Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The different ceiling levels you can see in the photo might make for an awkward feeling if you're sitting orthogonal to the split that creates, even more if you have some people in a gathering sitting on one side and some on the other. I think it'd feel better to divide the room along that split.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tear it down.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

quote:

Could you move the wall outlet/switch here up or to the side, and place the fridge against that wall instead, would that fit?
If you can do that, you could probably add some more (semi-)permanent counter space next to the stove.

Although I see there's also a vent on that wall, maybe not the best to block that off.

You could also switch the fridge and stove around, and install a small countertop against that corner. Maybe add a cabinet or some storage for cookware above it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Which way(s) does the sun enter from during the day? That should in part dictate which way you turn the TV and seating, to avoid glare or getting blinded.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This is the furniture thread.

Post a photo of your current room, and may a sketch of the room layout. And measurements for the available space.

If board games is a big thing, consider something with a lip on the edges.

Are there any design styles you like or want to match?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Whether you'll need a transformer or just a plug converter, or even nothing, depends on so many things.

If it's an LED lamp with integrated light source, then you need to check what kind of power supply it has. It may have a switching power supply that handles anything 100-250V 50~60 Hz, or it may have a non-switching supply that requires specific voltage or frequency. The power supply may be internal or external, and if it's external it may be more or less standardized and replaceable.
In the case of a switching universal power supply, you can just use a plug converter, but if it's a fixed power supply you may need a transformer or replacing the power supply.

If it's a traditional socketed lamp, you need to be aware that the Edison screw sockets used in Europe (230 V land) are different sizes than those used in US (110 V land) and won't fit US bulbs. In that case you may need to check if the sockets can be replaced with US sockets instead, and then you can just use US bulbs and mount a US plug on the lamp cord. If you can't replace the socket, you may need to also import 230 V light bulbs and need to use a transformer as well.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cornuto posted:

For a different Ikea suggestion you might consider the trofast shelves. We had a similar set up in our kids play room and put three of them together for kind of a reading nook effect. Ours are natural wood but I think there's white (and maybe other) finishes.

Seconding Trofast as a convenient storage furniture, even outside kids' rooms. I use one with the "bucket" drawers in my entrance to store gloves etc, it's smallish footprint made it easier to fit into the narrow space than a regular "grown-up" chests of drawers.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

My immediate impression is that something abstract will be a better fit for your space, than more concrete art like classical landscapes or portraits.
Perhaps a semi-3D piece might work, like a collage.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah that's the trouble with 3D art, it tends to collect more dust.

Another option could be a large chandelier or pendant lamp, which of course have the same issue of needing to be dusted.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

When I'm suggesting a lamp it's something like these I imagine:

Louis Poulsen Lighting Cirque
(Probably around $500 a piece)

Louis Poulsen Lighting Enigma 545
(Probably around $900)

Louis Poulsen Lighting PH Artichoke
(Probably around $7000)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Have an artwork you like printed on canvas, then mount it as a drape above the TV with a cord to lift/lower it.