Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Black August posted:

One of my favorite features of GURPS in its modularity is the fact that you can use the rules you don't install into your game as a special/unique power or technique that can be earned in gameplay. Not advantages, but actual rules, like the cinematic options or Flesh Wounds, and other special system modifiers that don't have a point value. It also makes it easier to create better defined alternate realities, when you can slap down a sheet with three optional rules that always apply when in the alt. Though advantages can be used in that way too- a jRPG world might mean everything has Homogenous and Unliving, which makes someone who operates on the normal 'can go into negative HP' rules seem like a monster. It's very fun to tinker around like that.
GURPS LitRPG Isekai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

90s Cringe Rock posted:

GURPS LitRPG Isekai

'I Was Transported To A Pen & Paper World Where I'm Only 25 Points, But My -200 Of Crippling Disadvantages Allows Me To Become A Hero??!?!?!?'

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
GURPS is very good about the "balanced but unbalanced power disparity" thing and lends itself well to horror-type games for the above reason. Games like Dungeon Fantasy have a specific framework behind the scenes for monsters where it is mostly "Just make some poo poo up and here's a bunch of examples to riff off of, but you don't need to set point totals". I'm currently using a set piece monster on the Wednesday GURPS group which flies around and drops scales from its body that detonate like grenades and while that sounds like it would be a massive pain in the rear end to design I actually just took a monster from one of the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monster books (won't say which one yet!) to use as the core engine for "a bigass monster".

I did have to slap wings and grenades on it though.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

aldantefax posted:

GURPS is very good about the "balanced but unbalanced power disparity" thing and lends itself well to horror-type games for the above reason. Games like Dungeon Fantasy have a specific framework behind the scenes for monsters where it is mostly "Just make some poo poo up and here's a bunch of examples to riff off of, but you don't need to set point totals". I'm currently using a set piece monster on the Wednesday GURPS group which flies around and drops scales from its body that detonate like grenades and while that sounds like it would be a massive pain in the rear end to design I actually just took a monster from one of the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monster books (won't say which one yet!) to use as the core engine for "a bigass monster".

I did have to slap wings and grenades on it though.

gently caress this thing, it bombed my mule

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
kind of want to use GURPS Zombies to run a campaign.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

The Oldest Man posted:

gently caress this thing, it bombed my mule

it will likely continue to do so

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I'm having a tiff over in my WW2 CYOA, I think vehicle combat rules are hard to read. A messerschmitt is making a low pass, firing two MG.17 (my own mockup: dam: 7d pi Acc:5 Range:1000/4000 RoF 9 Shots:500/5 Recoil: 4) from wing hardpoints. This means Acc is at -1, autofire is 9 per round, and each multiple of recoil is an extra hit, yes? What if I want to hit more targets? And If the plane is moving under fire, is that a further penalty? How does the movement or reaction of soldiers on the ground factor in?

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
GURPS Vehicles has a pretty big section on strafing ground targets (pp. 185-186) if you're okay with older product. Like everything in Vehicles, it's intense.

Here's someone's "nutshell" explanation.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks! What is the 'speed/range modifier' the game mentions?

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
I'm not sure if the numbers differ between editions but there's a bigass table (the Size and Speed/Range Table) on page 550 of 4e Campaigns. It's used all over the place - range penalties on missile attacks, attacks on various size modifiers, attacks against a moving target, and apparently determining how big an area you can strafe.

Assuming I interpreted it correctly, a Bf 109E had a max speed of 350 miles per hour. If you were moving at that speed, for example, it'd be 171 yards per second. A linear distance of 171 yards on the chart is either 11 or 12 depending on how rounding works.

So that plane moving at max speed could strafe a path two yards wide (because of the wing-mounted guns) and thirteen/fourteen yards long (11 or 12 plus the two increments of 200 mph).

Tias
May 25, 2008

This is amazing, thanks a lot <3 I'm really not good with math nor index cards.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I was having a thumb through of the first couple of chapters of GURPS Fantasy finally and I thought it was pretty neat how it handled treatment of various genres out there and the motifs thereof. I seem to remember reading though this in the past distantly but since "Fantasy" is such a broad term at this point figuring out what the differences are between the most common types of fantasy out there these days help to better contextualize, particularly when determining what to add to your kind of setting palette.

I should talk about how I have been running GURPS Dungeon Fantasy and leveraging the monsters for encounters. I really grappled with this as a difficulty and had some false starts with the system a long time ago, but the reality is you can just make some poo poo up or lift basic stats from any of the existing templates as far as combat and very specific non-combat attributes and you're off to the races. Thanks to the extended treatment that the Dungeon Fantasy line has had in the sun and its backwards and forwards compatibility, you can take pretty much any monster and shove it into Dungeon Fantasy from most to all GURPS products and adjust to taste.

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 1 provides some additional context and a helpful index for monsters that can be used from a variety of books including other Dungeon Fantasy books, but also from GURPS Fantasy and so on.

The main takeaway from DF 2 is that the monsters themselves are really "ideas that shouldn't have point totals". Because it acknowledges that is super important for characters but not important to monsters as much, it instead defines their special tactics, key stats, weapon and defense skill values, as well as a sidebar or two on how to apply the monsters themselves. Certain special traits like Gluttony may also be called out in the additional callout boxes.

Given that while the monsters themselves don't use specific point targets for their abilities, there is some slightly fiddly math that I mostly ignore when structuring encounters. A pre-designed monster typically will have stats that correspond to the general point totals that Dungeon Fantasy expects, which is around 250 to 350 points, maybe 400 for the really wacky stuff. However, because stats do not scale linearly, this means that monsters can be a threat at near every power band even if they're a cute little velociraptor.

To aesthetically present them for the Megadungeon game I'm running I will re-contextualize a monster that "seems good enough" and then figure out if there are any special traits to modify as a result. The velociraptors mentioned above are forked off Dinomen in GURPS DF Monsters 1 as a straight aesthetic swap. I actually used the "horde" type monsters from Monster Hunter for visual presentation and also for general tactics -- they can jump really far and have paralyzing bites, but they often don't deal much, if any, damage.

This means that if you combine them with a medium to high threat monster, you can scale difficulty by adding/removing monsters or adjusting their stats since they only really serve as suggestions. This would also mean that unless you were comfortable with curating your encounters or dynamically improvising, you might be put off trying to make everything work.

Using Dinomen as an example for the mechanical template and Monster Hunter velociraptors (genprey) for the aesthetics, I determined that I needed to give the monster some additional abilities, which is "Big Jumps" and "Paralyzing Attack". The actual resolution of the fight itself had people falling over as they got their ankles bit by a swarm of these things (as intended) but when one of their own went down they would focus their attention on each other and start fighting over a new lunch. This is a key from Gluttony and the Dinomen callout box.

In the latest encounter I looked for a really large monster and found it in the Ice Wyrm from DF Monsters 1, which I then decided to slap wings and explosives on. Its main "traits" are that it is huge (SM +5!) and will drop exploding scales onto people since I was looking to use another Monster Hunter wyvern as the inspiration for the encounter, the Bazelgeuse.

Even using the monsters "stock" can be very quickly reflavored by giving humanoid monsters different weapons. It can get unwieldly if they are smart fighters for all of them (some monsters are designed to be intelligent combatants that use Deceptive Attack etc) so you can kind of run them with a predictable "AI" that the party can then leverage for strategy. A Knight could make a Tactics roll and discern that the velocirpators are hungry for more meat; this could have been used in the player's favor.

Thanks for GURPS' attention to detail you can also determine if your monsters have "weak points" to target or not. The Ice Wyrm didn't have a vitals because it's a giant Tremors-like worm, but the modified one I had does. You could target vitals of various monsters based on mostly how many appendages they have, which for some reason is extremely funny to me.

Using the stock monsters I was able to run that vertical encounter with the Acid Spiders on a new group as well as a "not-Marilith" with six arms and six clubs that whomped on another group until they figured out they could light it on fire while the Knight in that group did their thing.

Applying Monsters is generally pretty straightforward but the biggest headache is surprisingly facing. It is more that Roll20 handles rotating tokens extremely poorly (try rotating individually each element with a mouse in a Photoshop composition while multi-tasking to get an approximate feel). However, once the fight is actually underway if you are used to how fighting works things start moving pretty smoothly.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Hello, GURPS thread, it is Sunday, which doesn't mean much, I heard there is a sportball happening, but in my effort to help generate play aids for my play groups I have made cards that just have bonuses/penalties on them. It took about 15 minutes to make all of them in Google Drawings, and I've put them on the ol' IMGUR:

https://imgur.com/a/8kElNnh

Since GURPS generally does not have modifiers that go beyond +3/-3 from a single source except for range purposes, this should help the players when they're thinking through their combat options by having them as play cards. They're kept simple and rounded corners so they can be treated like normal ol' playing cards in Tabletop Simulator.

I was surprised that a generic modifier card didn't exist yet and while something like the GURPS Combat Cards are great, really having a card for all the options is still pretty overwhelming for a lot of players and they just need to know what modifiers are accounted for, particularly in more complex combat calculations that DF favors (Deceptive Attack + Rapid Strikes + Extra Effort + Position + Other Stuff, versus Active Defense - Deceptive Attack, etc...)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm not sure how cursed this question is, but how is GURPS Mage: the Ascension? And the other GURPS Worlds of Darkness.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'm not sure how cursed this question is, but how is GURPS Mage: the Ascension? And the other GURPS Worlds of Darkness.
I was not very impressed by them but if you were a huge GURPS Head and wanted to use some aspects of the setting in a campaign you could do way worse. I would probably prefer to use Cabal if I wanted to do distinctive modern occult in GURPS, though; and you can just kind of do whatever the gently caress you want with vampires.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Cabal, iirc, is one of the example settings structured from GURPS Fantasy, for those interested in looking at it. I dunno if it's discussed elsewhere, but since Mage the Ascension has magic being subjective it also has some mentions about that with other inspirations and treatments, but I haven't gotten deep into it.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

GURPS Mecha sure is a 3E supplement that exists. I kind of love it for the example setting, though; basically X-Com fighting the Space Mafia with a mecha that runs on a gas turbine and turns into a bike, because gently caress you, this is GURPS.

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012
Cabal is definitely hurting for using GURPS's traditional every-spell-is-a-skill magic. Too bad Ritual Path Path was far in the future. The Cabal's Eurocentrism does it no favours either (Pro Tip: if you have to write a paragraph that's like "Chinese wizardry is to Aristotelian physics as the European kind is to quantum mechanics" or like, "This character is recognized in-universe as hitting all the Yellow Peril checkboxes, so much so that some believe he is literally The Spirit of Anti-Asian Racism," you need a revision, and a sensitivity consultant.)

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Mycroft Holmes posted:

kind of want to use GURPS Zombies to run a campaign.

I recommend using the variant type of zombies known as "Gotha". Those will make the game very interesting.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bliss Authority posted:

GURPS Mecha sure is a 3E supplement that exists. I kind of love it for the example setting, though; basically X-Com fighting the Space Mafia with a mecha that runs on a gas turbine and turns into a bike, because gently caress you, this is GURPS.

Here are my top five GURPS supplements I'm fairly certain no one has ever actually played at a table.

Number five
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/reignsteel/ - GURPS Reign of Steel. It is 2047 A.D. The robot revolt is over, and the machines have won.

Robots have destroyed the Earth and even now in this dark future we still can't get the Terminator license.

Number four
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/humanx/ - GURPS Humanx. GURPS Humanx, a world book for GURPS, takes you planet-hopping through Alan Dean Foster's Humanx Commonwealth, where Ethan Fortune and Skua September sailed the Icerigger across the frozen wastes of Tran-Ky-Ky, Flinx and his minidrag Pip activated The Tar-Aiym Krang and solved the mystery of Bloodhype, and the great whales still swim the seas of Cachalot.

Can't wait to activate the tar-aiym krang with my minidrag.

Number three
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/riverworld/ - GURPS Riverworld. The grand vision of Philip José Farmer's Riverworld series is brought to life in GURPS Riverworld. Your character can be anyone who has ever walked the Earth – play famous historical figures, or even yourself! Meet people from all across history . . . re-create technology . . . form nations . . . build riverboats and airships . . . journey to the Polar Sea and the Dark Tower of the Ethicals!

You will never convince me Riverworld is not scifi's The Cones of Dunshire which makes this Sci Fi's The Cones of Dunshire: The Board Game.

Number Two
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/Harkwood/ - GURPS Harkwood. But this year, someone else is attending His Excellency's festival – a base villain, plotting to ruin Fenmarc and seize control of Harkwood. Can this evil Mastermind be unmasked in time to stop his diabolical plan and save the baron and the barony?

I read Banestorm and was like, "cool premise but can you make it more boring?"

Number ONE
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/chtorr/- GURPS War Against the Chtorr. The worms grow up to six feet long. No, ten. Twenty. Thirty . . . They just keep getting bigger and hungrier. They're the spearhead of an alien invasion . . . an ecological invasion. There seems to be no guiding intelligence – just thousands of different alien plants and animals, cooperating with each other as they destroy Terran species. More than half the world's population has fallen to alien diseases, and the rest are becoming worm food.

The magic combination of a setting that both a) has a very confining setting conceit that limits what kinds of games you can play in it and b) really, really wants those games to be about fighting giant worms.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Black Ops a best

And of all the splats for 3e, I wish Black Ops got a 4e update, because it'd be PERFECT with Wildcards and all the other rules in Action. Building Ops would then be way more about earning Perks to allow greater flexibility and specialization.

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!
Oh, man. This gives me major nostalgia. Years ago, I played in a game with the GURPS-Discworld module. It was quite well thought out for something that we expected to be a thin veneer of discworld over generic fantasy. Major kudos to our DM though. He was very well read in all things Pratchet and really made it shine. Probably the best campaign I ever took part in.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kurvi Tasch posted:

Oh, man. This gives me major nostalgia. Years ago, I played in a game with the GURPS-Discworld module. It was quite well thought out for something that we expected to be a thin veneer of discworld over generic fantasy. Major kudos to our DM though. He was very well read in all things Pratchet and really made it shine. Probably the best campaign I ever took part in.

2E and 3E licensed sourcebooks were always very comprehensive; in many cases they gave a decent GM who was unfamiliar with the source material enough to do an okay campaign.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah if there's one serious credit I will gladly give to bungling Steve, it's that every GURPS sourcebook went hard-nail on actually researching and doing its best to emulate the source material. Half my incidental education as a kid came from reading the splats. Camelot was probably the most memorable in that regard- "Oh cool, a historical realism take on Arthur. Oh wow, the Knights of the Round were a bunch of gently caress-up LUNATICS. Lancelot is criminally insane. Arthur is a soggy shithead. This is amazing!"

Tias
May 25, 2008

"Good morning good sir Lancelot, what the gently caress are you doing in my pavilion?"
"AAAAH I SLAY YOU IN BERSERK RAGE - gently caress, sorry. I feel terrible now. Ah, to find some next of kin I can apologize to."

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 19, 2021

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012

Black August posted:

Black Ops a best

And of all the splats for 3e, I wish Black Ops got a 4e update, because it'd be PERFECT with Wildcards and all the other rules in Action. Building Ops would then be way more about earning Perks to allow greater flexibility and specialization.

I don't know if you already know this, but Pyramid #3/73 (Monster Hunters II) has an article called "Agents of ORCID" that mentions that you can use the Monster Hunters rules and the article (and Ultra-Tech) to update Black Ops to 4e. You'd still have to convert the monsters to 4e though. Monster Hunters 5 would also be useful for a Black Ops campaign.

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012
I'm kinda steamed that I backed the latest GURPS kickstarter and one of the Pyramid issues has an article suggesting the Vietnam War's Phoenix Program for an espionage campaign, but then again, play grognard games, win grognard prizes. Like, when I read GURPS SEALs in Vietnam (also a bad idea of a book) I looked up the Phoenix Program on Wikipedia and guess what, the article has an entire section on torture methods used by Phoenix (which include rape and murder btw)! I suppose in a post-Jack-Bauer era I shouldn't be shocked.

Other entries in the GURPS Hall of Shame while I'm at it: Torture giving a big bonus to Interrogation, and "Eidetic Memory: Monster Slavers" from Pyramid #3/47: The Rogue's Life. Dungeon Fantasy's cavalier tone in general ends up making jokes about pretty serious topics, but then again, D&D often plays this primitive accumulation poo poo straight, which is probably worse.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I've just ordered GURPS Space. Going to see if I can get my local group to do a hybrid with Stargrave's setting.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Black August posted:

'I Was Transported To A Pen & Paper World Where I'm Only 25 Points, But My -200 Of Crippling Disadvantages Allows Me To Become A Hero??!?!?!?'

I laughed.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Steve Jackson Games is running a Kickstarter for cheap GURPS PDFs.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cool, I was looking forward to this. While not everything in the 2020 challenge was immediately interesting to me, getting it all for a few bucks was a steal and the stuff I didn't think I wanted all ended up being worth a skim.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
https://twitter.com/SJGames/status/1429186139802513408?s=19

I heard about this nearly 6 years ago I think? Trouble processing that it actually exists

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I think the earliest talk about this game I have seen dates to 2006. I thought this was never going to happen!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

At this point, does that mean pshome is going to resurrect and have that steam punk map the foglios were supposed to be helping make come out?

Edit: Decided to take the plunge. Seems almost all the major characters have writeups and stats included in the book. Guess for NPCs or if someone (me) wants to play Othar Tryggvassen! Gentlemen Adventurer!

It has been admittadly years since I played gurps or even looked at the books so these stat blocks mostly confuse me for now, but I imagine the rust will knock off eventually.

Spark is only 3 points for level, a lot cheaper than I assumed it would be, but it only adds a bonus to certain dice rolls /allows you to even attempt. You still have to spend points on all the sciency skills themselves as well.

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 21, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Maybe they'll get the Ogrethulu rulebook next!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If Vehicles ever comes out it will likely be a herald of the coming end times.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Has anybody looked at the new How to be a GURPS GM book on combat yet?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

aldantefax posted:

Has anybody looked at the new How to be a GURPS GM book on combat yet?

I've got it and have skimmed through it. Anything you're particularly interested in?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Twibbit posted:

Spark is only 3 points for level, a lot cheaper than I assumed it would be, but it only adds a bonus to certain dice rolls /allows you to even attempt. You still have to spend points on all the sciency skills themselves as well.

What percentage of players are going to take it, Probably 75%, it better be cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

What percentage of players are going to take it, Probably 75%, it better be cheap.

I should offer a correction on that, I misread.

3 points for spark 0
10 points per level

But at each level it also gives you a skill for free essentially.