Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hello friends. I bought a house and expect to have a number of questions but here are the first two. I feel like I'm good at seeing when something looks good or bad but I'm awful at envisioning how something will look when it's done.

Our living room came painted a boring but acceptable slate grey. Kaiser Schnitzel mentioned the color Cooking Apple Green a bit ago and I really like the look of it. But I'm having a hard time telling if it will work in this living room. This window is kind of the focus of the room so I painted it there as a sample (forgive the tape in one of the shots). I imagine it might be hard to really tell from photos but here's hoping.

Second question: my wife and I both have a preference for naturalistic aesthetics. Plants, wood, etc. We've always dreamed of a live-edge or otherwise natural wood looking dining room table. But we also have hardwood floors in the dining room, which I find very lovely btw. Does a natural wood looking table clash with hardwood floors, or can it work?
Here is the dining area with current temporary table. Forgive the moving mess on the counter. Also worth noting that this is contiguous with the living room above, so it would take whatever color goes in the living room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’m biased but I think the color looks nice. More interesting than the grey but not overwhelming. Put a rug down and get whatever table you like imo. I think you’d have better luck with a warmer wood like cherry, mahogany, maybe maple than a cooler wood like oak. Walnut can be very warm with age but American black walnut starts off a little dark and green is going to make it darker. I have a client with an oiled cherry sideboard in front of that exact color and it looks great.

Hmm I think a lot of what's available out here for a live edge slab is firs and cedars.

e: hmm looks like plenty of hardwood available around here after all, as well as redwood :confuoot:

alnilam fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 4, 2021

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

As was said, you can also do faux-wood laminate flooring, which can be perfectly fine. However, we recently got a quote for replacing wall-to-wall carpeting with something else, and I was shocked how little cost it added to go full real-rear end wood over nice laminate. So much of the cost is demo and surface prep that real wood was about 30% more - I had been expecting like, double. We went with wood and I'm super happy with our new red oak floors.

The best people to talk to are flooring contractors. Get several quotes and try to find reviews / talk to them and see if they seem like they know their stuff. Hardwood people usually also do other kinds of flooring, so ask for a quote for wood vs a few different tiers of laminate.

Also re: staining, the person who did my floor (who was a veritable wood flooring geek, it was nice to see someone so excited about his work) said he steers people away from staining because over time it will show a lot more damage than a clearcoat, and is much harder to refinish too. Fine for furniture, not so great for a floor people walk on. Clear-coated oak is gorgeous anyway.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I don't recall exactly, I just thought it would be like, demo and laminate install: 4k, demo and hardwood install: 10k. Instead it was like, laminate 5k, wood 7k. Two grand is nothing to shake a stick at, but it was a lot more attainable than I thought, so we sprang for wood.

I guess my overall point is, don't assume that hardwood flooring is totally out of reach, as I nearly did; get estimates for both and evaluate what you want and what you want to spend.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Are any of those surfaces safe to clean via wet mop, and/or Murphy's Oil Soap?

You can definitely mop both laminate and hardwood IME, you just want to use a damp / very well-squeezed mop to avoid pools of water.

Hardwood cleans best with just water with a splash of vinegar IME. My hardwood floor guy, who was a huge wood geek, says murphy's is BS, for floors at least.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm going to be :evilbuddy: and post an exterior design question :hehe:

We are going to put up a screen door - a classic 5-bar wooden framed one. Gotta paint it cause it's unfinished. I happen to like bright fun colors for doors anyway, so I'd also like to paint over our currently black exterior door while I'm at it.

Should I paint them the same color? Or different?
Points in favor of same color:
Screen will block some of the color of the door behind, so that might be an argument to double up on the color
Cost of paint - if i go with two separate colors I will end up with two mostly full cans of exterior paint

Point in favor of different colors: could pick a nice color pair to make for a cool accent color kinda thing. Could match the door frame trim to the screen door or something.

It's just hard to visualize /imagine what it will look like, with the screen partially blocking the door behind it and all

Anyone have experience with this and thoughts on how it turns out?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

yeah that's a good point, I can always buy another can but i can't un-buy one if I start with 2 colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I was gonna say, that wall paint looks beautiful for being 30 years old