Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My favourite car was my 2.2L '97 Impreza Outback Sport, so this is great.

There's a reason I've put way more into my '99 than it is worth.

Good job OP, now turbo swap it :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

shy boy from chess club posted:

Hell yes new Subaru thread. I tried tuning the radio in mine but it runs better on NPR

Same with my 97. It's got uncomfortable amounts of rust but in places that don't mechanically matter so I keep spending money on it. I surpassed spending 10 times what I paid for it a couple years ago ($200 lol)

I want to turbo swap it too, in fact we all should

Well gently caress, when the car is just about free you can't make any comparisons to what you paid for it. My 99 is almost completely rust-free thankffully, just a few spots where the paint got chipped off. I'm never going to compare the $250 I spent on my SVX to the cost of work I'm putting into it though. Otherwise I'd already be at 8x between a new TPS, a 1k mechanic's bill just to get it to make it the 100 miles home, and a new set of winter tires. And I'm going to be putting another 1k-1500 into it to replace the suspension since the front shocks are completely gone and I want to upgrade it a little bit.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What year is it? I must have missed it in the OP. If it's one of the years that uses the roll pin through the axle to retain it all I have to say is "you poor bastard." It will take more force than you expect, and if you put it on 180 degrees backwards it still won't work and you'll basically have to play chicken with yourself to decide whether to keep hammering or try flipping it.

What I remember working was using this set of punches, using one narrow enough that it slid through the hole in the pin so that I had a guide in the axle's hole rather than just having the punch constantly bounce off the pin and send it flying. Not sure if that's how you're supposed to do it, but if it works it works.https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-long-drive-pin-punch-set-93111.html

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The best shadetree mechanic I know works in PJ pants a lot of the time. I don't know, maybe range of motion over jeans, maybe being cheaper than jeans? I tend to try to keep a pair of pants that IDGAF about ruining but something lighter than jeans would be nice for the summer I guess, prevent swamp balls.