Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

almost 6 year old has hit the "i dont wanna go to school" and "you cant tell me what to do" phase almost literally overnight. wtf happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Arson Daily posted:

almost 6 year old has hit the "i dont wanna go to school" and "you cant tell me what to do" phase almost literally overnight. wtf happened

Older child had me at a bit of an impasse. The only thing that really seemed to work was "I can't make you do anything, but I also don't have to give you things that you'll enjoy or allow you to play video games etc, so think about just how far you want to go here in insisting that you don't want to go to your room."

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we're big on "responsibilities vs privileges" in the fool household

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Older child had me at a bit of an impasse. The only thing that really seemed to work was "I can't make you do anything, but I also don't have to give you things that you'll enjoy or allow you to play video games etc, so think about just how far you want to go here in insisting that you don't want to go to your room."

its def uncharted waters for me because shes been pretty agreeable so far but now its hard stop "i dont wanna do that". i know its all a phase but the suddenness of it was really surprising.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Volmarias posted:

turns out the “I can’t make you do anything, but I can sure make it so you wish that you had” mentality works on kids and adults alike

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

this does not work on 3 year olds much to my disappointment

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

lowes is giving out diy bird feeders so kiddo and i spent the morning hammering it together. it was fun! shes really proud of the thing she made

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

on week # 2 (or 3? gently caress) of this 11 month old’s latest sleep regression

the previous one was at 8 months

we’re sleeping in shifts again like we did when he was born :shepicide:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
last week the wife took the kids on a mini vacation for four days during spring break along with her mother and sister while I stayed home alone with the dog.

This week they are at the MIL’s all week because our kids school district is still off this week but my wife’s spring break is over and she has to go back to teaching this week.

ngl it has been nice to be kid free this much, my mental stress levels are waaay down. Plus, we can watch something in the evening without getting interrupted 47x by the children coming down after bedtime.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

on week # 2 (or 3? gently caress) of this 11 month old’s latest sleep regression

the previous one was at 8 months

we’re sleeping in shifts again like we did when he was born :shepicide:

check your pm's if you want the good poo poo

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Yo I want to talk to someone who has multiple kids where each kid has an apple watch. Is this the place to do that?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have one with an apple watch

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

just ask your question

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

is the Apple Watch secured by Entrust?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

is the Apple Watch secured by Entrust?

lmaooo

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

no this is the place that will never buy their children apple watches, because they're technology for literal children.

oh wait...

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

The Fool posted:

I have one with an apple watch

same

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

went to IKEA I'm now 5 years older

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

The Fool posted:

just ask your question

OK so here's my story.

Because I am a good parent, my kids don't have their own iPhones or iPads. But, because I am a bad parent, they have an iPhone and an iPad that they sahre. The iPhone has a prepaid SIM and basically functions as a "house phone".

We want to get them Apple Watches so that they can go out and about in the world and be able to contact us without having an actual phone. However, while you can have two watches attached to one phone, you can't have both watches work at the same time. At least that's what I've been able to figure out so far. Also seems annoying for them to have to share a number at that point.

So the question is what should I do.

Actually typing all this out made me realize that I should just get them phones gently caress an apple watch that's dumb.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

use family mode https://support.apple.com/en-us/109036

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

but then their apple watches will each have different phone #s from the house phone

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

sharing numbers/accounts like that is directly opposite of apples supported pattern and you're going to have an up hill battle the entire time if you keep doing that

let them have their own numbers and accounts, set them up in a family and make sure everyone has everyone else's contacts

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
my nephew wanted an Apple Watch, the family plan requiring cellular was such a hassle it was easier to give him a used iPhone to go with his used Apple Watch
he got his aunts old gen 3 watch and his grandpas old iPhone

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the nice thing about the watch is social media isn’t on it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

the nice thing about the watch is social media isn’t on it

yeah

especially if it's set up as a family member watch

text
call
gps

that's it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The Fool posted:

yeah

especially if it's set up as a family member watch

text
call
gps

that's it

oh wow i didn't know you could lock it down so much. sounds like little jones is gonna get one then

not any time soon, though. maybe when he's 30.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

wait, it’s a thing to give kids $500 watches and expect them to not immediately be broken into 1000 pieces?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

wait, it’s a thing to give kids $500 watches and expect them to not immediately be broken into 1000 pieces?

in my kids’ schools yeah it is. it’s insane.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

it's like $350 for the SE with applecare and all

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I’m a bad parent so my kid has the cheap iPad. I’m a good parent because I turned off everything and require him to submit requests via family settings to download new apps from the App Store, so I can reject all the lovely games he sees on ads that get through the pihole.

so it’s basically a portable slay the spire and Disney plus console. the screen time isn’t ideal but he’s not watching a bunch of weird Hitler youth pretend to be superheroes on YouTube at least.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
ps there is a special place in hell for adults that create worthless content directed at children. all the toy unboxing, Ryan’s world and clones, and Mormon families prostituting their litter of blonde children need to burn.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

family setup is kinda jank and doesn’t support all carriers. ask me how I know

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Well Played Mauer posted:

ps there is a special place in hell for adults that create worthless content directed at children. all the toy unboxing, Ryan’s world and clones, and Mormon families prostituting their litter of blonde children need to burn.

extremely this

my kid started watching i think ninja kids tube or something and it's just the worst garbage. in one the kids are all chanting let's go brandon and that was the day i blocked youtube on almost everything and set up tubesync to download only the stuff my wife and i have selected so we can watch them in plex.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we got my son his when he turned 8. we would have waited longer but his friends started getting them too

8 is probably the youngest I'd go, my son wouldn't have had any sense of responsibility younger than that

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

family setup is kinda jank and doesn’t support all carriers. ask me how I know

that sucks, it worked fine for us on Verizon

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The Fool posted:

that sucks, it worked fine for us on Verizon
I had to swap carriers (that’s a local issue) but also it stopped detecting the watch I had to flatten and reinstall it. That was after a bunch of issues at setup time that required reboots etc when they shouldn’t.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Elder Postsman posted:

extremely this

my kid started watching i think ninja kids tube or something and it's just the worst garbage. in one the kids are all chanting let's go brandon and that was the day i blocked youtube on almost everything and set up tubesync to download only the stuff my wife and i have selected so we can watch them in plex.

I really need to go into his account and block a bunch of that poo poo but there's just so much of it. I tried the YouTube-do thing and he absolutely didn't go for it.

e: til you can't actually block a channel on YouTube, you can only tell it to stop recommending a channel. loving horseshit.

Well Played Mauer fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 14, 2024

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

hopefully youtube will be dead by the time my son wants to have a device

maybe he’ll be one of those luddite teens

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Elder Postsman posted:

it's like $350 for the SE with applecare and all

what does a kid do with a non-cellular apple watch

what does a kid do with a cellular one? how do they even remember to charge it every night?

im so confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if you lock it down app-wise and leave it in low-power mode the whole time I bet it would last 3 days between charges, so you work it into the bedtime routine and you're set? maybe?