Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

combing back through the archives when i found synthy's thread for 2018 and realized we don't have one for 2020. idk about any of you, but i gamed like a motherfucker in 2020 and i'd like to look back on probably the best part of my year. post your greatest hits and if you'd like you can give one your Impy :siren: the game doesn't have to have come out in 2020 but you have to have played it in 2020 :siren:

Hades: easily my Impy for the year. i didnt expect much when i heard about it, but it's basically flawless on every level. the combat is excellent, the level and enemy designs are great, the gameplay loop works super well, and the writing and art design are really drat good. i logged over 100 hours finishing the epilogue and i can very easily see myself going back to it every now and then.

Death Stranding: the first game i beat in 2020. i played like 95% in 2019, but it's still one of the coolest, most interesting games ive played in a long time. i had more fun planning travel routes and equipment loadouts in this than in all but a handful of games i played this year, and the moment i built my first road goes in my godly gaming moments hall of fame.

Super Mario 3d Remaster: all three of these games are incredible and being able to replay them this year was fuckin great. finally getting 120 in super mario 64 closed my longest gaming loop, and it's cool that i've got an easy way to replay these games now. really hoping that rumor about galaxy 2 as DLC is true

The Outer Wild: i still think about this game all the time. it's probably the coolest adventure game ive played in decades and the writing is extremely fuckin good. if i ever get lobotomized and lose all my gaming memories this is one of the first i want to go back to and play fresh

La Mulana 1&2: i only beat 1 in 2020 but i love these games so fuckin much. they're perfect metroidvania puzzle games, and 2021 is the year i finish 2.

Animal Crossing: ive never played one of these and i'm glad this was my first one. i'm guessng this is the case for a lot of you but i got furloughed the day before it came out and getting to mess with my island all day really helped with early quarantine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Doom Eternal: this was very divisive for a lot of people, but the constant moving around, swapping weapons and such really scratched the right itch for me. awesome little slice of fps heaven.

Noita: i will almost certainly never beat this without some obscenely overpowered mod or whatever, but trying to get as far as i can without exploding my own torso into a crimson mist is hilarious fun. i was super hyped for spelunky 2 and this pretty much immediately devoured all the time i'd put aside for it.

Smilebasic 4: look man i like playing weird ripoffs of old arcade games uploaded by random japanese salarymen, don't judge

Demon's Tilt: incredible little fan-tribute to devil's crush on the tg-16. bullet hell pinball set inside of a metal album cover with some really nice pixel art and a super-catchy chiptune song.

Descenders: this devoured my noita time for multiple weeks. industrial-strength one-more-go.

SNK 40th Anniversary Collection: the twin stick controls make the ikari warriors games surprisingly playable and i somehow got glued to a medieval japan-themed space invaders clone from the really early 80s.

Fights in Tight Spaces (Demo): turn-based card brawler, this will probably devour my loving soul when the full game comes out

i give my impy to videogames as a general concept

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Gotta give my 2020 Impy to Animal Crossing: New Horizons. It may not be the “best” game of the year per se but it coming out right after everyone was getting laid off, furloughed, or at least started working from home was kind of an incredible experience, everyone in the Imp zone just constantly visiting each other’s islands, opening their gates when a cool event was happening in their village, helping each other out with their collections, etc was awesome and I’ve never seen anything like it before. It’s still a good game even now that it’s died off some and isn’t a huge craze anymore but those first several months were really something special.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Animal Crossing absolutely wins the Impy for me in terms of time spent in the game. It's a little light on content compared to New Leaf (where's the cafe???) but I can't remember the last time a game became such a global phenomenon like this, not since the launch of Pokemon Go maybe.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
2020 was the year of Picross

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Death Stranding was my favourite by far, an easy choice for 2020 Impy.

ff7 remake was amazing too, also specter of torment and cave story. i didnt really beat many games last year but the ones I did were all very good.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Final Fantasy 7 Remake was the best 2020 release I played. Honorable mention to Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R's rollback implementation.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Suikoden III - i’m a docile feels gamer now and this game gave me the most feels in 2020

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2020 was mostly a replay year for me - including replaying Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey, and starting a new file in Hyrule Warriors Ultimate Edition. I started an NES play all games project that got temporarily scrapped due to COVID and played through Super Mario Brothers, Excitebike, Ice Climbers and about half of Wrecking Crew. Some of those were new to me.

Stuff I played completely new to me:

The Arkham Trilogy
Was surprised by this. I really enjoyed Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. City started to wear me out a little by the end, though, so I'm waiting on Arkham Knight until I feel a little more ready. It's part of my plan to finish it this year.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 & 2
This is one of the best simple remasters ever made IMO. It just takes all the charming stuff from the first two games, gives them a great, detailed graphical update, and let's you relive what made these games so great. I didn't get too far because of some other gaming distractions, but I plan to play it a lot more in 2021.

Final Fantasy VII Remake
This was worth the wait. It feels like they perfected the best parts of combat from Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts and discarded most of the trash, without losing the feel of combat from the original Final Fantasy VII. The game is long enough to feel like it's a full game, but also short enough to replay, which is fortunate, because Hard Mode is even better and there are lots of other things to discover in New Game +. I'm looking forward to more installments.

Super Mario 3D Remaster
This was a pretty low effort release on Nintendo's part, but hell, it's hard to argue with three classic Mario games being ported to Switch. We all learned that our fingers don't know certain stars in Super Mario 64 as well as they used to, to yell "gently caress you" at that poison river red coins shine in Super Mario Sunshine, and to enjoy Super Mario Galaxy all over again. I've been asking for a Super Mario Sunshine re-release forever, and now that I've gotten it, I will never ever ask for or play Super Mario Sunshine again. Thanks, Nintendo.

Cyberpunk 2077
Despite all the "This is a disaster!" reviews, I have been enjoying this game a ton. It's definitely buggy as all hell, but many of the gameplay elements feel like small improvements on the Witcher 3 formula for success. I'd guess that I'm about 80 percent of my way through a complete playthrough, and I bet I will also enjoy the DLC when it comes out.

Among Us
I play this with my wife's friends periodically. Listening to a bunch of moms on their third glass of wine yell "I was doing Simon Says, you crafty bitch!" at each other and having a whole group of women threaten to slit your throat or cut your penis off for not noticing their dead bodies is a great appetizer to picking up a Dual Shock 4 and wasting some gangoons.

Tabletop Simulator
This has been a great way for my weekly gaming group to reconnect, play some board games, have me painstakingly craft custom tables for Magic cards and Dungeons and Dragons, just for our group, and then decide as a group to move to untap.in and roll20. Thanks a lot, guys!!

Going to give my Impy for best game to one I didn't even play - I know that I won't have the time, only being able to game after 8 PM when my son goes to bed, but watching all my friends enjoy Animal Crossing: New Horizons, timed perfectly to get everyone through the pandemic, has been great. For best gaming accessory, I'm going to award my Impy to the double jump legs in Cyberpunk 2077. The Impy for biggest gaming console and most dangerous for delivery people goes to Playstation 5. For worst gaming series, after recalling some memories, I think I'm giving my Impy to Tekken.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I played a lot of games in 2020 but a lot of them were 'just ok' on account of me getting to the dregs of my backlog, these were some highlights of my year though:

Ace Attorney Trilogy: It had been a while since I've played these games, and it was really nice being able to share them with my wife who had never experienced them before, technically I'm not done, got like 3 cases left in the last game, but it's definitely a highlight of the year

Hades: was a great game back when I bought it in early access, and I played a lot more this year. Say what you will about early access being a bit of a scam at times, taking a risk and actually finding a good game, then watching as all your friends find out about what you've known for a long time is pretty satisfying. It's hard to reach the level of 'challenging but fair' this game reaches, and getting a consistent streaks of won games makes you feel very strong.

Tametsi: If you've played Hexcells you probably know how to play this game, but it really builds on what Hexcells made by creating huge geometric designs that expand beyond just hexes. Challenging as hell too, some singular puzzles take me close to a half hour to complete, great timewaster.

Yakuza 7: The Yakuza games are always great, but transitioning from a beat em up to a straight up jrpg is amazing, and Ichiban is a great successor to Kiryu. Him envisioning the jrpg mechanics of the world simply because he's way into Dragon Quest is a masterstroke and uhh, very relatable.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Game of my 2020 for sure Slay the Spire. Not very good at anything except my Silent game is godly. Cool game. Also played a lot of Stardew Valley with gf. Lean gaming year, for me.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Yakuza 7

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If I want to add one Yakuza game to my gaming New Year resolutions, where should I start, would you say? Safe to jump right into 7 or 0?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

If I want to add one Yakuza game to my gaming New Year resolutions, where should I start, would you say? Safe to jump right into 7 or 0?

0, imo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

definitely start with 0

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'll stick Yakuza 0 into my gaming resolutions then, thanks both.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Hades was real cool and addictive for a couple of weeks, just having back to back sessions after some losses not feeling bad is an accomplishment.

There were some other good roguelikes, like Monster Train, and One Step from Eden, that were also pretty great, but just didn't have that little extra effort or thought like Hades did.

I forgot I played through La Mulana 1 and 2 this year, but I love those games so much,so I bought them on Switch again.

Control was very enjoyable, but the combat at times felt a little fiddly. Excellent aesthcally, interesting setting. Base game was good, but the DLC hasn't grabbed

I think I would give my Impy to Outer Wilds. I went in with zero expectations and very little known except the basic concept, and it blew me away. The creativity and mixing of systems, felt like a truly modern take on adventure games/ Myst style. The tension of exploring these mysterious unknown and dangerous planets, while providing a sense of calm and comfort at times, had me hooked. Good poo poo.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
My 2020 Imp award goes once again to Bloodborne.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Only one impy allowed for a game before 2020.... weak

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Seltzer posted:

Only one impy allowed for a game before 2020.... weak

only one game was the best game you played this year

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Fungah! posted:

only one game was the best game you played this year

I speed read the OP. Apologies

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

hades was super fun and highly recommended but i won like 30 runs in a row getting the epilogue so i was pretty burned out on it by the end, it just felt like going through the motions to get the dialogue options up where i needed them thanks to my insane gamer brain wanting that reward before i could call it quits lol.

impy for game of the century is outer wilds and it may be the perfect game

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Yakuza 0 by a billion miles

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Released this year
Hades - action rpg indie roguelike :vince mcmahon falling out of chair:

Ghost of Tsushima - closest thing to new tenchu game and good open world

Nioh 2 - endlessly replayable action rpg and bullshit bosses that piss me off but which make me get happy when i kill them

Released in previous years
Demons Souls Remake - oh hell yeah

Resident Evil 2 Remake - :pray: terrific

3 Tomb Raider reboots from last like 5 years - all good action games

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

In rough order

Yakuza 7 GOTY- Sega innovated and hit a homerun. Runs and looks great on XSX

Yakuza 0 - The golden standard of traditional yakuza

Hitman 2- No one makes a game similar

Shenmue 2- Not as incredible as 1 but still good and has the unmatched soul of the shenmue series

Yakuza kiwami 2 - A good entry with good combat

Dishonored 2- All dishonoreds are really good

Farcry 3 remaster- Still holds up, the last good farcry before the series forgot what it was

Yakuza kiwami 1 - Any yakuza is good yakuza

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

My Impy goes to [url=https://tesselode.itch.io/eatgirl[/url] a fun indie pac man inspired puzzle game that reminds me of the golden age of freeware games

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm notnfixing that

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Animal Crossing gets the 2020 Impy from me. Stuck at home, everyone coming together, it was the exact game 2020 needed.

Final Fantasy VII Remake would have gotten it in a non-pandemic year. Revisiting Midgar after all these years felt like I never left.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

GorfZaplen posted:

My Impy goes to [url=https://tesselode.itch.io/eatgirl[/url] a fun indie pac man inspired puzzle game that reminds me of the golden age of freeware games

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Best Game I Played This Year: Yakuza 0. 10/10, one of the greatest games of all time. Full stop.

Best 2020 Game: Hades. Haven't been this addicted to a roguelite since Isaac. Incredible value at 20 dollars.

Best Old Game: Persona 4 Golden. Transported me back in time 12 years when I first played it. No rose colored glasses here. Another all timer. 10/10.

Pleasant Surprise: Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

Worst Game: Life is Strange 2. Weak, contrived, boring, bullshit rear end game.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Forgot one.

Special Thanks: Animal Crossing: New Horizons. This came out at the absolute perfect time for me. Lockdown was just starting, work was extremely stressful & I found myself in situations I was ill equipped to manage. But every day I got to decompress on my tropical island and for that I am thankful. Though I fell off after 3 solid months of playing, ACNH will always hold a special place in my heart.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Spiritfarer: #1 the best
Some very great writing, amazing animation, a heartfelt story about life but mostly about death, was easily the most I connected with any game all year

The rest in no order

Death Stranding:
Was played mostly last year at launch but replayed it a lot this year. Kojima does it again

Star Wars Squadrons:
Fun update of the X-Wing/TIE-Fighter series, also surprisingly fairly priced for a big budget ea game ($40, no in game transactions, tyvm)

Animal Crossing ANH:
Easily wins the best bf/gf gaming award

Manifold Garden:
Indie puzzler that plays like a cross between The Witness and Antichamber

Pikmin 3 Deluxe:
Runner up in the best bf/gf gaming award

Hades:
Supergiant does it again

Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition:
Game that I respect a ton for its writing and story and overall direction, even though it’s not a very fun game to play

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Hades wins The making GBS threads Game 2020 for me.

Diabotical wins the most fun I had playing a multiplayer game in 2020.

CyberPunk 2077 wins [i]Game I wanted to Flame the most but I still played it a lot[/b].

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

My Impy for a game released in 2020: Yakuza Like a Dragon.
I was getting pretty burnt out on these games after Fist of the North Star and Judgement, but this has pulled me back in.

Impy for a game not released in 2020: Metroid Zero Mission. Speaks for itself, can't believe it took me until 2020 to play this.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Hades obviously...

Age of Empires II Definitive Edition : Imo the original was the best RTS ever made and the remake even improves it.

Baba is you : It makes me feel like a retard, which means it's a very good game. Normally not a huge fan of puzzle games.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Best 2020 Game: Probably Animal Crossing...I played it the most and still sometimes jump in to weed etc.

Best Old Game: Yakuza 0, utterly shameful that this sat at 2/3 finished for about 3 years before I finished it up because I kept playing the Caba kura game for 4 hours everytime I booted it up instead of playing the story.

Most disappointing: Probably Crusader Kings 3...I dunno why, but it just sucks more you realise how hollow it is and hpow shite the Roleplaying is. I'll be buying all DLC on day one for full price anyway.

Best Game I didn't finish: Stardew Valley. I got this right before animal crossing, so it got shelved, but I can't wait to try it out again when the new patch comes to switch. Possible contender for [b[making GBS threads Game 2021[/b].

Pleasant Surprise: RE3 Remake. I heard this was crap, but I liked the faster tighter action a lot more.

Honorablke mentions: Resident Evil 2 remake, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Super Mario Odyssey and Cyber punk.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

witcher 3 dlc blood and wine was remarkable.

hades was fun to play, just had to mute the voice acting and skip through all the dialogue.

animal crossing was fun for a month

idk didnt play much else that i liked :/

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
GOTY: Yakuza 7

Game I didn’t Finish: Persona 5. I can’t remember what got in the way of this because I really liked it. Having a kid perhaps idk

Old Game: Ace Combat Squadron Leader. Still the one to beat imho and if I’m honest the main reason I bought 7.

Thank you for some excellent posts in 2020, fellow imps.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

witcher 3 dlc blood and wine was remarkable.

I like heart of stone better but b&w is the perfect victory lap. hope cyberpunk gets at least one quality DLC before CDPR is stripped for parts by angry gamers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Paper Mario: The Origami King coming out of nowhere and being 20 hours of extremely funny dialogue/situations was a real treat. Breath of the Wild is the other main standout, though I spent a lot of time Slaying the Spire as well. Great year for games.