Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The only thing that the Doctor cannot be is American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I would argue the Doctor's most defining feature is their Britishness.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I now want Limmy to play The Doctor.

"Eh yuu gun gi da wean a boh uh waa?"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cerv posted:

feel like we're. through the looking glass when in the headline Chibnall is referred to by name but JMS is demoted to needing an explanation of who he is.

I'd expect that a British media twitter account would think that their intended audience would be more familiar with current British Sci-fi productions than a 25 year old American one.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Narsham posted:

Capaldi as Caecilius in the next multi-doctor story confirmed!

Mister Doctor? It's Strange, but who am I to judge?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

From my boyfriend’s university textbook:

Why does that photo look 40 years older than what it really is?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lookin' especially Illithilidy there, Oodguy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Earth shock is the best Doctor who series of all time because they kill Adrick.

It's also a Cybermen series.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Foreshadowing the attire of the other Doctor that was played by a man named Baker.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Timby posted:

Eccleston's memory is a bit off; as I recall, the BBC's release was actually a bit worse, saying that he was leaving the series over fear of being typecast, and they ultimately had to retract the entire piece about a week later.

Ah yes the very famous Dr. Who episode, "GasLight".

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The look like such happy genocidal murdertanks.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
And then she got Exterminated. :(

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I spent two seasons of the 2000s Battlestar Glalactica thinking Baltar was named Balthazar. What the gently caress kind of name is Baltar?

A surname.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Class3KillStorm posted:

I wasn't around for the Davison era, but not sure how much notice "All Creatures..." had on the American side.

From an American perspective, I'd think that Eccleston would actually be the biggest name, mainly due to small roles in biggish hits, a la 28 Days Later and the Nicolas Cage Gone in 60 Seconds. Those would lend him a bit of an "oh yea, that guy" sort of familiarity.

I'd imagine that Capaldi would be recognizable due to "The Thick Of It," but I don't remember that having a ton of mainstream appeal here in America. It always seemed like more of a niche show here, even after "Veep" and In the Loop had come out. Maybe he might have had a bit more recognition from World War Z or Paddington, since they came out shortly before his tenure started, but again, small roles, so not sure how many American fans would have recognized him from those.

All creatures great and small definitely saw circulation on the PBS scene in the US.