Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZADkls2ntc

Not My Daleks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Rory is the 4th or 5th best companion of all time so I welcome this.

50 pages of him sitting beside the Pandorica, 1 page of him lugging it from to a safe site when the place burned down.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Maybe I missed it in the thread, but where is the '6b' theory coming from for Ruthdoc?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Edward Mass posted:

Considering she has a TARDIS stuck as a phonebox, it’s the only period of time that works without going stupid.

We know there are alt universes, so why not an alt doc?
Tennantdoc clone went to that alt dimension with Rose, so have some way of Ruthdoc being the 13th from her universe.

Edit: Oh I have watched all of Doctor who, just not into the books/audio/comic, so was wondering if it came from something there.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

Timelord Frustration Tangent:

Yeah, as someone who only knows the lore from the TV show from late 90s onward, but mostly from 2005 on, the Timelords seem just wrong.
Like they are meant to be these super intelligent species that have attained near enlightenment, until the Daleks gently caress them up, but look to be a military dictatorship.
You have the inner palace city filled with the ruling military, a ghost library complex that will kill you if you enter below them, and then third world desert huts within walking distance. And we only see one city, nothing about the rest of the world.
And all non-military people we do see, supposed time lord citizens, dress like medieval peasants.
They don't seem to be the sort of people the Doctor would be created from.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Previous Doctor's have been totally overboard evil too.
Like Family of Blood. Sure they were murderous aliens, all they wanted was immortality.
But imprisoning them forever with nothing they can do, but still awake?
gently caress, thats cold.
But hey, the melodramatic soundtrack and telling of it made it alright!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
The main problem with the Timeless Child is that it took killing of kids to get to know how to regenerate.
It even says in the episode it took years and several of the generations, and we see the kid grow until a teenager nearing eighteen.
Either that's the most unlucky kid or Tecteun pushed them over the cliff again a few times deliberately.
And starting an empire on a spate of kid torturing never usually gives it a good name from then on.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 6, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Dabir posted:

The Master said it, so it's explicit and unreliable.

Flight Bisque posted:

The Master said it, so it was explicitly stated but also unreliable.

Which fair play to Chibnall, he did give an out to the whole thing for someone. Not that the Doctor being a big stupid dummy and believing the Master's incredible lies is a GREAT out, but well you know....

From a VR video supposedly hidden in the Time Lord Citadel.
Sure the Master could be lying that she is the TC, but did he whip up the VR recording she watched too?
Bit weird when you didn't need to do that, as the real plan was to make Time Lord Cybermen anyway.
And the Master doesn't know about Jo Martin Doctor, unless I'm mistaken.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Seems one of the time periods is 1900's Egypt if what Yaz is wearing is anything to go by when John Bishop prat falls

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Edward Mass posted:

If reports are correct, Vinder is NOT a companion.

He has a gun in the publicity photo. Kinda can assume from that.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

My dream casting for the next Doctor is going to be the same every time we hit a regeneration

Who's this?

Riz Ahmed would be amazing, but hes doing Sandman atm.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

CommonShore posted:

Instead of dream doctors, how about weird doctors? Doctors whose overall vibe goes in a direction that the show hasn't done yet?

(White guy questions aside...) I'd be interested in seeing what someone like John Bradley West (Sam from Game of Thrones) would be like in the role, though I don't know if he specifically would be up to the challenge.

Naveen Andrews
Nicholas Burns (though he was in it already as a char but imagine a more Nathan Barley doctor)
Ben Whishaw
Noomi Rapace
Luke Newberry (great in In the Flesh)
Ricky Tomlinson as a no shits given you do what I tell you to do now doctor

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The_Doctor posted:

I saw a dvd of John Bishop’s standup in the pound shop today. It’s weird to think he’s the new companion.

Imagine if it turned out he was the next Doctor and he decided just to see what it was like to be a companion for a while.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Snorb posted:

And Tom Baker's "Oh, if I were you... Maybe I was you! Or maybe you were me!"

This is one of the few parts I watch over and over and over again.
It's just perfect. So much emotion, perfect music, so much massive things ahead, so much not said, perfect writing.

Has this ever been expanded on in the audio books, comics, semaphore, zoetropes, etc that I don't follow?

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 27, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

I'm still bewildered that Revolution of the Daleks didn't open with Jack discovering that the Doctor could have escaped at ANY TIME and has basically been using the prison as a place to do some thinking and is just casually leaving her cell whenever she feels like it, solving problems, befriending prisoners and guards alike (and helping them with personal problems and teaching them to grow as people), teaching the Judoon to play snap etc. Jack shows up and she basically goes,"Ahhhh jeez, well I can't just let you stay here so I guess I have to escape now" and just walks out the front door.

Either that or she should have been pulling a Hogan's Heroes PURELY because she really digs Hogan's Heroes and thought it would be fun to do that for a couple decades before bouncing to rejoin Yaz, Ryan and Graham.

That opening was the definition of the sheer laziness.
They could have had the Doctor spend decades there, so many stories and situations.
Made friends with some enemies she fought before, and all broke out is some mad complicated scheme
Hell, she could have just come across Jack who was serving a sentence there, and Jack goes 'Now I know what those words you said to me last means!', or 'You told me to give you this' and its a Tardis key, or some Bill & Ted time travel poo poo.
But no just a badly CGed bouncy ball effect and insta out.

Doctor who cliffhangers used to be worth waiting for, but the last few were utter copouts, forget them here's a one second distraction instead.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

You know I really can't think of a more terrible idea than the Timeless Child, if you think about it, it's the most terrible ide-

:stare:

One of the Timeless kids makes a robot for itself to play with.
Its a Dalek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Ah well.
Hope I'm alive when they next reboot it in 20 years time.