Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Has anyone here ever hid their living room TV behind sliding art panels?

I'm moving to a new place where it won't really be feasible to have a separate home theater anymore, but I am 100% against having an obvious TV in the middle of the living room. The solution I thought up was to get a super thin wall-mounted TV and place two sliding art pieces (or maybe one huge art piece!) in front of it, which I can just slide out of the way when I want to use the TV. Selling off my separate home theater gear will conveniently help to pay this off.

These Media Decor Art Lifts look like the perfect solution but they are $8,750. They are automatic and silent and fancy and I don't need all that, I'm happy just pushing it out of the way manually. Also I would pick some art that isn't godawful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yeah but like, if you're in the room, the TV is on no matter what. Also for obvious reasons it's an LCD not an OLED, but there you are paying a shitload for a non-OLED.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Depends on how brave you are

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

have you considered gray? or possibly...grey? we also offer gray

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

don't be afraid to experiment! (with grey)

the first question you should ask yourself is "what type of feeling do you want to create in your space?" (as long as that feeling is grey)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I wish I could help you with your query, but just wanted to say I used to live in a place with that exact same vibe and loving loved it. It's one of the only design trends since MCM that still holds up very well.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Anyone ever purchased one of these cheap chandeliers off AliExpress? Like this one. They are being resold at higher prices by tons of pop-up ecommerce storefronts, including this one that claims they are "handmade by a local lighting atelier in Coral Gables". Gotta love a good old fashioned fraud.

I don't mind if they're cheap and flimsy if they look good and won't set my house on fire

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Has anyone here ever hid their living room TV behind sliding art panels?

I'm moving to a new place where it won't really be feasible to have a separate home theater anymore, but I am 100% against having an obvious TV in the middle of the living room. The solution I thought up was to get a super thin wall-mounted TV and place two sliding art pieces (or maybe one huge art piece!) in front of it, which I can just slide out of the way when I want to use the TV. Selling off my separate home theater gear will conveniently help to pay this off.

These Media Decor Art Lifts look like the perfect solution but they are $8,750. They are automatic and silent and fancy and I don't need all that, I'm happy just pushing it out of the way manually. Also I would pick some art that isn't godawful.
A little update on my plan for this.

Since I'm mounting a 77" TV, I figure a single panel is probably not feasible in the space. I started thinking about a diptych - two panels sliding apart - which would be perfect, but there's not much in the way of diptyches I can find online that I feel like are worth printing and hanging up in this way.

My new thought is to hang a triptych, but to split it unevenly into two panels. Like this (although not this specific work):

Is this very dumb?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Cornuto posted:

I'm 6'6" with linebacker shoulders (52L sport coat). I'm looking for a couch that is long enough and deep enough that I can lie down on it and my shoulders don't hang off the edge. Would love something modern/scandi that actually comfortable and well built enough that can take the abuse of young kids in the house. Any suggestions on brands, stores, websites would be appreciated.
I’m built the same way you are. Restoration Hardware Maxwell Luxe Depth. I just had to sell mine because it wouldn’t fit up the stairs in my new condo, but you can get amazing deals on these on facebook / craigslist.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Dessel posted:

But where do I even start to find a taste?
Spend time on Google Arts and Culture, or better yet, go to used bookstores and buy some coffee table books of art. Give yourself time with this, learn about art, find what you like and what you don't, then go on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist and search "framed" and buy some exhibition posters or prints.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Jesus, why don't more people just buy used? It's the best choice for the environment and you get much better stuff at a lower price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

That’s true, but if you haven’t noticed, everything is expensive as poo poo and people are being laid off left and right. Seven years ago you could get a $150 new Ikea dresser or you could get a $50 dresser from 1920 or 1950. Now that vintage dresser is probably going to be flipped, which means having its curves cut off, its pulls replaced, and being spraypainted or paint washed, for $500+. Or an unflipped vintage dresser for $200 if you can somehow beat all the flippers to it. Or the Ikea dresser for $200.

I’m sure a $1k dresser is great, but for a lot of people, it’s not realistic to spend your rent on a dresser.
You can absolutely still get deals like this. I do it all the time. The caveats are that (1) you have to live in a major metro area where people have taste; and (2) make Facebook Marketplace your default pooping game.