Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Going to drop a warning to never buy furniture from Inside Weather. We purchased a Bondi Sofa back in May that just arrived and it's the worst couch I've ever seen. Its worse than dorm futons and cost $2,700 usd. If you return it within 14 days you can get back your money minus 15% of the non-discount price as an 'environmental fee' so best case scenario we are out like $500.

You basically get the wish.com version of what they advertise on their site.

E: Oh also their return strategy is for us to warehouse the couch in our house for 2-3 weeks while they resell it at a markdown to someone else. Then they will schedule a truck to come get it. :wtc:

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

KillHour posted:

Couch finally came in

Can I ask where you bought it from? I'm 6'6" with linebacker shoulders and also like to lay down on couches but usually end up with one shoulder hanging off the edge -- which is a big reason why I originally went with that Bondi couch because it was crazy deep. Or if there's any suggests for well-built super deep couches that fit a Scandi style.

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 8, 2022

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
I feel like the ultimate red bathroom has already been done and can't be improved.

https://twitter.com/KateLibc/status/1100753300465508353

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Thinking of pulling the trigger on this rocker+ottoman, but hesitant as it looks like they consider all furniture purchases final sale only and non-returnable. Anyone have experience with this site or suggestions.

https://www.madetrade.com/products/masaya-co-wood-pattern-manila-ottoman-san-geronimo

e: Did some google searching and looks like I can order this direct from manufacturer who actually does have a return policy: https://www.masayacompany.com

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 9, 2022

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Like the floor tile, paint, and metal accents.

Only real complaint is that I wish the wood color and style of the vanity and cabinet matched the trim.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Tom Tucker posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for an inexpensive / comfy sofa appropriate for a basement TV room? I'd go with a simple IKEA but none are available within 1,000 miles so I'm trying to find something else without getting gouged. Should I just hit the furniture stores near me?

Amazon Brand – Stone & Beam Bradbury Chesterfield Tufted Sofa Couch, 92.9"W, Navy https://a.co/d/2i5i6Z8

We bought this during prime day for like $700.00 and so far it's great for the price.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

hypnophant posted:

Wallpaper (whether actually paper or fabric, which I don’t understand how it’s functionally any different than paper) gets my vote. Anything very modern will clash with the nice wood trim imo, which rules out shadow lines, 3d tiles, or wood panels. Stick with what’s period-appropriate. Panels would arguably be ok too, but I think they’d look a little out-of-place if you only do the stairway. You can do a chair rail with wallpaper above and panels below if you think the full wallpaper wall would be too much (like in a bunch of pictures here). It’s a classic look, and you can diy it on the cheap if you’re reasonably handy and own a miter saw.

Definitely also replace the boob light! That’s on the list right? Wall sconces would be an excellent choice which would also help add some texture, though maybe only at the bottom of the stairs since I don’t think that window leaves you enough room for one at the top landing.

Agree with all of this. We did the split chair rail look years ago in out first house (minus the wallpaper) and were very happy with it.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

For a different Ikea suggestion you might consider the trofast shelves. We had a similar set up in our kids play room and put three of them together for kind of a reading nook effect. Ours are natural wood but I think there's white (and maybe other) finishes.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/cat/trofast-toy-storage-series-19027/

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 9, 2023

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Freaquency posted:

I think he’s more looking for something like a cigar bar/room aesthetic:

e: i think you’re going to need to be clearer on what, specifically, you want to see “updated” with this style. Do you want to get rid of some of the ornate touches like the brass rivets in the armchairs? The edge profile of things like counters? Do you want to go with a big overstuffed leather armchair or something like a Scandi-style small armchair?

I will say that I think you’ll have a hard time finding images that fit this style because the type of people who are into it really lean into it hard. I think you might be better off looking at those images of organic modern that you mentioned and seeing where you can fit in some details that call back to the style you’re looking for, rather than trying to design “speakeasy, but in 2023”.

I think this is just called Old World style , no?

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
They're also super lovely in my experience. Try to test before you buy.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
We bought an inside weather Bondi and each seat was basically a square plywood frame with legs and seatbelt webbing over the top. Then you clamped them together and put a giant square cushion on the top that just sat there unattached. If you ever put your weight on the edge of a cushion it just sank straight to the frame. Was the dumbest most uncomfortable couch I've ever sat on and the company was real scummy about returns despite advertising their satisfaction guaranty. You had to pay an 'environmental fee' which in small print they base off a portion on the non discounted price but always sold them at like half off... It ended up costing over $500 to return it.

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 2, 2023

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but has anyone here purchased black flatware before? If so does the finish last, and do you recommend any specific brand?

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
We did a Lori wall bed when we needed to swap our guest bedroom into a home office that can sometimes be used as a guest bedroom. Might check them out and see if they suit what you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
I'm 6'6" with linebacker shoulders (52L sport coat). I'm looking for a couch that is long enough and deep enough that I can lie down on it and my shoulders don't hang off the edge. Would love something modern/scandi that actually comfortable and well built enough that can take the abuse of young kids in the house. Any suggestions on brands, stores, websites would be appreciated.