Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Hell yes new Subaru thread. I tried tuning the radio in mine but it runs better on NPR

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There's a reason I've put way more into my '99 than it is worth.

Good job OP, now turbo swap it :getin:

Same with my 97. It's got uncomfortable amounts of rust but in places that don't mechanically matter so I keep spending money on it. I surpassed spending 10 times what I paid for it a couple years ago ($200 lol)

I want to turbo swap it too, in fact we all should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

STR posted:

Wait, these have aluminum heads? :downsgun:

I've never torn into an EJ beyond spark plugs....

i just meant in general, with aluminum heads becoming more common in parallel to coated plugs becoming more common

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

shy boy from chess club posted:

Hell yes new Subaru thread. I tried tuning the radio in mine but it runs better on NPR

Same with my 97. It's got uncomfortable amounts of rust but in places that don't mechanically matter so I keep spending money on it. I surpassed spending 10 times what I paid for it a couple years ago ($200 lol)

I want to turbo swap it too, in fact we all should

Well gently caress, when the car is just about free you can't make any comparisons to what you paid for it. My 99 is almost completely rust-free thankffully, just a few spots where the paint got chipped off. I'm never going to compare the $250 I spent on my SVX to the cost of work I'm putting into it though. Otherwise I'd already be at 8x between a new TPS, a 1k mechanic's bill just to get it to make it the 100 miles home, and a new set of winter tires. And I'm going to be putting another 1k-1500 into it to replace the suspension since the front shocks are completely gone and I want to upgrade it a little bit.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

well parts and tools all came and im up to my tits in replacing both front wheel bearings and the front right axleshaft. so far i appear to have succeeded in pressing in the front left bearing without destroying it or letting the axle fall out of the gearbox. tomorrow is the right side

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What year is it? I must have missed it in the OP. If it's one of the years that uses the roll pin through the axle to retain it all I have to say is "you poor bastard." It will take more force than you expect, and if you put it on 180 degrees backwards it still won't work and you'll basically have to play chicken with yourself to decide whether to keep hammering or try flipping it.

What I remember working was using this set of punches, using one narrow enough that it slid through the hole in the pin so that I had a guide in the axle's hole rather than just having the punch constantly bounce off the pin and send it flying. Not sure if that's how you're supposed to do it, but if it works it works.https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-long-drive-pin-punch-set-93111.html

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
4mm philips head screwdriver and you knock the pin out on the reverse side to the champher on the hole the pin goes through.

Installation it's same 4mm screwdriver and knock it in from the champher side.

That'll make it nice and easy

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

this right side hub may not come out. i have repeatedly soaked it with deep creep and wailed on it with a hub puller and slide hammer like it owed me money and it hasn't budged. The other one came out with about 15 minutes of finagling. this axle came out harder than the other one too, with a minor dusting of rust, so i think the hub may be rusted into the inner bearing races tight enough that the 5lb slide hammer won't cut it. so now I'm pondering my next step.

i'm definitely still changing the axle since that came out of the hub. but i can't see any way to press the hub out with the tools I have, so as I see it my options are to pull the knuckle with the hub still in it and either 1) find someone with a hydraulic press and try that, or 2) scrap the whole assembly and buy a new hub and knuckle. either way i'd have to get a front end alignment afterword so my hopes of doing this without touching the alignment points may be dashed.

any advice? I've tappytapped all over the knuckle and hub with a ballpeen hammer, i've tried wedging a chisel into the gap between the hub and knuckle, i've tried hammering on the back side of the hub with an impact socket as the pushing tool, none of that's seemed to knock it loose. I'm going to keep hitting it with deep creep every few hours and try the slide hammer again tomorrow, maybe fog the inside of the hub with an upside-down can of duster to chill it in the hopes of shrinking it a bit, but beyond that I'm out of ideas for how to break this loose with the knuckle still on the car

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

At least try the hydraulic press option first before jumping straight to new knuckle time.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

At least try the hydraulic press option first before jumping straight to new knuckle time.

That was the plan, even before I found out that apparently only the left knuckles are still available from subaru :wtc:

i could spend a day at a junkyard wailing on hubs there but i may just come to the same result. time to get on the horn to neighbors and possibly local auto shops and find a press for borrow/hire

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i'm definitely still changing the axle since that came out of the hub. but i can't see any way to press the hub out with the tools I have, so as I see it my options are to pull the knuckle with the hub still in it and either 1) find someone with a hydraulic press and try that, or 2) scrap the whole assembly and buy a new hub and knuckle. either way i'd have to get a front end alignment afterword so my hopes of doing this without touching the alignment points may be dashed.

any advice? I've tappytapped all over the knuckle and hub with a ballpeen hammer, i've tried wedging a chisel into the gap between the hub and knuckle, i've tried hammering on the back side of the hub with an impact socket as the pushing tool, none of that's seemed to knock it loose. I'm going to keep hitting it with deep creep every few hours and try the slide hammer again tomorrow, maybe fog the inside of the hub with an upside-down can of duster to chill it in the hopes of shrinking it a bit, but beyond that I'm out of ideas for how to break this loose with the knuckle still on the car

I had to pull the entire knuckle, after a good 10 minutes with an air chisel didn't even budge it. We used the blue tip wrench (oxy/acet torch) generously while it was in a 20 ton press (bent the press too). When we were about to give up, we heard a gunshot. So we thought. It was the axle popping out of the loving hub. There was no rust visible either, the stub looked brand new. It was just stubborn as hell.

I... should replace that hub and wheel bearing eventually. :downs: The hub is warped after that (TBH it may have been warped before we heated it red hot), bearing is a little noisy too. :v: (surprisingly no play though) The roll pin came right out though, and the axle slid right off of the diff stub. I suspect the RF suspension was replaced as a complete assembly (including the axle); the car has a bit of damage on that side.

You can get away without an alignment immediately so long as you mark the cam bolt's position when you unbolt the knuckle, but you'll need one sooner rather than later. That's assuming you don't replace the knuckle anyway.

If that all fails, junkyard the knuckle (and take the axle with it if the boots aren't split and the far inner part is green - that'd be an original Subaru axle), don't buy this poo poo new. Not worth it on an old beater. Also see if there's a DIY shop in your area, if there is they'll probably have an air chisel on hand, and you can rent a bay/tools by the hour usually. That USUALLY pops a stubborn one out (it didn't in my case, but hey...).

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

well, using duster to freeze the hub didn't work, application of mild fire to the knuckle didn't work, and the joints in both my hands are stiff from all the slide hammering :quagmire: ive been doing the last two days. i'm ready to concede and pull the knuckle. the alignment points on the knuckle are the bolts that attach it to the strut and the position of the inner tie rod according to my clymer manual. the subaru shop manual doesn't mention where to scribe alignment marks since it just goes straight to pull the knuckle anyway.

also i've discovered while i'm under here that drat near every rubber boot on the whole front end is torn all the way around. the left axle is fine, and the right ball joints are fine, but the rest is toast. i have the replacement for the right axle already, which takes care of that, but i guess if i'm going to be getting an alignment i might as well be replacing the steering rack boots and ball joints

e: scribe marks? the yellow ones are me, the blue and white are old and appeared phoenixlike from the eighth inch of grime i scrubbed off

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 3, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So it is the hub you want to remove to deal with the wheel bearings? It's not coming off while the knuckle is in the car, it *has* to come out

Knuckle in the freezer and let it sit for a day to get completely cold. Heating it will not work - the metal is *expanding* into each other and making it tighter, you want it to contract. Just surface chilling will not work, you need everything to contract properly. Dry ice bath isnt a bad idea..... and you def need a press still.

The main reason why the driveshaft sticks in the splines is over tightening to get rid of wheelbearing slop.

Also when you remove the ball joint for the steering arm, get a hammer and smack the sides of where the ball joints sits - this shocks the taper to release.

Also to make the wheel bearing install easier, put the hub in a hot water bath and let it soak. That expands the hub so that the wheel bearings go in easier.

Edit : What the... STR you heated the knuckle or hub to red hot?!?!?!

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 4, 2021

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The hub. Not my idea, the owner of the DIY shop I was using did that. It did finally get the drat axle to pop out...

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

well, it's an extremely minor easter miracle. the hub is out of the knuckle. three days of spritzing it liberally with deep creep and tappytapping at various angles with various tools and hammers seems to have done it. the only thing i tried today that i hadn't before was wedging the angled end of a crowbar in between the hub and knuckle and tappytapping on the long end. i felt something give and was like "holy hell it bent this huge crowbar? but nope it finally budged so i threaded the slide hammer back into the puller and out it came

for now i'm taking a break but i've gotten the inner races off the hub and filed flush the tiny burrs i put on it. I could probably replace it too but... ehhh. it aint broke as far as i can tell. a woodworking straightedge and some feeler gauges doesn't show any observable gap so if I warped it its very minor. and i'll be greasing the poo poo out of everything so if it does have to come back out it hopefully won't be this difficult next time

e: lol i just realized AFTER THREE DAYS HE IS RISEN lmao

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 4, 2021

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

no more steampunk sound effects when turning. yay!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

no more steampunk sound effects when turning. yay!

HAHAHAH LOL what on earth are the pants that you are wearing??

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The best shadetree mechanic I know works in PJ pants a lot of the time. I don't know, maybe range of motion over jeans, maybe being cheaper than jeans? I tend to try to keep a pair of pants that IDGAF about ruining but something lighter than jeans would be nice for the summer I guess, prevent swamp balls.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Hey dont get me wrong, I'm not sayign it bad - I'm more highly amused and think it's cool as hell to be working on cars in PJ's :D

The PJ's I wear in the garage aren't half as cool as those

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i love myself a good set of dr seuss pjs

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i love myself a good set of dr seuss pjs

OMG they are too! This thread just keep getting better :D

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I took the car on a shakedown cruise on some country roads

that last one was marked "jeep trail" on the map so i couldn't not do it. a little careful choosing of line on the more washed/rocky parts and the car handled it like a champ. i did have one serious pucker moment though; i heard a loud thunk as something bottomed out over a series of bumps. turns out it was just the front tow hook, but now i want to get a skid plate. that unprotected oil pan up front was giving me the wrong kind of excitement

there's still some weird vibration at highway speeds, but it's a lot less. it's merely noticeable at 75 where before it felt unsafe to take the car above 60. it must be coming from something else because there is now absolutely zero play in all four wheel bearings. the vibration comes and goes with seemingly no reason, it isn't consistent about what makes it more or less noticeable

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 11, 2021

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I went to the local street legal drags and holy moly this shitbox is the slowest thing i've ever sent down a drag strip, and i've drag raced some real garbage

the best ET i got all night was an 18, and that was with 25psi front 23 rear, a 4k clutch dump and no-lift shifting. going down the track in anything resembling a manner sustainable for my clutch produced mid 19s with a good launch and 20+ if i bogged it. i'm pretty sure i had the highest dial-in out of the whole field lol

this poor thing took my dickhead driving in stride, but I need to develop some uh, more refined technique before I break something, especially considering drag racing isn't even the main thing I want to do with it

i may take my prius next week. it might actually be faster

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 15, 2021

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Prius will be faster.

My 03 OBW has a supposed 1/4 mile time in the 19s. And don't dump the clutch on a stock AWD Subaru unless you really like expensive noises.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah I knew it was gambling with my driveline but I figured with this car topping out at 103hp brand new and me planning on doing autocross and rallycross, if something was going to break from a couple clutch dumps it was going to break anyway

i pulled the rack off to inspect under them and other than a ton of :krust: it looks fine. There's some cracks in the paint but they appear to be over some crumbly white stuff that looks like body sealant, so everything looks fine. I'll hit it with some ruststop paint before putting the rack back on for my peace of mind

e: i considered not putting the rack back on to see how big of a difference it makes in gas milage, but 1) i have no weatherstripping to replace it 2) i have nowhere to store it and 3) there is a sillhouette of it outlined in clear coat where it shaded the roof from the sun lol

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 15, 2021

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

well.... second time at the drag strip, i had resolved to be much gentler with the clutch this time. but during the climb in first the rpms jumped from 4k to 6k in an instant. sounds like i've got a clutch job in my near future

in a dearth of caution and a desire to get the most out of my thirty bucks, i continued. if the clutch slipped any more I didn't see it. but i guess it's good to get a heads-up that the clutch is tired

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 12, 2021

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Did you break into the 17s?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Steely Dad posted:

Did you break into the 17s?

oh god no, last time with me beating the clutch like a rented mule i think my best time was eighteen and a half. this time i wasn't even in the teens :pwn:

e: also i'm going to try to do something about all the broken images

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 12, 2021

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

well, i made it into the 17s

by bringing the prius

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I've had zero money to spend, and with the price of gas, that means i have negative money to spend on working on the car. I'm a newly-minted Registered Nurse (wahoo!) though so I'll be getting a job sooner or later that should give me more than my current annual income of zero USD

I caught myself daydreaming about Cusco LSDs and Speeduino piggybacks the other day. job first, then hooliganism

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I've had zero money to spend, and with the price of gas, that means i have negative money to spend on working on the car. I'm a newly-minted Registered Nurse (wahoo!) though so I'll be getting a job sooner or later that should give me more than my current annual income of zero USD

I caught myself daydreaming about Cusco LSDs and Speeduino piggybacks the other day. job first, then hooliganism

Congratulations to you!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

general update: the red wagon's been sitting at my grandma's house cause I took a job at a hospital out in the boonies and could only bring one car. the battery's now dead as a doornail and the tires drier-looking than I remember, but with a jump it starts right up and 3 of the tires hold air, with the fourth taking about a week to set the rim on the ground. so it's driveable, but barely. i'm making optima and continental money now (thanks CNA/NNU) so i'll be getting some cool poo poo soon.

in the meantime, I bought a dirt bike. oh and a 2004 STi lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Cactus Ghost posted:

in the meantime, I bought a dirt bike. oh and a 2004 STi lol

This sounds like typical Subaru ownership :shepface:.