Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Ymmv but given that layout, I would rotate the bed so its head is against the top wall between the two windows. I would also put doors on the wardrobes, not just for aesthetics but also because the sun can bleach your clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm in love with this couch design (the arm pillow situation specifically) but it's made by a super low-end place. Please tell me it's a knockoff of something higher-quality?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Both, but I think the arm pillows are the more unusual aspect

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Thanks! I don't need anything actually high-end. Middlebrow places like Raymour & Flanigan would probably be fine. The one I posted is from a store I've never heard of called Value City, so I just have visions of it turning to sawdust as I sit down

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

cheese eats mouse posted:

Having been to a Value City you are correct.
Thanks, what a bummer. Tbh I still want it anyway and the only thing preventing me is that apparently I'd have to pick it up from a store in Pennsylvania. Which I guess is a good thing in the long run. Still want it tho :smith:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

If there's a name or term to help with searching I'd love to know what it is.
Try: glass top table display art

You can also just buy any table you like and then get glass cut to fit, if the art you're displaying is flat

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 19, 2021

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
How do you dye a 100lb rug and get it to set?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
How has yours lasted? Using an all-purpose dye with no heat, acid, or fixative seems like a recipe for a super fugitive, crocking mess

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Googling "history of interior design styles" gets you a lot, but really I think you're looking for a book. I would go to your library and look there for a 101-level overview.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I think you might as well bite the bullet, get the base you want, and find (or more likely build) a separate bookcase you want to stack on top.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Is the porch literally just screened-in or does it have all glass windows that close to keep out rain and snow? If the latter, I think it would be totally fine to convert it to a mudroom without insulating it or adding HVAC. That's extremely common where I grew up. I think it would also be way cheaper if the job is just adding a door and a walkway.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Do you genuinely like those pieces or did you just inherit them? Because facebook and craigslist are jammed with people unloading Grandma's dining room set for cheap. You can find a more neutral set that you like and release your grandma's set. It's the circle of life

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I agree with keeping a couple tchotchkes and yeeting the rest. I would not be a white person trying to make faux bamboo (unless your entire vibe is tropical) or chinoiserie happen in 2022. If you do want to be that person, those are the terms to search for. Any chance your boyfriend might care any more if you put it that way?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Like $20-100 probably. Do you have any reason to think they were exceptional at the time vs. being mass-produced? You mean they were made around 1970, right, not given to them as antiques?

The style isn't widely popular now (which is what's driving the value of MCM) and you can find tons of it on craigslist or facebook marketplace, more in the last couple years due to the increased rate of dead grandmas. Sorry.

If my assumptions are incorrect, you could flip them over and look for a maker, and/or take them to a furniture appraiser / antiques dealer.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 19, 2022

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What software y’all use to plan out spaces?

Love free software, excited for hot goon recommendations.
floorplanner.com is good enough for me

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can get perfectly good curtains for cheap, buying new ones won't be a drop in the bucket

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That's a backsplash. You could DIY a real one for not too much money and trouble. The extremely cheap version is aluminum foil secured with painters' tape. Don't use a tarp or anything else that could possibly catch on fire. Usually for kitchens you do high-gloss paint throughout because it's easier to clean, so that will also help to a degree.

All the questions about colors are basically just a matter of taste. There's no reason not to paint your bedroom pure white if that's what you like. Dark wood floors and white walls are totally fine, dark wood and white paint in general are a very popular combination right now. If you can get closer to what you like, you can be like "hey does this carnation pink go with avocado green?" and get more useful feedback here.

Kitchen cabinets are just stupidly expensive for whatever reason. Ikea is supposed to be cheaper, but iirc they're all in metric, so it's unlikely to match their doors to existing boxes. If I knew a dude with a table saw, I would just cut down high-quality plywood and paint them tbh.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That's interesting, I don't think those are common at all in the US. But I searched for "standing oil splatter guard" and they're definitely sold here, I've just never seen one irl.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I might be a witch

https://www.modernindesigns.com/jays-plywood-bar-stool-mid-f10052.html

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
No, there are a bunch of variations / I don't know the original name. But those were the chairs my high school had and I was driven by hate. I googled "bent plywood stool" or "bent plywood bar stool" and then scrolled through images until I spotted one. Btw, check the height of yours because they make both a bar-height and a counter-height one!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
My priority is ease of upkeep/cleaning. The shadow lines look great, but how good are they going to be in a really difficult place to reach after a couple of years of dust? The fabric sheets look good too, but it's an old house and there are plenty of bugs who love eating starch. If you don't have a ton of money and a serious housekeeper, these things are super important factors for your daily life.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Ymmv but I would want to highlight the original old-growth hardwood, not put up a ton of inevitably inferior plywood to distract from it. It's a little dark stairwell, without even enough room for a chair or a bookcase or anything, right? I would just paint it in an interesting light color, hang some art, and give more thought and money to the rooms where you'll be spending time. It's okay if a little hallway is a palate cleaner and not a showpiece.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The issue is light pollution. If you approach it that way, you might be able to get them (both your landlord and the other building) to direct it downward at least. I don't think blinds are super effective; most people do blackout curtains, which are cheaper plus easier to customize a size.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You could do a double rod with sheers for the day and blackouts for night. You should mount the pole so there's extra space on all four sides, which you need so light doesn't get in around the edges, but it also means during the day you can get the blackout curtains completely on the sides of the window.

They do make shields, though, that should take like 15 minutes for the super to mount if you can talk them into it

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Thanks! Btw maybe this is obvious, but if it's a pain to open-close the curtains, you should look into a rope pull / pull string / traverse curtain rod. That's the kind of quality of life thing that imo is totally worth it even in a rental.

The shields aren't expensive either, btw, you can offer to supply them if that makes it easier, so literally all it needs is the super's time

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
floorplanner.com is free, and fine for playing around if you want

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The original style is an English gentleman’s club, not a ’70s lounge or something. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/english-gentlemen-clubstyle-decorating-89369.html

I agree it came from a sexist, racist period, but everyone loves mcm so I don’t think that’s inherently a disqualifier, as long as what you like is the wood paneling and comfortable chesterfields rather than phrenology sculptures and banning women

You probably won’t find anyone doing the exact level of mix-and-match you want. Figuring out your favorite combinations is how you make your own aesthetic.

You can look at r/malelivingspaces and see if anyone is on your wavelength vs. beatmasterj’s. I haven’t been on apartment therapy for years, but they used to go nuts for men’s spaces, so it might be worth checking there too. Restoration Hardware can get pretty into that kind of macho look

e: I’m so dumb lol, look up dark academia for a gen z take. Gentlemen’s clubs by way of Ivy League common rooms

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 26, 2023

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Millennials didn’t kill dinner parties (we invented Friendsgiving!), we just permanently deformalized them. As part of that lack of formality, most people are usually cool sitting on floor cushions, but some people can’t or will find it uncomfortable, or you might have your parents over sometime. A gateleg or other type of expanding table is the perfect compromise imo, but if you have enough space, a permanent table is cool too. I would get 4 seats if you can swing it. Or at minimum have high-quality, high-capacity folding chairs stashed in a closet if possible. If you ever do actually have a dinner party (and you should, it’s fun!), people will probably wind up crosslegged on the floor anyway, you just want them to have the choice

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 27, 2023

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Chevy Slyme posted:

Every room more or less requires a rug because of building rules
Are you in a weird place where they’re going to do inspections?

Here (NYC) the standard rule is 80% of the floor must be covered with rugs. However, if you don’t make noise, nobody gives a gently caress. It’s just there so that if you have dogs or kids or a fondness for high heels, and the downstairs tenant is miserable, the landlord can make you cover the floors. But if you don’t, it’s totally fine (I’ve lived with 100% hardwood for 15+ years). Ymmv depending on where you are

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It’s not creaking they’re trying to cover, it’s impact from high heels or running kids, or scrabbling from dog toenails. My building is about 100 years old fwiw

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I think 3D would look great at first, but it wouldn’t be dusted once in 10 years.

Prioritizing cheap, have you looked into some of the big murals or maybe wallpaper with a really large pattern? It has to be very large-scale and appropriate to the space, but it could look really good imo. Or one of those geometric patterns you DIY with painters’ tape, although that might date faster. I would do that entire upper window section, all three sides of the box, not just the area between the windows.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Sectional goes like this so you can create an area pretending to focus on the fireplace but actually focused on the TV. Circles could be a different loveseat or individual seat or seat and table, or coffee table, etc. Top left and bottom right are separate arrangements of whatever your thing is, plants, bookcase, endtable, sculpture, piano, etc.

You can put a console table or slim organizer against the back of the sectional facing the sliders, so it has things you need coming in and going out.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 11, 2023

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If I had an elderly incontinent pet, and then it died, that’s when I would get a sofa professionally cleaned. Other than that we’re good

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The used furniture market has changed dramatically over the last ~5 years. Furniture flipping became a huge thing. Plus as gen z has grown and moved out, their home styles are very different than millennials’, meaning a lot more competition for non-MCM pieces, which you used to not be able to give away

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Off the top of my head, a couple examples are Memphis Milano as above (aka Nickelodeon), moody maximalism, cottagecore, coquette, and that thing (idk if it’s been named yet) with pastel checkerboard everything and wacky organic shapes. Those are a few trends that very very few millennials would ever have considered with their all-gray/beige and MCM obsession. And they all lend themselves a lot more to non-MCM vintage furniture, meaning a lot more competition where there used to be zero.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That’s true, but if you haven’t noticed, everything is expensive as poo poo and people are being laid off left and right. Seven years ago you could get a $150 new Ikea dresser or you could get a $50 dresser from 1920 or 1950. Now that vintage dresser is probably going to be flipped, which means having its curves cut off, its pulls replaced, and being spraypainted or paint washed, for $500+. Or an unflipped vintage dresser for $200 if you can somehow beat all the flippers to it. Or the Ikea dresser for $200.

I’m sure a $1k dresser is great, but for a lot of people, it’s not realistic to spend your rent on a dresser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I live in NYC and I’m all over facebook marketplace. The market has changed significantly in the last 5 years. Almost all antique/vintage pieces of the kind I used to get for nothing are either dramatically more expensive, newly spraypainted and dramatically more expensive, or “oh I actually sold it to someone this morning.”