the visual from this cliffhanger:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Ambassadors....* is definitely a fantastic story and well worth watching, but yes seconding that you should probably watch Pertwee's entire run because even when it got a little self-indulgent it was still great stuff.

* OF DEATH!
<TWAAANG!>

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Daemons is a standout, mostly because it understands that there's nothing wrong with ripping off Quatermass and the Pit. :hmmyes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Action Jacktion posted:

Now, Spearhead from Space, that's a rip-off; they didn't even try to hide it.

Also a great episode!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Doctor Who rips off Quatermass a lot.

And is the better for it :hai:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Payndz posted:

If you're gonna steal, steal from the best.

Terrance Dicks: Terry, you're the best.
Terry Nation: Thanks :)
Terrance Dicks: Now I need you to write me a new script.
Terry Nation: :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It really has become almost farcical over the years that no matter how small the stakes might be in a given episode there is inevitably a line thrown in about it wiping out all life on Earth or the Universe or something.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 21, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A rewatch is easy if you own every story on DVD (and now increasingly on Blu-Ray too) :shepspends:

Barry Foster posted:

love too listen to a Big Finish story which not only indulges in the myth of the clean Wehrmacht but actually has our heroes team up with Nazi POWs against a French resistance member

really cool, that

(This is Scorched Earth, by the way. I'm glad I didn't pay for this shite)

Yeah okay I haven't heard that story and now I have zero desire to. gently caress that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I listened to Dominion long before I heard any other Klein stories and she is quick to fill in any blanks you might have.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

Coming soon: RECYCLING OF THE DALEKS

Nick Briggs has been incessantly PMing the mods ever since you made this post, demanding your contact info.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

Big Finish is ending the monthly series after running it since 1999. That's crazy impressive: I've got copies of the Past Doctor Adventure books with ads advertising them on cassette tape (think they'll still send me Sirens of Time on cassette if I mail them a check?).

I think Sirens of Time is actually a free download at Big Finish at the moment, funnily enough!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Power remains absolutely terrific, amazingly modern story (modern being "good 1970s" rather than actually modern) compared to the hartnell stories only a few weeks earlier

But The Power of Kroll WAS made in the 1970s! :haw:

Seriously though, yeah Power of the Daleks is really great, I love the guy who has gone unhinged trying the,"I am your serrrrvant!" line on the Daleks and their response.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I try to avoid installing apps where possible but I have to say the Big Finish app is pretty loving great in terms of being able to just click any story I've purchased and instantly download it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

[ X ] PEX LIVES

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No need to beat around the bush on that one, he's just a straight up rapist. It's one of the most baffling writing/character choices I can ever remember seeing in a television show. They just have one of their main characters be a literal rapist in the first episode and then he's supposed to be the "cool" guy character from that point on and I cannot figure out what the hell they were thinking.

I feel bad for Burn Gorman too, because it really put me off him as an actor for a long time even though he wasn't the guy who wrote the character. Happily he still seems to be doing okay, he was the antagonist of season 4 of The Expanse and was really, really loving good at being a hateable piece of poo poo without resorting to being a rapist (which... again, Torchwood had him be a rapist and thought he was still a protagonist!).