Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Mystery object time!
Does anyone know what these two wooden objects might be?

Each wooden ball has a circular indentation like an extremely shallow tea light, and also a hole big enough to fit the dowel end. They are about 8 inches long and marked Made in Denmark. I think they are decorative objects, which is why I’m posting in this thread, but they could be toys or some kind of tool (sewing tool?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
I have an antique woven coverlet from the mid-1800s hung on the wall of a similar landing. If you have the space on the wall I would consider it - you would get texture and color from something the original owners possibly had.

Coverlets like the ones here: http://www.coverletmuseum.org/coverlet.htm

They’re pretty reasonably priced for what they are. The one caveat would be if you get a lot of sun through the window that would fade the coverlet.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
If you haven’t already, look up Aesthetic Movement and Arts and Craft Movement for interior design. An 1880 house* with that trim is the perfect time to get some William Morris wallpaper! I have zero experience with the starch glued fabric, but it feels like it will last 5 years rather than 20. Maybe that’s good enough?

*actual period-accurate rather than period-appropriate may technically be like sickly green lead paint or colonial scene wallpaper. I think there are some real experts in here if you wanted to get into that

ohhyeah fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 9, 2022

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

Comrade Gritty posted:

We're considering #5 for the floors, #1 for the bottom 2/3, and then #6 for the accent, but we're hesitant to do that because it feels like #5 and #6 together might also be different styles?

My vote is something like this. You’re staying in the long rectangle, dark to light theme. Maybe it’s different in person, but 5 and 6 look fine in the same vicinity. I think 5 as the floor will just disappear visually when it’s all done.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Are there sites where you can get large paintings or prints in like a $800-1000 range? Feels like the OP should just go to Wayfair, World Market, etc and get something for $200 if they want to shop online.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
If you put some tall vases up there, sculpture, etc. it will reduce the amount of space you need to fill. It could also let you go bolder with the artwork because the objects clutter the space a bit and the contrast won’t be so stark visually.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
We have a sleeper sofa downstairs and it works well for our needs (occasional guests). The downsides are: it was really heavy/bulky, the mattress is only fine, and the couch part is only fine.

morestuff posted:

Any other ideas for maximizing that space while keeping it flexible?

One lesson we learned (which should have been obvious in retrospect) is that if you fill up the spare room with chairs, tables, other furniture, exercise equipment, plants, or general other clutter; when the time comes to use it as a bedroom all that other stuff needs to actually GO some place so guests can have some space.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

MetaJew posted:

TL;DR: I think that I want some sort of long, low built in cabinets around the TV space, along with another cabinet + book/display shelves on the right. How do I figure out what will look good here and what to do?

Don’t take this the wrong way, but uh what’s the problem? It sounds like you’ve got a decent handle on what to do. I’m not getting why you can’t do the BDI unit plus shelves (too long?) or the Room and Board thing.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Someone else will have to help with expensive furniture but I have Ikea recommendations.

An easy single bookshelf would be like a HEMNES in black+wood. Or pair the BDI console with some ladder shelves from the same company.

However for some reason I’m seeing a sideboard plus floating shelves. I wouldn’t want to compete with the BDI console’s wood so a non-wood look BESTA, or maybe you like the metal FJALLBO. Floating shelves are whatever, BERGSHULT has a bunch of options, but we have some EKET cubes that look good.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

MetaJew posted:

We installed a Besta entertainment center/system at my mom's house and while it's not unattractive, I was disappointed in the sturdiness of the cabinets versus the SEKTION kitchen cabinets. I think they also would not fit most stereos/receivers so that ruled them out for my purposes.

Huh? I thought all the media stuff was going in the BDI media console. I was just giving ideas for furniture to go next to it. If you have specific requirements maybe you should go to the audiophile threads. Or BDI has a dedicated audio tower in that collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Was at the home goods store this weekend and was thinking - I see a lot about the perils of modern “fast fashion”, but I don’t see the same thing about “fast… home decor”? There’s this huge variety of cheap stuff in all kinds of different materials. I don’t really have a specific question, just wondering if people have any insight/readings?