Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Gameko posted:

I really just don't get how the Doctor ended up here when the early revival was just so good. It's frustratin.

Time for Disney to buy the whole thing and start a 20 year movie franchise.

It's been almost 16 years since the revival started, and we're 5 "full-time" Doctors into it with talk about who might be the 6th. It's a fair whack of time.

For context the original run went 26 years with a lot of ups and downs along the way, and at this time in the original run Tom Baker was into his last couple of series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Homora Gaykemi posted:

there's two stories, really

first he appeared in The Curse of Fatal Death comedy sketch as one of its short lived Doctors in 1999

then in July of 2003, with the show looking unlikely to return, a webcast animation called Scream of the Shalka was announced for the 40th anniversary featuring Grant as the voice and likeness of the officially announced Ninth Doctor (and Sir Derek Jacobi as the Master)

the television revival with RTD was then announced in September of that year and while Shalka aired it and any potential followups were then kind of quietly swept aside for the proper big telly return

I wonder if they ever considered him as the War Doctor.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

HOLY poo poo.

gently caress I wish we could get a Jodie series with him in charge.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Also I might be cynical, but this seems like it must either be that he has a great idea, or that the BBC were close to putting it back on ice for a while without someone from the revivals most popular series involved.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

:bisonyes::five::yeshaha:

this show might not actually be loving trash

I can’t even imagine that

It’s been loving trash for so long

What great news

Oh it might well be trash, but it will be fun trash.

The RTD era MK1 had many issues, and at the time we were justifiably happy to see change, but I miss knowing that even if an episode was forgettable it would be fun to watch.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Confusedslight posted:

Well I guess that definitely 100% seals the deal on 9th not being back for the 60th.

Or the other way around? The issues Eccleston had weren't with RTD were they, indeed they'd worked together previously?

Edit: has everything of Chibnalls already been filmed?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Interested what the vibe of the 60th will be. The 50th hit around the peak of Who's international popularity, and with Smith about to move on acted as a celebration of his and Tennants eras on the show, and also served to wrap up a bunch of threads.

The 60th this time around might well be the first time we meet the new doctor.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If you Google search Doctor Who all the previous Doctors other than 13 are listed as Fugitive Doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I just want episodes where they can show Jodie having fun playing the doctor, why would I care about big BIGGEST CHALLENGE EVER WILL CHANGE THE DOCTOR FOREVER! type stuff when we know the showrunner is changing and it's not likely to have much impact anyway.