Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Why is there so much hate for accordion doors?

I'm in the process of buying a house, and (among others) the door to the furnace / water heater closet has bifold doors. Because of where it is, even bifolds take up too much space when open. There's no room for either a pocket door or barn door, and I feel like it's unsafe to have the utilities close to a curtain. I really don't want them just exposed, though.

I honestly really like accordion doors, and I think they're the right answer here, but if the whole Internet hates them then there must be a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I just moved and I'm figuring out my space. I have a 14x11 room that is both bedroom and home office.

I really like a lot of this. The 2x4 and 2x2 Expedit units give me a physical divider, but if I leave the upper cubes empty I don't lose any light from the window. I do need to keep my bathroom door closed so I don't overshare on video calls, but that's easy. I have enough space between the bed and the shelving that I don't feel claustrophobic, and I have a little 2-drawer bedside table for bedside-table stuff (and drawers are great for tidying that away).

The issue is that I've been getting back pain, and I think it's because I'm a forty-plus year old adult sleeping on a twin size bed. I don't have room to really roll over or stretch out, and there's not enough blanket to really cover me, so I wake up at 2am with cold knees.

I can solve the bedding issue by just getting larger-sized linens, and pulling the bed away from the wall will let the bedding hang down and be more evenly weighted. But that doesn't change my being physically constrained while sleeping.

I've been thinking of upgrading to a full-size bed. I don't mind losing the end table, because I can just put a drawer insert in the Expedit. But I'll lose about half of my current walking/separating floor space between bed and desk. I might hate that.

Are there solutions here that I haven't thought of, in terms of layout, and how much room does an average person need to not feel boxed in?

Edit that the image is mostly to scale; I did it in Excel (obv) and didn't think to make allowances for 6" increments until I was done. So, there's probably closer to three feet between the bed and shelving, right now, and it would drop down to less than 18ish.

Hungry Squirrel fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 4, 2023

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I didn't entirely see that plan as a good fit; I really like being able to look out the window while I work, and that setup puts the window behind me. But, it did remind me that I had no problem focusing in my last tiny space when I had my back to the "bedroom" (and the window right in front of me), which led me down a pretty great rabbit hole.

I need to measure, but what I'm thinking of now is keeping everything the same except the desk. Using some IKEA-hack-esque shenanigans, I can put the desk along the window (East) wall, extending slightly under the window. I can flip the 2x4 Expedit sideways and use it as the other desk leg extending out against the (North) wall, which means I lose use of four of the cubes into the void under the desk but I leave the other four open for whatever. It also means I need to lift the other desk leg, and my chair, up another inch to maintain ergonomics, but I'm working on that. The bed stays with the long side against the wall common to the entry door (West). It will be visible in Zoom calls, but that's ok; I look at the desk when I'm in bed, but that's also OK.

With that setup, I can get a bigger bed that may abut the end of the longways shelf, but I can put some kind of something on that end so that it can be a nightstand area that doesn't encroach on the desk area. And, it means that the whole of the chair-rolling area can also be the whole of the get-into-bed area, which is more than enough space for me.

And, if it turns out that waking up looking at my monitor becomes no-fun, I can always hang a curtain.

If I'm feeling ambitious after work today, I may try it out tonight!

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Sirotan posted:

I live in a college town and your choices for used are basically the crap college students throw to the curb when they move out, a selection from the Habitat For Humanity ReStore, or maybe lucking into an estate sale? I kept my eyes open for that last option for quite a while and never had any luck. In general I am hesitant to the idea of acquiring used upholstered furniture of unknown provenance because I never want to discover what it is like to deal with bed bugs.

I don't mean to, like, townie-splain, but keep an eye on garage sales in the fancy part of town during faculty move out season. When an admin who is on that line of affording nice things but too broke to pay to move it leaves, they practically give stuff away.