Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
a couple years ago, we had a poster here who was a test engineer for NGK. the main piece of wisdom i remember from him is that spark plugs shouldn't have anti-seize unless they're the black uncoated oldschool ones. any plated plugs are supposed to be installed dry.

it was a controversial opinion then, but ive taken it to heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

STR posted:

That said, it sounds like OP threw dielectric grease in the plug wire boots, which is something you should do.

Krakkles posted:

Yeah, this!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i was indeed referring to putting dielectric grease inside the wire boots, to keep moisture and crud out of the boot.

oh, durf, i guess i misread or jumped to the wrong conclusion.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

although i did put antiseize on the threads. the idea that you shouldn't is brand new news to me; that's interesting. i'll take a second look at my manuals and see if the torque specs specify if they're wet or dry

...although it somehow ended up being the right conclusion, for the wrong reason.

STR, you're right, you can get lengthy explanations online for both sides of why you should or shouldnt grease em, but i still defer to an actual engineer for the actual spark plug company. also i hate antiseize so any excuse not to put any on, ill take! :shobon: