Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Good morning, I'm going to cross post this into the wood working thread too so pardon the double post.

As all of you are aware since you've been waiting with baited breath for me to post updates, I'm building a bar.

The bar itself is done, picture this but the kick plate is in.

So now I'm dealing with the rest of the room.

I was originally going to put in a high top, but I realized I have a card table in the basement that would work pretty well with the room.

The issue I have is that it isn't *that* nice. So my question is do I ship of thesus this card table? I like the shape, I like the insert, I like the trays and the cup holders, but I don't like the finish of the wood and I hate the legs.

I have no idea what the wood is, but there's not much character to it, so even sanding and re-staining wouldn't do much. Do I go buy some nice walnut (I'm thinking with everything else in the room being oak, it would be too much to do the table in oak too) and remake it to be nicer? (and buy chairs to match?)

Other wood species? new legs and just paint it?

Edit:
Here's what the legs look like, they fold up and you can see the hinges. It also just looks kind of like it's on stilts, I'd want something sturdier looking

Edit 2
I brought the table upstairs here’s the room.

https://i.imgur.com/km5SLFO_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I personally like the first one too because it highlights the wall you’ll see as soon as you open the door.

Is the floating bench going to be tiled as well? If so maybe see what that would look like in the white tile. It might look like poo poo or it might pop out and look good.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

GoreJess posted:

I like the tile on the back wall. From a practical perspective, the shower will need to be tiled anyways, so it would make sense to tile the back wall. Otherwise, you’d have one tile on the sink wall & then something else in the shower.

I’m pretty sure the other walls will just be the off white tile.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

peanut posted:

Do those tiles have a 1:2 ratio? You could do 2 vertical, 2 horizontal, in a checkboard pattern (like a loss edit, see below) or fat herringbone.

川三川三
三川三川
川三川三

That's often called a basket weave pattern.

actionjackson posted:

don't think I want to do a regular grid pattern, any thought on 1/2 offset vs. 1/3? The bathroom is pretty small and the tiles are 12x24". It seems like the visual effect of the 1/3 might not really be that noticeable in such a small space though (the sort of "ladder" of vertical lines as you look across horizontally).

Most tile companies will say to use a maximum 1/3 offset.
The reason is that the tiles often "cup" as they cool, creating (usually) a high point at the center and a low point at the corners. The easiest way to tell is to put them back to back and hold it up to the light edge wise to see if you can see daylight.

If you set a 50% running bond, you're creating the worst case scenario for lippage (when one tile sits higher than the one next to it), because you have your highest point sitting right next to the lowest point. A 1/3 bond mitigates this risk. Considering a lot of people want nice tight grout joints (think 1/8") this is a problem.

On the other hand if it's your house and the space isn't that big and you don't give a poo poo about lippage (which can be mitigated by opening your grout joint) go nuts. Your floor isn't going to burst into flames if you set with a 50% running bond pattern, you just might feel the edge of the tile with your bare feet.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

actionjackson posted:

thanks for the replies, I'm pretty much looking to go with the 1/3 or 1/2 offset. herringbone feels a bit more retro to me, like chevron, for some reason.

just to be clear, are you suggesting 1/3? it's a small bathroom (only buying 48 SF of tile) if that matters.

The Tile Council of North America, as well as the manufacturers, will suggest 1/3.

I suggest going with what will make you happy, just understand that if you do 1/2, you may have a more difficult time with your joints, especially if you go with a thinner grout joint. On the other hand you probably wouldn't have noticed anyway had I not pointed it out.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Would a $4 glass cutter, a straight edge and a nice flat work surface be the easiest thing?
Just slice the mirror to a point where there's no broken corner anymore and rehang.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

What brand tub is that?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I have a relatively small island in my kitchen (IIRC it's 26x40).
There's a fluorescent light fixture above it.

I want to replace it with something nicer, but the island is too small to be able to use hanging lights. I also really like the amount of light that the current fixture throws, it just happens to be ugly as poo poo.

Any recommendations? Do I just figure on high hats?

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 10, 2021

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

actionjackson posted:

the fixture you have is too big anyway imo

It is.
I'll show them to my wife. One of my bigger concerns is that I'm going to have to see where the box is. If it's not relatively centered over the island it's going to bug the poo poo out of me.

Also I was hoping for soemthing in the 4K range, because right now I really like the amount of light that the florescent fixture throws, I just hate the fixture itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

actionjackson posted:

assuming you mean 4000K that's pretty drat high. I have 3000K and that was what was suggested to me by the lighting store to continue using.

There's color temperature (in Kelvins) and brightness (in lumens or watts). The suggestions I got for a kitchen ceiling light were 3000K, and at least 1600 lumens. There are a few lights out there that have adjustable color temperature.

I was thinking the color temp. The fluorescent light throws a brighter white light that brightens up the room pretty great at night. However none of those fixtures are obscenely expensive, so I could at least install one of them and see how it looks and just repurpose it somewhere else if I don't like it.