Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

From a file folder very far away posted:

Name: Mick Gunn (used to be Gunnderson)
Precinct: 2nd Docks District
Previous: 5th Vice
Type:
Synthetic Humanoid [+2]
As far as Mick knows, he’s the only one of his kind. Since his awakening in the middle of nowhere, he’s spent all that time absolutely knowing two things. First, he's a cop and has always been a cop. Second, that it’s the 1920’s era of Chicago. Although he’s managed to take some damage here and there, his synthetic body is built of some alloy that is bulletproof, and yet incredibly light. He’s also managed to discover numerous tricks and gadgets built in, though his favorite is the lighter in his thumb.

Skills:
Senior Detective [+2]
The first thing Mick did was find the nearest police department and apply for a job. After the second and third departments shot him, he decided to to get declared a citizen, and then to become a cop. 50 years later, and he’s still at it. He’s turned down numerous chances for promotion in order to do what he loves best, take down the bad guys by whatever means needed.

Perfect Recall [+2]
Everything Mick has ever said or done is stored in his memory. He can recall it with perfect clarity and even project it onto a nearby flat surface with his eyes.

Abnormal AI [+2]
Mick’s brain is totally synthetic and basically an incredible super-computer. But it doesn’t act or think like one all the time. If he really pushes himself, he can learn things incredibly fast, interface with other machines, or perform incredible calculations lightning fast.

I was trying to brain my mind around the whole thing. I was supposed to dead and gone, floating face down in the harbor along with with all the other stiffs that get put out of their misery. But somehow here I was, ticker still ticking and with far fewer holes than I expected. Oh sure my metal shell could stop most things, but you bring heavy enough ordinance and it's curtains, even for me. I was pretty sure my jaw was hanging open like some yokel in from the sticks, trying to take everything in at once. It was impressive though. And gent in the middle seemed pretty sure this was all his. You can just tell with some people.

I reached into my jacket and snagged a cigarillo from my case, lighting it with my thumb. Yeah sure I didn't have lungs to inhale with, but I could still taste and for some reason the act calmed me down. As I exhaled a decent sized cloud of that good hickory smelling smoke, I made up my mind. I wasn't going to be to first to start yapping. I'll wait for the others of the group. Weird as they all might seem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

I didn't have all the fancy hardware that you sometimes got in those dime store sci-fi pulps, but my eyes worked enough to realize that the tall being in purple wasn't breathing. Wasn't moving at all, it seemed. None of the twitches and tics of life. Oh sure it remembered to blink occasionally but it was off somehow. Was it another creation like me? Something else entirely? I'd find out in time.

I shifted my gaze to the cat in cat's clothing, so to speak. Was it really a lionman or some elaborate disguise? I'd already realize that the normal rules didn't apply here. It was a trained fighter, that was certainly. The way it kept its gaze moving, always waiting for the knife that would try to stick it in ribs. The way it stood, ready for any action. Fighting or running, it didn't matter. Any action. It hadn't spoken yet but I desperately hoped it didn't meow.

The slightly floating glowing guy, now that was another story entirely. I had nothing to base anything off of. He wasn't mortal, of that much I was certain. Same at first one, it was those little things that living creatures do. It did none of those.

I took at drag a blew it out my nostrils. Instead of speaking, I stuck my hands in the pockets of my trench instead, the cigarillo clenched in my teeth.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Going through the Cog Door

I wasn't too sure what was going on, to be honest. The fogey in front of our little group was talking without moving his lips, which was impressive enough. But I'd only heard of that sort of thing happening to those with slightly more fleshy bits than I was sporting. My metal brain case wasn't really built for that sort of thing. At least I thought. Either way, there was something about the Cog Door that called to me, somehow. Taking the still smoldering smoke from my mouth, I stabbed it out in my hand, a little trick the thugs back home found impressive, and stuffed the remainder in my pocket. It just didn't seem right to drop it on the floor and there weren't any bins that I could see.

With one final glance to the other, who I still hadn't spoken a word to, I stepped through the Cog Door and into that new world.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 26, 2021

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - On the other side of the door

I wasn't sure what I was expecting, to be honest. Everything here seemed sincere, even the strange hovering old fellow. When I stepped through, the dead man beside me, the first burst of wind and heat nearly had me take a step back. Here I was, just a simple copper, on a whole new world. I glanced over at the... wizard?

"I'm assuming you have a plan," I said to him and lit another smoke.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Cogworld

"Sounds like a solid plan. Tell you what, you take lead in this little dance and I'll follow for now. You at least seemt o have some idea what what's going on and..." I'd been interrupted by the woman coming up the stairs with the rifle. She was a pretty gal, to be sure, but not the kind that'd take home any prizes. Especially when she was breathing like the horse that had just won the race.

"Now settle down, sweetheart," I said to her with my teeth clenched around that little brown burning stick of taste. "We're just a couple a normal gents out doin' normal gent business, see? Ain't nobody here dead."

Not using any traits for now

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Cogworld

It was clear this doll was going to keep playing soldier no matter what, and her answers only made me scratch my head. The massive clock in the distance was at least a decent landmark, and it reminded me to adjust my time to the local version.
"Alright, doll," I said to her, "I'll bite. What happens at 4? And is this the morning or the evening? Frankly I'm tempted to see what that little peashooter of yours can do. Should be obvious I ain't no Deader..." I rang the metal skin of my head with my knuckles. "I wasn't alive in the first place, by your standards."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Cogworld

"Alright, alright Wiz, have it your way." I stuck my hands in the pockets of my coat and fingered the heavy revolver I kept there. Many a thug had fallen to that little friend of mine and I wasn't soft enough to think I wouldn't add her to my list of regrets.

"The name's Mick, this here is Wiz. You got a name, doll, or you just call yourself Boomstick?"

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Cogworld

"So there's a certain time that the dead stop moving, eh? Usually in the radio programs it's the other way around." I puffed my way through several thoughts at once. "That means there's rules that have to be followed. And if there's one, there's always others. Wiz, I'm betting you're a rules guy like myself, and you know how to bend them like I do. I think you and I should stick together once Boomstick here settles down for a nice chat."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Cogworld

I continue to fondle the heavy piece that weighed down my pocket. I'd only known the dead guy slightly longer than the woman with the longarm across from us, but we'd both come the tower and that made us the closest thing to friends you could have without actually being one. While I wouldn't want to kill her, I would drop her the second she looked about to squeeze that trigger.

Using Senior Detective +2 and Synthetic Humanoid +2 to shoot the woman if she's about to shoot Mordin. Not shooting to kill but if it happens it happens.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Cogworld

I let the heavy revolver stay right where it was as my companion slipped back through the door to the Tower. It was a Cunning Plan, and probably a good idea too as the woman fired her heavy rifle. I showed visabled relaxation as she put her weapon up.

"They call me Detective Gunn. Laura, eh? Nice name, sweetheart. Matches your demeanor. While my partner is, uh, using the facilities so to speak, why don't you and I get friendly? I'm new to these parts and this little dead problem of yours isn't something Im familiar with."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Cogworld

"Welcome back. Laura here was explaining to me that the town of Arcwright, the one over there with the big clocktower, is surrounded by those dead'uns and they seem to like this town more than others. I let her know just how far we are from home which is why we've never seen a problem like this before." I looked back at the woman. "I'm hoping that Laura here can show us the town, let us get a feel for what's going on. Something's itching my brain, and it has to do with that clocktower."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Cogworld

"I think I'm gonna mosey on down to that town and poke around." I said to the others. "Might decide to pick up some work. Been a while since I was in the private sector."

I gave my pal the side eye, giving him the opportunity to slip away before something else happened.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Cogworld

I gave the old lich the side eye again, just to make sure of what he was asking. I'd killed before, of course, and even the blood of innocents stained my hands. I was no saint, but I'd never thought of myself as a murderer. But this was a different place, a different time, a different... everything. Maybe it was time to embrace the more practical side of my robotic brain.

I was fingering the piece in my pocket. As I stroked it I swear it got bigger, probably just a trick of my mind. The little .38 snub I usually was a bit of kit, but it lacked real killing power. What I needed was one of those heavy .44 magnums, like you might see in the movies. Those things could shove a persons head right through their rear end if you fired at the right angle.

My course was set, so to speak. With one smooth action I pulled out a much larger revolver than I remember sticking in there. My finger depressed the trigger even as I was still raising the drat thing. I didn't need to even aim at this distance as I fires that huge slug straight at the woman's heart.

Using all my stats here. I don't remember what they are at the moment. Im way overtired. I'll update this when I wake up.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Cogworld

The shot knocked a good chunk out of my lower leg, which was surprising. Back home nothing short of the kind of firepower the military should put out was able to crack my shell. Fortunately I couldn't feel pain the same way the humans did. Already the repair protocols within my systems had taken note of the damage and were beginning to make small changes to work around it until I could get down there and actually fix it.

"Nah im fine," I responded. "I've taken worse. Although now I wish I could kill her twice. So this is what you do, eh? Bring 'em back from the dead? Dark business that, mack, dark business. Not that I'm judging, mind you. I've done similar or worse myself. Now lets get some answers."

Using Synthetic Humanoid +2 to mitigate the damage that was done, removing the hobbled status.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Cogworld

I looked at the animated corpse of the woman I had killed and realized I felt nothing. I'd killed my fair share of people, sure, but this was the first dame I'd ever offed. There had been no hesitation, no remorse. And even now, while I was looking at her, nothing.

"The question of whether or not I have a soul," I replied to Mordin, "is something best left to the priests. I've got no stock in it either way. We should probably head down to the city there and start poking around."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Cogworld

I stood there for some time, enjoying the smoke I couldn't really taste. But the act made me feel like maybe I was actually alive, not just going through the motions. When I was sure that Mordin and the stiff had been gone long enough, I pulled the brim of my hat down low, stuck my hands in the pockets of my jacket, and checked my piece before stepping out the the shadows and heading for the gate of the human settlement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Cogworld

"The name's Mick," I told the guard through the device. "And I've never been sick a day in life. Not even a sniffle. I could cough a few times if you really want me to but it's not really going to change much. I'm a traveler of course, and I'd like to come on in and polke around if you dont mind. Looking for a place to set up shop. Settle down, so to speak."

Persuading the dingus to let me in.