Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
How do you guys handle displaying collectibles/decorative items in your homes? It's a question that's been bugging me as I've been decluttering my stuff too. I'm slightly afraid of having too many knicknack level things in any future house of mine, or that I'll just be left with a core group of very disparate and jumbled items shoehorned on a shelf somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

Is it artwork or are we talking about video game memorabilia and fake Star Trek props?

Both, though I'm primarily concerned about the overt nerd poo poo. I've got things ranging from paperweights, plushies, other glassware, to anime figures, a pair of kokeshi dolls, a replica pokeball, and a 1930s box camera. I've tried having some boxed Kirby games on display but I didn't really like the look and packed them back into the closet. And I've definitely decided against the wall of shelved manga/video games look seen in so many youtube video backgrounds, so it'd likely be cabinets or other closed storage for that.

actionjackson posted:

I don't collect anything nor have anything decorative, but I think the same process as I mentioned a few posts ago, first declutter (sounds like you have already done that), then make sure you want them displayed vs. in some sort of storage unit. If you want to display them, a bookcase or a storage unit with glass doors to avoid dust is a decent idea. you could also intersperse the items with other things like books instead of just having one cluster, or maybe rotate what is on display at any given time

It's also a good idea to just understand what you want to get out of collecting or displaying things. I vaguely remember when my grandfather passed away, when we cleaned his house he had a wall of old beer cans on display for (????)

This perspective definitely helps, thanks! It's good to have an outside reminder that much of my collecting is not focused enough: I have a tendency to buy things that look cool in a given moment. I'm betting that's why I have such a wide range of things, and why I'm having such trouble with objects I've grown lukewarm about.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Believe me I keep going over all the decluttering tips online repeatedly to stay motivated and have cut out most of my fun spending as having the bigger goal of buying a house in the near future has finally been the thing to motivate me to budget. It's only in the past couple of years that I've come to realize the value of a curated collection, that I do not have time to play all the video games and watch all the movies, and that speculator mentality on collectibles is dangerous and wrong. The crux of the issue is I feel that I am inadequate at decluttering because:

BigFactory posted:

Sell it all on eBay and buy one thing with the money

I cannot do this. I can not sell everything cold turkey and start fresh. I've thought about it a ton, sure, but then I've thought about everything I've rebought because I was too hasty in getting rid of it in the first time. I do get rid of things and have gotten serious about it this year but its a steady trickle of stuff leaving the house not the massive hauls of 6+ bags to goodwill. I know you shouldn't compare yourself to others, but it feels wrong when it takes you two years to go from 600 video games to 200 and counting.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
The budget's tighter now only because I'm staring down a large purchase, and I'm sick of wasting money in general. The other reason I'm keeping a steady trickle of items going out is I don't want them sitting around long enough for me to have second thoughts, nor do I want it sitting around because I can "totally sell" it at some point in the future. I have a coworker who has bins and bins of poo poo at his house because his girlfriend insists she's going to have a garage sale. This has been going on for like 4 years, and once again this year she's been talking like this will finally be the year that she does it. I'm not holding my breath on it.

I've been selling poo poo locally at the moment at a loss because it gets it gone and I get something back. I don't have to devote the time to photographing, description writing, packing, and post office runs like you do with ebay, I did all that for a few years and it was starting to get tiresome. Nor do I have to worry as much about hitting the new tax limit by selling online this year or trust ebay with my SSN (maybe I'm just being a paranoid bitch on that last point). What's really helped with accepting the "loss" is an idea I ran across on one of the endless decluttering tips articles: it's the thought that the money was wasted the moment I bought the item and is gone already. At any rate I did just come back from selling some more media to local shops and am perfectly satisfied with the $200 I got.

Though I did gently caress up attempting to flog 90% of my camera collection in SA mart; I guess there aren't as many goons interested in vintage cameras as I thought. Next week I'll try one of the "looking to buy x" guys on craigslist and if they don't take 'em they're just going to goodwill, I am done.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

No, no I did not. Thanks!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

actionjackson posted:

yeah i meant to imply with some exceptions, but in the scope of all the things you could have in your home to get rid of, a very small percentage will be in this category

definitely if you have something that is more rare and in high demand then don't give it away!

don't forget about the people who spend each weekend looking for garage sales, as if it's a sporting event, to just add more and more poo poo to their home

This is very anecdotal but I have heard that all the stuff in your house is worth roughly 5k on the average, and some of that depends if you have a big ticket item like a car or riding lawnmower. It came through the grapevine from an owner/operator of an estate sale company, I believe some friend of ours was looking into having a sale after their mother died. I'm not suprised at the figure tbh.

And most of the hot games I had I sold already on ebay/the forums. The retro game market is something I know fairly well after a decade of collecting and some poo poo is a hard sell even there, and that's most of what's left outside of the poo poo I refuse to part with yet. Ain't nobody buying Atari, Vectrex, or obscure Japanese games. There is an upside: if you told me like five years ago that I'd be selling my precious childhood games I wouldn't have believed you and swore I was never gonna sell them.

Also yes coworker's girlfriend is an odd duck in general. I don't think it's quite hoarding I think it's that she's someone who thinks all her junk is ~*valuable*~ and won't let it go for less. I've known other people like that and they tend to sit on the stuff because no one will give them the price they want. Or they're feeling charitable and give it/will it to you thinking they're doing you a favor. I've been gifted many things from relatives who impressed into kid me that the item was oh so valuable and to take care of it. Years later the few of these items that have hung around weren't worth jack poo poo: I think they just wanted young me to appreciate it or not destroy it.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Tag yourself: I'm the Santa Claus figure on a shelf of Asian items. But in all seriousness one of the best bits of advice from all the decluttering and minimalist articles is just pointing out that you do not have to be the keeper of the family heirlooms if you don't want to be. Ask around if any other family member really wants something from grandma's Asian collection then don't feel guilty about getting rid of it and only keeping a piece or two you like/has meaning to you.

I'm in a little bit of the same boat only my relative is being proactive and giving me all her tchotchkes before she passes to be sure I get them. What I thought was cool when I was 10 I no longer like at 32, so I've been quietly disappearing most objects straight from storage to goodwill. I dread the next round of it though, she wants me to make the drive up to pick up the rest. Previously some items had broken in the mail on the way down to me is why, and I'm brushing up against the limits of using covid as an excuse to avoid the trip.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oof, yeah I agree most of the items will have to be put away for a year or two until the emotions settle down. We're only just getting to the real sensitive items of my grandmother after she passed two years ago. It's amazing which items you totally forget about while in storage and which ones bring back the good memories and associations when you dig them out again.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Somehow I'm not suprised the Queen Anne style of furniture is super out of fashion, the sort of similar Victorian stuff is as well. Just ask my parents who hung on to their 1980s reproduction Victorian living room set a little too long and missed the steampunk craze by a year or two. We wound up just giving it away to a family the neighbors knew that apparently desperately needed any furniture period. It was at least super appreciated by the family, there were apparently literal tears of joy upon arrival of the set.

Speaking of cleaning out is there a thread or any need of a thread for decluttering? I'm in a bit of an ebb at the moment and could use some commiseration/motivational speeches to get back on the band wagon I've half fallen off of.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Queen Victorian posted:

I could use a thread like that. In the meantime, watching a couple episodes of Hoarders might help (speaking of which, I should watch a couple episodes of Hoarders).

I have seen Hoarders, though I don't know how much help it would be after reading every decluttering tips blog and article and third hand osmosis absorbing some of Marie Kondo's and other minimalists' philosophies. I even looked at a freaking declutter subreddit, as slow moving as it is. It feels like I'm spinning my wheels about the harder stuff to part with but whining about it here at least jogged my memory that I did see two boxes of silhouettes in the back of an over stuffed closet that need to go. They were the first round of a relative's collection that she shoved off on to me as gifts and I didn't really want them but couldn't say no at the time. I had a quick look, and I think by the end of the week I'll be stacking them in the donate box.

I am piss terrible at writing OPs and starting threads though. :shrug:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Queen Victorian posted:

Ohhhh, I suggested Hoarders as more of a means of lighting a fire under your rear end to go do some cleaning and decluttering right loving now rather than insight on decluttering methods. Sorry, I'm definitely not operating at 100% today.

As for methods of decluttering, I've been meaning to get into Marie Kondo because she seems to have the only popular method that doesn't have a "purge" mentality, which stress me out thanks to negative childhood experiences around purging. Also she has a really nice feather duster on her website that I've been meaning to buy...

Eh I'm not on the ball today either; I've been stumbling around in the attachments/guilt/will I really miss this/it's too expensive to rebuy etc. loop that everyone I think falls into at one time or another doing this. Which is why I'm glad I stumbled upon something that's easy for me to send out the door today. And FWIW I never read Kondo's book or saw the Netflix show, just gleaned enough from google and a couple free video demos of her clothes folding techniques, very handy if you need to compact clothes.

Overall I've found the idea of only keeping or buying things that serve a purpose and holding out for the items you really want to be the most useful tactics in dealing with my stuff; heck half of that is the underlying idea behind minimalism as a lifestyle. Doesn't help too much with the attachments though, and it still takes me a bit to come to terms with my purchasing mistakes. I will also probably never have all the flat surfaces in my house completely free of items either.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

amethystbliss posted:

I like the strategy of putting stuff you're not quite ready to part with into a bin and stashing it away in a garage/basement/closet. Mark your calendar and if you don't touch it for 6 months, then you know you don't actually need it and were never going to rebuy it.

If only I had the storage space to do that, lol. I keep stumbling into the forgotten poo poo in the closets etc, but it's not all my poo poo, so I can't just get rid of the things that aren't mine. The full disclosure is that yes, I am still living with my parents, but have more concrete plans to be buying my own house and moving in the next 1 to 2 years. It's why I decided to dip into the interior design threads to get ideas on how to furnish a house and tie things together visually since I already own a wide range of disparate things.

I'm still decluttering my poo poo now because I know I have excess crap squirreled away that's not worth the effort to move and it gives me extra time to sort it out. I've even sold some stuff that was worthwhile to do so because a little bit of extra cash never hurt.

The other part is it gives me a chance to start cultivating good spending habits because I have had a tendency in the past to settle for the "good enough" and stop gap items now, over waiting for what I really want. It's why that part of minimalism appeals to me, but I agree that those going overboard on it can be insufferable; especially if they have a vested interest in selling you on the idea.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That sucks ZombieCrew, sorry to hear that. I've got the luxury of being able to chip away at it in tiny pieces, and it does work, it just takes a really long time. And hey all my complaining got me to clean out some comic books today, and I got like a foot of shelf space back in a cabinet. Which was promptly filled with books that weren't properly stacked in there but I can see what everything is now!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Well, at least a hurricane didn't hit the factory down south and destroy the last chair to complete the new living room set, that happened to my parents. It's some sort of flex steel set I think?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Head Bee Guy posted:

I hate my current couch so much I’m debating just replacing it with tatami mats, or something similar. My roommate and I already sit on the floor a lot (yoga mats over hardwood), and I’m curious about committing to the life style.

Anyone tried this before? any horror stories?

I haven't but I've zinged through the minimalism reddit enough to see the counter arguments, which are what about your guests, and how old are your guests? Elderly parents will not want to get down and up from the floor. As long as you have a solution for visitors I'd say you do you.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That is a pinkish LED and not just white reflecting off a dusty rose wall? Huh.

I've got no advice, this just reminds me that I've see the opposite done where a colored glass table top or similar is back lit with LEDs to make a fake rosette window.

Edit: I'm assuming with the wood piece there has something in the middle to raise it off the wall slightly with a line of LEDs around the back edge pointed at the wall. The LEDs would be recessed enough on the back that the outside diameter would hide them. If none of this makes sense I can draw a thing in mspaint like way later tonight.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 3, 2022

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That's about what I would have drawn. I might consider a shallow edge around the outside diameter, making it like a tray you're mounting backwards to the wall to help direct the light back to the wall instead of out. Might have to experiment with a light inside of a bowl or a small cardboard and tape mockup to see which is the best way to point the light and how raised off the wall it should be etc.

Edit: I wonder if the back of the wood needs to be painted white to assist light reflection? I'm probably over thinking it at this point.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 3, 2022

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Snowy posted:

I need to find blinds for my bedroom window, the building across the street installed intense exterior lights that fill the place with insanely bright blue light.

The window is oddly shaped, it’s 47” wide and 61” high. I was thinking Venetian/mini blinds would be easy to use, I could just reach over from bed to open and close them, ideally. It would be nice not to have to raise an entire shade to be able to get some light.

I’m open to other suggestions and if anyone has a good source for blinds or shades that would fit that window, I could use it.

I assume the closing and opening from the bed rules out room darkening cellular shades? You can get ones that have an extra horizontal bar in the middle that you pull up for darkening and down for a sheer.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Snowy posted:

The last time I looked at them they seemed very reasonably priced for smaller windows and stupidly expensive for larger ones, so I had written them off but I’ll take another look, thanks. I also didn’t know about that multi layer thing, it sounds cool

I ripped this image off of blinds.com for a quick example if it helps to see one. And you can get black out fabrics for the bottom part too. Again, I have never used the website (this is not an endorsement) they were just the fastest way I could find an example pic.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Any art fairs or colleges/student galleries nearby? Student and amateur work is often cheaper and something may speak to you there. And you get to be smug about buying local and supporting an independent artist.

Ive also put framed stuff from the thrift store/flea market on the walls before, but again it's luck of the draw to find something you like enough to display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Usually when I find cool vintage furniture it's either too big for the space I'd want to put it in or that same far too beat to poo poo and scraped up condtion. I still go look at architectural salvage places once in a while, though with the vain hope of finding something.