Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I really just don't get how the Doctor ended up here when the early revival was just so good. It's frustratin.

Time for Disney to buy the whole thing and start a 20 year movie franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Gameko posted:

I really just don't get how the Doctor ended up here when the early revival was just so good. It's frustratin. How can the writing be this bad?

Time for Disney to buy the whole thing and start a 20 year movie franchise.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

It's been almost 16 years since the revival started, and we're 5 "full-time" Doctors into it with talk about who might be the 6th. It's a fair whack of time.

For context the original run went 26 years with a lot of ups and downs along the way, and at this time in the original run Tom Baker was into his last couple of series.

At this point I prefer original who hands down. I'll take the most boring 2-set Jon Pertwee no budget bottle episode over the debacle that was the 12th Doctor's debut.

The moment in Deep Breath when Lady Vastra and crew come ninjaing down on to save the day...what am I even watching? Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Same here, nuWho looks slick and there are times when the show has flashes of genuine heart, but I absolutely hate that it's designed for the modern era of television and everything just feels like it's in a hurry to get to the end of the episode because it all has to be wrapped up in 45-55 minutes or so. Whereas putting on something like a six-part Pertwee story is like comfortably slipping into a big recliner and relaxing with a nice hot cup of tea at the end of a long day.

This is a good point that I hadn't thought about much. The reboot sits in the unenviable position of being an episodic series in the age of prestige television. Episode format feels archaic and...childish? At least in the year 2021.

Staple that to the fact that Who is a cultural icon that plods on despite itself and is meant to be a family show: you end up with something that feels pretty unsatisfying. Old Who gave characters and situations plenty of time to breathe (sometimes to a fault). As an American who grew up watching Dr. 4 and Dr. 5 on PBS the feel of the show was so different from the domestic television of the time. We're never going back to that kind of pacing, but man... a modern Who written as a smart, 12 part prestige series could be a thing of beauty.

Guess we'll have to wait for it to show up on Disney+ in five years. The best part is they can bring back Mr. I-ain't-gettin-no-Disney-Plus as Dr. #15:

He should be ready to get paid by then.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

I'm sticking with my prediction. John Cleese famously said the best parts were in the UK but all the good money was in America.

Boyega's just one good scandal away from crawling back.

(Plus I really want to see him as the Doctor...I think he's got that perfect blend of gravitas, charisma, and wit.)

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

I was hoping more tax fraud for Boyega. That's the one that seems to get nice folks in trouble. Of course, that rarely happens in countries with sensible tax policies...

Y'all seem pretty opposed to my Disney+ dreams for the Who. I hope my fears of the Disney singularity (where all professional actors are obligated to work for them) are unfounded. Even so I'm a lurker who never posts and don't want to raise a fuss. Can I ask a more serious and on-topic question?

I gave up on the modern Who after Deep Breath. I was really excited when I heard Jodie Whittaker was coming on board, because I really love her work and I thought (like most people) swapping her in as the Doctor could revitalize the series. Most of what I've read about her run has been negative. If I were going to cherry pick some Whitaker run episodes, which would you recommend?

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

Boyega just wanders onto the TARDIS set and starts fiddling with things

And then the whole set dematerializes :stare:

Start of a whole new arc and direction.

Boyega plays the Doctor, who after a recent traumatic regeneration finds gaps in his memory. After dematerializing the TARDIS he's stuck on a BBC set, and people seem to know him as John Boyega. The series will start off as a relatively benign fish-out-of-water storyline with the doctor living in modern day UK...trying to maintain his cover while piecing together his memories and confronting ominous, behind-the-scenes threats that seem to be converging on this time and place. (Namely, the entertainment industry during a pandemic in the year 2021.) He makes a few allies and a few proven enemies, who may just be misguided humans or may be something more sinister...

This series must include scenes of Boyega playing the Doctor playing Boyega. And as the series begins to build towards its finale it will be revealed that the ultimate evil is the Dalek Insurgence Strategy for a New Empire Yanked from the Place Left Unnoticed by the Sodality.

(Ok seriously I think a change in direction like that could really work and may be appealing to tighter budgets and weird production schedules during COVID. And no I'm not serious about the Dalek insurgency. I *am* serious about Boyega playing the Doctor playing Boyega.)

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Narsham posted:

You want to just hit the minimum highlights while not really knowing what's going on? Watch Demons of the Punjab, It Takes You Away, Spyfall parts 1 & 2, Fugitive of the Judoon, and The Haunting of Villa Diodati.

I'd suggest watching The Woman Who Fell to Earth, Rosa, The Tsuranga Conundrum, Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror, and Can You Hear Me as well. You probably won't like everything in all of those, but you will probably like some things in some of those.

But really, you ought to watch Capaldi's last season starting from The Pilot. There's at least one "shout at the screen" bad episode in that run, but on the whole it may be one of the strongest seasons of the show.

A classic what? (Actually, I rather like Time and the Rani. I don't think it's good, but it's bad in enjoyable ways.)

The main reason not to pick Time and the Rani is that the script was originally written for 6/Mel and you can tell that from time to time. Really, any 7/Mel episode after that is going to be watchable. I'd choose Paradise Towers, but Delta and the Bannermen and Dragonfire are both watchable.

Got a few different recommends above but Narsham was the most comprehensive. I think I'll go back and give the last Capaldi season a whirl too. Might as well! I'll give it a few episodes before abandoning it so I hope it's not front-loaded with the worst stuff.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

I've been watching the 2nd doctor story arc "The Invasion." We had a 3-day Who-Fest in college (Started Friday night and went into Sunday evening) and I fell asleep somewhere on Saturday morning, missing this serial completely. My friends persistently said it was good, and I must say it's pretty interesting. Bonus for me: the lost episodes have that audio/animated feature treatment, which we did not get back in the VHS era.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Packer!

There were some pretty choice melodramatic lines in that series, that's for sure. I also like the constant radio exchanges.

"Yes sir. We'll follow them sir. Over and out."

"What did he say?"

"He said they'd follow them!"

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

PBS broadcasts remind me of Dr. Who.

Here's a question...what happened to the buget for the show between the 2nd and 3rd doctors? Troughton's run never seemed to skimp on sets, extras, music...Pertwee's Doctor always felt held back. The music definitely seemed to take a nosedive during the 3rd doctor...and wasn't the decision to keep him on earth an excuse to slash budgets?

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

I rather thought the color switch might be the reason.

Pertwee's run is the one I'm the most willfully ignorant of. When a Pertwee episode was on I just changed the channel. :( Guess I'm off to watch spearhead from space!

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

I just went back and watched the unearthly child, which was one we couldn't get when I was a kid. Whe n they got to caveman times I thought we were heading for a twist where they discovered it was a post nuclear future. I guess the story was supposed to be around the ice age? It felt like there was a missed opportunity somewhere with the observations made about how cold the sand was and how ORB had gone from the sky.

Regardless it was entertaining. The doctor doesn't end up in the distant earth past too often.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Here's a discussion topic. Here in the USA, conventional wisdom states that the 6th doctor really killed the series and the 7th doctor saved it. (Of course the show was canceled after the 7th Doctor's run.) Any thoughts on that assertion?

I've liked the 6th doctor and 7th doctor episodes that I've seen and I honestly prefer the sixth doctor, though ace is one of the all time great companions. Why did the sixth doctor get such short shrift?

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Thanks for the historical perspective on doctors six and seven. As I understand it the sixth doctor did much better in the novelizations, and they swapped out his technicolor dreamcoat for a daper plum suit.

Who is the worst reboot doctor? I think they all bring something good to the role so its hard for me to condemn any one of them. Generally my displeasure with modern who is focused on the writing and series direction. The performances in who are almost always worthwhile...even the ones who chew the scenery.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Which episode arc is that? I thought all the pertwee stuff was shot in color. Guess it's somewhere at the end of the 2nd Doctor's run?

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Aha! That makes sense. But is it a story arc I should look up?

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Sounds like I can greatly smooth over my viewing of classic who with a britbox subscription. It's possible to find a lot of episodes on weird, off-brand streaming services, but it's almost more trouble than it's worth.

...looks like Red Dwarf is on there too...I never did watch the last series. I felt like the show lost its soul when Chris Barrie left. Wouldn't be bad to catch up on... And oh! Father Brown!

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

A rewatch is easy if you own every story on DVD (and now increasingly on Blu-Ray too) :shepspends:

Yeah okay I haven't heard that story and now I have zero desire to. gently caress that.

For classic who on blu-ray, what do they do to pump up the releases? Obviously it's shot on video so the resolution is what it is. Do they do fresh color-grading? Do they use those wild AI algorithms to artificially scale up the res?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

There's also Creed of the Kromon that is blatant fetish stuff, that particular writer has a thing about women being turned into grotesque queen ant style egg sacs, it's really gross and creepy

There are probably a few more but I can't think of em at the moment.

To be clear, the theme of Scorched Earth is basically 'you can't hold onto hate forever, it will consume you', which is all well and good, but not when it comes to loving Nazis, and especially not right now. Like, read the room, you idiots. I don't think the people at BF are secret Nazi sympathisers - they're clearly and obviously cosseted middle class white liberals, and it probably never even occurred to them it was a real bad look - but I'm definitely looking askance at the writer

I was going to ask when this was written but...2020? Yeah, it's not the right time for such a storyline, I'm sure. It's always tough to judge historical works through the same lens though. I think classic who does a passable job of portraying women as competent and valued contributors to the story arc (quite often they're the smartest, calmest person in the room next to the Dr.), though they're often put into your standard damsel-in-distress situations.

Compare it to classic Star Trek though and it looks positively enlightened.