Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

well you don't get them a non-cellular one, and with the cellular one they can text and call and share their location.

we didn't get our kid one until she was 11, she's on top of things well enough to charge it most nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the new episode of bluey destroyed me lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

what does a kid do with a cellular one?

he can call or text his friends or us, we can call or text him, he can check his location if he's out on his own

it works really well as a "phone-lite" experience and in helping give him more independence while maintaining the perception of safety

Subjunctive posted:

if you lock it down app-wise and leave it in low-power mode the whole time I bet it would last 3 days between charges, so you work it into the bedtime routine and you're set? maybe?

yeah, mostly this, kiddo is pretty good about keeping it charged on his own

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Our kids each have the cheapest android phone I could find, with family link installed so we can monitor their screen time, approve new apps and track their location (this last part is a consent based temporary measure until they're older)

They also have ipads but only because we needed something for remote school during lockdown.

The oldest is pretty good at limiting his own use of both devices, the youngest is very much not

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Elder Postsman posted:

it's like $350 for the SE with applecare and all

It's $538 with applecare and taxes

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

jeebus bob posted:

Our kids each have the cheapest android phone I could find

if I give my kids green text bubbles their friends will not talk to them (not just because lol android sucks, which it does (although would be 100% fine for what my kids need), but also because some of their friends have ONLY apple watch or ONLY ipad, so imessage is the thing to use)

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Dans Macabre posted:

It's $538 with applecare and taxes

idk man here in the united states of america after taxes and everything an apple watch se, 40mm, gps + cellular + applecare came to $348. $373.49 after taxes. i'm looking at the receipt right now.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Elder Postsman posted:

idk man here in the united states of america after taxes and everything an apple watch se, 40mm, gps + cellular + applecare came to $348. $373.49 after taxes. i'm looking at the receipt right now.

oh oops you're talking about the watch, I was talking about iphone by now (that's on me I moved the goal posts)

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

it's also partly apple's fault for naming everything the same

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Dans Macabre posted:

if I give my kids green text bubbles their friends will not talk to them (not just because lol android sucks, which it does (although would be 100% fine for what my kids need), but also because some of their friends have ONLY apple watch or ONLY ipad, so imessage is the thing to use)

I genuinely haven't seen a convincing argument to support the hate for android phones. Is it just effective marketing?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

if you include a poor in your group text, iMessage falls back to MMS quality images and video which ruins it for real people

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m looking forward to that part improving this year, but also android is insecure as hell and while it’s way better than 2012-2016?ish, it’s still less secure than iOS. factor in feeling like every app is either an advert or using your image library to train AI and it just sucks

iOS notified me today that the stock weather.app accessed my location 40x recently. it’s because I checked the app a few times + the Apple Watch widget pinging for data. I don’t min d false positives at all

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

factor in feeling like every app is either an advert or using your image library to train AI and it just sucks

I have never felt like this lmao

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

privacy ios is for sure better on, and getting updates. outside that though security as in getting-hacked i don't think android is any worse than ios, google has a pretty great track record.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Same. Big ol sobby gasps and everything. Goddamn Bluey. 😭

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

jeebus bob posted:

I genuinely haven't seen a convincing argument to support the hate for android phones. Is it just effective marketing?

It's because there's no iMessage client for Android, and no Whatsapp client for iPad. A lot of kids have iPad only or Apple Watch only.

Really we should get all these kids onto Discord :hmmyes:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

if you lock it down app-wise and leave it in low-power mode the whole time I bet it would last 3 days between charges, so you work it into the bedtime routine and you're set? maybe?
The rare times they don't remember before getting in bed they give it to me to put on the charger when I do the last bedtime check. Charging it isn't the issue. Battery life is just a little garbage (like, barely a day if he has fun with it), the software integration is meh, and now it won't connect to my phone anymore so I'm going to have to reset it again. Would not buy again (for that use case anyway).

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i don’t have an android but if i did i simply wouldn’t install lovely apps

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

jeebus bob posted:

arguments about functionality aside, middle and high school are social thunderdomes and there is no difference small enough that it won't be used as ammunition to brutally enforce clique membership

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

arguments about functionality aside, middle and high school are social thunderdomes and there is no difference small enough that it won't be used as ammunition to brutally enforce clique membership

basically this. at least all the kids get the same exact lovely chromebooks so that’s not a competition.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Shifty Pony posted:

That makes sense, I'm just glad this country is roughly 50-50 wrt iPhone/Android and as far as I can tell there's no social stratification on that basis in our schoolyard

Chat and social media however... Like a lot of the other kids are using Snapchat as their main communication tool and for adhd reasons we've decided not to let our kids have that app. This has not been well received but, well, tough poo poo.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
caring about what phone someone has is the most basic and embarrassing poo poo on earth. one of the moms at my kid's school did it to me once and i thought she was doing a bit and laughed but then she just kept saying it

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
despite not really having much of a culture of iMessage (the UK is mainly WhatsApp) my mate says his kids were begging for iPhones instead of android to avoid the stigma at school so apparently we’ve just imported that bit wholesale.

guess I’ve got this sort of stuff to look forward to, found out on Saturday that mrs t-rex is pregnant! scary as gently caress and not sunk in properly yet though

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Surprise T Rex posted:

despite not really having much of a culture of iMessage (the UK is mainly WhatsApp) my mate says his kids were begging for iPhones instead of android to avoid the stigma at school so apparently we’ve just imported that bit wholesale.

guess I’ve got this sort of stuff to look forward to, found out on Saturday that mrs t-rex is pregnant! scary as gently caress and not sunk in properly yet though

Surprise T Rex indeed

Congrats!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Yospos spent 13 years making “no points” jokes to then be surprised there is social stigma about poor phones

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
You don’t need an iPhone, but a phone full of os level ads is just sad

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Perplx posted:

You don’t need an iPhone, but a phone full of os level ads is just sad

like the “get 3 months free Apple Arcade” in settings

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I like how every time I turn on my kids ipad it advertises Siri and apple pay to me. When I don't set up assistant or wallet on Android it just... quietly leaves them not set up

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i usually don't mind first-party ads so much but they have gotten way worse in the last few years

also, got a "you're not the boss of me" last night :allears:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i am not with my kids other parent, so I get some very sincere and weighty threats to dob me in for not acquiescing to the whims of a six year old lol

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

jeebus bob posted:

Chat and social media however... Like a lot of the other kids are using Snapchat as their main communication tool and for adhd reasons we've decided not to let our kids have that app. This has not been well received but, well, tough poo poo.
snapchat is SUCH a dark-patterned piece of poo poo lmao

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah they're insane. i don't participate in any of those apps because i checked out youtube shorts once and lost an hour just mindlessly scrolling. the infinite short video format is laser-focused on controlling our attention and action with no measurable benefit accrued to the victim user.

the format is so powerful that sometimes i find myself mindlessly scrolling _the amazon version_. it's completely useless to me. it's only very very infrequently amusing. there is no actual reason for me to waste time on that - and yet, infinite scrolling short video is laser focused on...

if little jones ever gets ahold of an app that uses this format, he's basically done for. i'm actually hoping that it (or rather, the type of laser-focusing that creates it) will somehow be outlawed or made unprofitable by the time he's big enough to really _need_ to use the internet

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
yeah it’s pretty rough. especially as someone with ADHD. the occasional funny tiktok video in between mountains of poo poo and ads does the “intermittent reward” thing that makes online slots and stuff so insanely addicting. Billions of dollars spent on weaponising human psychology to sell you poo poo.

tldr: dopamine slot machine app go brrrr

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Sometimes my partner sends me a link to a funny youtube short.
45 minutes later I get to remind her she is an idiot and that it's her fault I haven't finished the household task I was doing at the time.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Eeyo posted:

hopefully youtube will be dead by the time my son wants to have a device

maybe he’ll be one of those luddite teens

I think the second is more likely than the first and both are, in the absence of further information, low percentage propositions.

luv2wetblanket

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah they're insane. i don't participate in any of those apps because i checked out youtube shorts once and lost an hour just mindlessly scrolling. the infinite short video format is laser-focused on controlling our attention and action with no measurable benefit accrued to the victim user.

the format is so powerful that sometimes i find myself mindlessly scrolling _the amazon version_. it's completely useless to me. it's only very very infrequently amusing. there is no actual reason for me to waste time on that - and yet, infinite scrolling short video is laser focused on...

if little jones ever gets ahold of an app that uses this format, he's basically done for. i'm actually hoping that it (or rather, the type of laser-focusing that creates it) will somehow be outlawed or made unprofitable by the time he's big enough to really _need_ to use the internet

my state senator is pushing a bill that basically bans algorithmic content recommendations for anyone under 18. passed the senate easily but the house wants some research into ways to comply with it after Facebook complained that "expressly and unambiguously requested" (referring to allowing searched-for content to be shown) was ambiguous :rolleyes:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I got asked what magnets were last night lmao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I got asked what magnets were last night lmao

its magic

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Incorrect, it's miracles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

we’ve watched it like 4 times now and my wife has cried every time