Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

deoju posted:

I've got this weird corner in my apartment and I don't know what the hell to do with it.

I used to have my desk there, but it just ended up being the place where I threw poo poo I didn't know what to do with. That window faces almost due south, and It's how I get most sunlight in the room so I don't want to block it. My place consists of bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and this room, so it is where I spend most of my time.
Here's a little map I drew up to help me plan things...

Any tips on what the gently caress to do here would be appreaciated.

Maybe line it with bookshelves, throw an ottoman/low chair in the center in case you want to actually sit there while you read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

deoju posted:

Dunno what the previous tenant had. And I'm a renter, so a big modification isn't in the cards.

Bingo.

Here's a heavily cropped pic so as not to dox myself...

It's a two unit building, like a duplex, but vertical instead of horizontal. Not sure if that has a specific name. I live upstairs. The window I posted earlier is on the left in that pic.

I'm guessing there's a joke here that I'm missing... Is this a quote from a movie or something?

I think they're just riffing on the idea of building a stage in that space.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
That seems like a good place to put some plants. Or yeah, cat loft is a cute idea.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

falz posted:

These are the worst garage sales anyway, where things are marked up above retail vs the "everything must go" price when you just want to purge stuff.

No one will buy her dollar store merch marked up a few bucks, your friend is screwed with a hoarder.
I have a friend who not only hoards stacks of stuff for a garage sale that will never happen, but also trawls thrift stores daily for random crap to add to the pile because "nobody stops at a garage sale where the tables are picked-over, you have to salt them in order to lure buyers to the good stuff."

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Is there a proper name for the type of sectional sofa where each "seat" is an individual piece? I'm thinking about getting one but all the pieces must fit through a relatively narrow doorway.

I have seen them advertised as "modular" sectionals.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Also bear in mind any other art you have in the house - you might want to stick to the same vibe, or you may want this space to be a visually-distinct focal point. If you don't want to commit to a large piece of art, consider maybe 3 or 4 smaller complementary items.

If it were my house, well that spot looks to be perfect for an oversize pop art poster. But you look like you are aiming for a more tasteful vibe.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Chevy Slyme posted:

Now that I’m actually in the new place I can take some photos of rooms that need window help and get some real suggestions soon hopefully.

BUT

Before we return to your regularly scheduled Good Design chat, I instead need help with something extremely stupid.

I want/need a rug for my home office space. Unlike the rest of the apartment where I have nice rugs, IMO the office / gamer lair should be a place for something incredibly stupid.

Unfortunately, this work of artappears to be discontinued and no longer available.

So, goons, I appeal to you. Help me find the dumbest, cheap garbage rug imaginable for my posting station. The best I’ve found so far is this one, and while I appreciate the spirit of honoring the goatman, the design doesn’t quite do it for me.

This might be a job for the Aliexpress thread.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

a primate posted:

Wasn’t sure whether to post this here or in the house thread but here goes.

We have an office with a standard sliding glass door with vertical vinyl blinds. We’re converting it to a baby room (first one for us) and I wanted to find a better solution to block out light, since the blinds are pretty terrible for that.

I’ve seen a couple options online (roller blinds, black out drapes) but I’m wondering what someone who actually knows about this stuff might suggest. I’m not exactly window-treatment savvy.

Congrats!

I feel like blackout curtains are probably going to be the simplest option (make sure they are washable for when baby learns to projectile vomit). Maybe it is just me, but I would imagine adjusting any kind of blinds to be a little more fussy than I would want to deal with while e.g. pacing with a colicky newborn. Unless you get the remote-control kind I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

adnam posted:

Let me know if I'm in the wrong place, but I'm trying to put up a bunch of asymmetric photo frames and am having issues with making sure they're exactly as far apart as I'd like. I'm thinking about purchasing those fancy laser grid projectors for this project. Are these a worthwhile investment, or something else I'm missing? Thanks!

(lmk if I'm in the wrong thread)

A non-technology option is to lay them out on a large piece of paper and trace around the frames so you can measure and adjust as needed. Then tape the paper up on the wall and poke a hole through the paper to mark where each hanger goes.