Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Just pissin’ away money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

Also yes coworker's girlfriend is an odd duck in general. I don't think it's quite hoarding I think it's that she's someone who thinks all her junk is ~*valuable*~ and won't let it go for less. I've known other people like that and they tend to sit on the stuff because no one will give them the price they want. Or they're feeling charitable and give it/will it to you thinking they're doing you a favor. I've been gifted many things from relatives who impressed into kid me that the item was oh so valuable and to take care of it. Years later the few of these items that have hung around weren't worth jack poo poo: I think they just wanted young me to appreciate it or not destroy it.

My SO has a relative with a storage locker full of Beanie Babies that they’re sure are going to be worth something someday. Imagine paying a fee every month for that :psyduck: Some people just can’t accept that the trinkets they bought were a bad “investment”.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Cornuto posted:

Going to drop a warning to never buy furniture from Inside Weather. We purchased a Bondi Sofa back in May that just arrived and it's the worst couch I've ever seen. Its worse than dorm futons and cost $2,700 usd. If you return it within 14 days you can get back your money minus 15% of the non-discount price as an 'environmental fee' so best case scenario we are out like $500.

You basically get the wish.com version of what they advertise on their site.

E: Oh also their return strategy is for us to warehouse the couch in our house for 2-3 weeks while they resell it at a markdown to someone else. Then they will schedule a truck to come get it. :wtc:

That’s disappointing. I’d seen ads of theirs and looked at their shelving when I was shopping around; the units they had didn’t fit what I had in mind but I thought some of their other stuff looked nice. I wonder if they’ve started cutting corners to try to get orders out the door to people.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

If you don’t find something from a local artisan I’ll recommend Felt + Fat for your bowl buying needs. I slowly swapped out all of my tableware with their stuff and it’s really good quality. The share bowl linked above seems like it should fit your needs.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I think he’s more looking for something like a cigar bar/room aesthetic:

e: i think you’re going to need to be clearer on what, specifically, you want to see “updated” with this style. Do you want to get rid of some of the ornate touches like the brass rivets in the armchairs? The edge profile of things like counters? Do you want to go with a big overstuffed leather armchair or something like a Scandi-style small armchair?

I will say that I think you’ll have a hard time finding images that fit this style because the type of people who are into it really lean into it hard. I think you might be better off looking at those images of organic modern that you mentioned and seeing where you can fit in some details that call back to the style you’re looking for, rather than trying to design “speakeasy, but in 2023”.

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 25, 2023

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If it's actual marble rather than a marbleized surface, it is a pain in the butt to keep clean, and it stains. Other than that, do you have a chance to sit in the chairs? A dining room chair needs to be comfortable, because you're generally sitting in it for at least half an hour.

This is why I always laugh when I see photos of homes with Tolix chairs in their dining rooms. They are not comfortable for more than 15-30 minutes and that’s at least part of the reason why they’re so popular in bistros and coffee shops. Imagine putting a set in your house willingly.

E:

BigFactory posted:

I wouldn’t buy chairs from target I couldn’t see in person. Unless you look at them as purely disposable

Yeah I’ve noticed that they sell a lot of stuff on their website these days that seems to not actually come from Target and the quality can vary wildly. I don’t think any Target chairs are going to last more than a few years but it’s even more of a gamble nowadays.

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 26, 2023

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I've settled on a 2x2 short square Kallax under the window with a large money tree in the corner. It's available in white stained oak effect which would match my bed and nightstands, but since it will be visually separated by the money tree and next to my white top desk, I think it makes sense to go with white.

They won't get much use day to day, only when I have guests over which is rare. So I guess that's disposable?

If you want to have repeat guests I would suggest making sure that they have comfortable seating.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Honestly your goal at the moment should be getting functional pieces that will actually be used instead of aping a design that you think looks good with cheap lookalikes. If you spend 600 dollars on a dining set but no one wants to use it because it’s uncomfortable and falling apart then you’re just wasting half a K.

I know IKEA isn’t exactly sexy, but you can get a Docksta tulip table and two Odger dining chairs for about 500 bucks. They’re similar in design to the things you’re looking at while not trying to be those things, and crucially you can actually touch and sit in them before buying. Also, if you take decent care of them you can sell them off to someone else if/when you decide to move on to something better. The Costway stuff will just wind up in a landfill.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

BigFactory posted:

I have ikea stuff that’s going on 15 years old and is still in good shape, with daily use.

Same here. The last couple of times we’ve moved we’ve taken the opportunity to upgrade a few things and have sold the IKEA stuff for probably 60-70% of what we paid for it.

Also lol that iOS autocorrect capitalizes IKEA automatically. Brand synergy baby

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Okay, I've convinced myself that white Docksta + navy Odger is the best option for stuff I'll rarely use but needs to work when I do and also look good.

Would it look weird to only have 2 chairs at a 40" table? Yes, this whole exercise is for when I bring over a date, and I do have more chairs for the one time a year I might have more people over, but I do worry it will look mismatched. I certainly don't mind not spending another $250 on a 2nd pair of chairs though.

I'm planning to pick them up next weekend.

Fair enough.

Our round dining table had only two chairs around it for a year and a half. It was a small space and it looked fine. We kept other chairs out of sight in case someone was over.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I think we’re going to need pictures of this huge white/pink/coral coffee table to properly assist

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Depends on the climate imo. Growing up anything over 72 at night was miserable, but we lived in a very humid climate. I moved to a very dry state and now 73-75 is right in the zone for me. If I go back east though you better believe that hotel AC is cranked to 68.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

marjorie posted:

Since hanging artwork is being discussed, was wondering if folks have strong opinions about framing. I have a few prints including a fairly large one (approx 100 cm x 70cm), and I'm looking to do a simple minimalist black frame for all of them - probably using mats on the smaller ones. It looks like my options are, in order by cost: using a local framing service, using an online one, or getting frames at thrift stores\hobby shops and doing it myself (at least for the ones of more standard sizes).

These aren't crazy fancy, so am I remiss for considering the online option for at least the large one to save money? Has anyone used one of them before?

I’ve used Framebridge for a few prints and have been mostly satisfied. If you look closely you can see some signs that they’re just cranking these things out instead of taking the time a local framing store would, but by and large they’re acceptable.

I’m actually about to try Level to frame a topo relief map I got for Christmas. A friend has been happy with them and they are a bit cheaper. I have also used Frame USA to frame some smaller things; they’re closer in quality to the sort of frames you would get at Target or something. Alright for things that aren’t getting a close look, but I wouldn’t use them for a main attraction piece.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

This is spot on imo. I think fast furniture also doesn’t get as much attention because even the cheap stuff is still expensive compared to a $10 shirt at H&M or something, and in my experience used furniture is still likely to find a home in a way that fast fashion doesn’t really. We were able to sell pretty much any of the IKEA-level furniture we had as we replaced it with higher-quality items because for the most part it lasts. The cheap Lack tables and the like aren’t going to make it but they do stock plenty of furniture that is solidly built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I invite you to go used furniture shopping in my immediate environs, which have either “hipster shop charging way too much for decent stuff” or “dirt cheap stuff at the antique mall that is wildly out of fashion” and not much in between. We did buy some used stuff but it took months of hunting and I don’t blame people who don’t want to deal with that mess.