Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Hello all, Queen Victorian pointed me to this thread based on a post I made in the home ownership thread. I've quoted the post below.

She seemed to have some criticism of the kitchen pictured, but didn't go into them there. Realize I'm a complete newbie at design and decoration, so be gentle with me.

Search for "terracotta tile floor" - you'll get loads of images, and almost all of them will have similar colours to that flooring while being a lot more attractive. You might also find that getting a butcherblock countertop fits the rest of the styling better, and even if you don't want the hassle/cost, consider getting a stone style one with much subtler patterning, almost plain white.

The backsplash is also pretty ugly imo - white tiles or ones which match the cupboards might end up looking better.

I don't love this photo (rug under the sink lol), but IMO the simpler, white backsplash and countertop work much better with the dark cupboards and floors:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The wall in the picture has a very "solid" look - it might even have the same construction as yours, with pillars + paneling, but the design makes it looks as though it has depth all the way along. I think that's fairly important to its contribution to the room, it might all feel a bit flimsy otherwise.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Fridge position is also not great in the first one, it's so big. 3 looks great to me, although are you sure you want your sink right next to the fridge? It can be nice to have space on both sides. idk how to solve the floor situation though.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

peanut posted:

Most wet rooms here :japan: are prefab panel units that get installed in a single morning. Pretty foolproof.

I'd swear Japan is like 20 years more advanced than the rest of the world when it comes to all aspects of bathroom technology

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

We've got "raw" (IE light but not whitened) oak coloured floor and have just ordered a similar coloured table. Most of the photos I've seen with similar combinations online then have fabric or white chairs, which looks great, e.g.

However we have some existing wooden chairs which are the same sort of wood as the table. The chairs aren't great quality but too new to get rid of yet - any ideas for breaking up the wood? Ideas so far are white seat cushions (I like this one) or a table runner (not so sure). Like in the photo above it's right by some big windows with white walls.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Seconding the rug coverage requirements sound really weird, although I can believe that they exist over in the land of freedom :911:

Does anyone have a particular brand of anti scratch pads for wooden chair feet/wood floors? I keep buying the 3M ones from the hardware store and they always slip + any dust sticks to them. I don't think it helps that the feet aren't flat (never cheap out on dining chairs! these ones creak as well, entirely looks over construction quality).

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

peanut posted:

Chair socks.

I thought this was a joke but they're real. Looks perfect thanks!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Agree on not putting a traditional painting or similar there, it's so high up that I think it would be weird. Idk what a modern equivalent of a hunting trophy is but that's the sort of thing that would fit there

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Not exactly what you're looking for but when I first started living somewhere with exterior shutters they were a game changer, I'm never going back. Great light exclusion and temperature control and if the house is an appropriate style they look good too. Fancy ones can also perform a privacy function while letting light in but they're probably $$$$

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Note putting the sectional in the middle might require a higher budget one, lots of cheap ones have really ugly backs

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

X posting this here:

Any comments or opinions on the new color scheme I'm thinking about for my 1920s Craftsmanish house? Basically every other house I've seen locally has white or tan trim, but I am considering something darker that hopefully wont show as much mold/grime/mildew, and just for a different look.

Ignore my extremely lovely paint job, a highly trained and skilled and definitely not drunk painter will do the real thing.
Existing:

Proposed new:

Body: SW 2851 Sage Green Light
Trim: SW 2846 Roycroft Bronze Green
Window sashes/Doors/Shutters: SW 6994 Greenblack

One question I have is if I should do the eaves/soffet in the body color or the trim color like they are now. I would definitely do the fascia and raftertails in the darker green trim color. I guess maybe doing the rafters and roof deck boards different colors might be a huge pain in the rear end.

I also don't think I like the Greenblack. I think I'd do a darker, blacker black and probably in a gloss instead of satin like everything else.

I'd be a bit worried about going with a body colour darker than your current one with a trim colour that dark. The darkest body colours that I can find online which look good with dark trim are brick houses, which is obviously a different thing entirely. Try and find some reference pictures for what you're going for maybe?

I do like both your new colours on their own though.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

We got a The Frame since they were 50% off and for that price it's good (paying mrsp seems pretty bad), the slim fit on the wall is great. I would say that the viewing angles aren't amazing which is something to consider if it's something that people would be approaching from a tight angle.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I really don't understand the all grey trend. It so often looks like such a bad combination of try hard and tacky

This should be the done to death easy mode interior design colour palette instead, it is just nicer to be around:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

smoobles posted:

Real question: what kind of colors would you go for in a bright, creative workspace? I feel like yellows or greens make sense.

imo it's not so much the specific colours that matter (see any number of brightly coloured but otherwise plasticy 2000s offices) but the quality of the lighting and furnishings. A nice worksurface that is sufficiently large to feel uncluttered, orientated to maximise natural light. Some small number of decorative features that match the personal preferences of whoever is going to be working there. Plants make a big difference!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I don't think that it's reasonable to expect people not to buy cheap furniture, wages and costs for the sort of skilled labour that is required for traditional furniture making have gone up so much in the west relative to productivity in other areas that more than one or so piece is unattainable unless you're at like 95% of income/wealth. (This is an example of baumol's cost disease I think)

You can still find good durability/design/price tradeoffs I think but it requires an awful lot of time (or going to IKEA, which is their magic trick - it's cheap but not a rip off). People talk about buying used but it's incredibly time consuming, I've spent ages in the local equivalent of estate sales and unless you're hooked up with the operators you won't get any of the good stuff for cheap. Local Craigslist has been better for me (got a decent sofa and TV cabinet for cheap).

In the end the thing that I think has had the best results when buying new has been spending lots of time visiting furniture shops and trying their stuff, then sticking with the brands that have held up. This can include "cheap" imported stuff if it seems like the stuff you've bought from them before actually had some quality control.

We ended up splurging on a couple of key items (e.g. dining room table) even so.

Brands/vendors I've found have good quality ratios:
The Futon Company (idk about the beds, accessory shelving has held up well)
sits.eu (can't recommend them strongly enough)
IKEA
Heals
Local furniture shop

Ok:
West Elm (furniture only is just about ok, accessories are really pricey for what they are)

Bad:
Made.com (rip)
la redoute (local department store)

distortion park fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

Now excuse me while I move clean clothing from my bed to my recliner and back after I sleep.

Going to need a couple of spray paint cans for that. jk