Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Can someone give me the down low on a table that has a dropped vault surface for gaming purposes like Wyrmwood etc. on the mid to high end? I'll be moving to a new construction home in the next half year to year (depends on how many more delays) and I'd like to entertain the thought of having a combo boardgame / dining room table thing. I'd likely have enough space though that I could probably just make or buy a table for nice presentation and dining separately from a 'gaming table', if such a thing is even worthwhile. Is there any reasonable insight to getting one, not getting one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I have a house under construction and we did pre-drywall orientation and inspection. Turns out there's a dead space underneath the stairs through a coat closet and it's quite sizable. I'd like to consider knocking down the interior back wall of that coat closet and then turning that dead space into something - I don't have measurements, but I think you could totally fit a portable desk or a chaise and such in there. There's no ventilation going to there but it could also serve as a contained crafting workspace for indoor airbrushing so paint doesn't fly everywhere in any other part of the house. Or, just having it be storage for odds and ends but consistent - secret book nook, luggage, I've seen these crawl spaces turned into wine cellars, that kind of thing. I think you can fit a half-size door to get in there but not a full ADA-compliant door.

Is trying to take advantage of that dead space a good idea or am I potentially cruising for a big headache? My realtor knows a renovator dude and they could probably knock it out for a couple grand and finish it out.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Access is from the entry hallway so the stairs run along the structural wall up, and then there’s a powder room and then the coat closet and subsequent dead space. There is an area where the stairs do an L shape but that means there’s a space on the bend you could knock out to shove a piece of luggage or something onto. Maybe a dog den there. I’d have to go back and take measurements to determine viability of actually turning that area into a secret space to hang out in.