Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Honestly it feels like you're really overthinking all of it?

The white face plate on a dark wall is going to jump out and get noticed quickly, but we'll process it as a face plate and mentally move on pretty quickly.

Something brass and designed may not jump out at first but you'll have to process and think about what it is more than the white, and ultimately your brain will decide "Does this go with the room?"

And that's the key, if you have one eccentric face plate in a normal room that might seem off. If it ties into other decor and the color palette of the room it can be a pretty cool flourish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Also it’s sometimes worth it to buy a piece of dry wall to test paint on instead of taking a leap of faith on your walls.

We just painted our kitchen and most of the pictures from the paint company themselves look nothing like how it appears in our kitchen.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The first layout has a nice symmetry to the light and dark, the second feels more like a randomly tiled wall.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If that's where you're getting good sunlight it could be a nice little plant corner. Considering what you said about how you used the desk that was there and the seating you already have, it seems like a table or chair might be wasted there.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My 200+ year old pine floors feel attacked by that chart. (Good god are they soft)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

spinst posted:

Don't get cordless blinds!

I got 2" wooden cordless blinds (except for my one window which is too big), and they're kind of a pain in the rear end. They don't like to stay up as well as corded blinds.

I regret them. The blinds themselves are nice, though. And my one corded one is great.

Could not disagree any more. We are slowly replacing all of our blinds with cordless.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It gives it an intentional look and turns the bike into an art treatment. I can’t say for sure it would be a success but I have friends that have fantastic looking gear walls.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We did fiestaware for all our plates and bowls and they’ve been really great and we don’t have to worry about having a perfectly matching style for everything.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Do you have a budget in mind? The built-in doesn't mesh with the surroundings at all imo and if you're not a fireplace person I'd really think about just treating it all as one big blank slate. The only problem you might have is the flooring under the fireplace, unless you have spare tiles.

Do you have more art? Photos? Books? Into plants? If you did reclaim space what would you want to have here other than a TV? Is the sectional centered to the wall?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm such a glutton for symmetry that I would probably nix that built in and make a new one that ties into the fireplace and gives you shelving for books or plants, but then frees up the wall for art and the tv.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Fwiw our tv is above a high chair rail so we put it on a fireplace wall mount even though there isn’t one below it, but it allows us to bring it down when we want a better viewing angle but have the ability to sneak it back up higher.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Don't think I agree with moving that cabinet, maybe it just feels in the way because of the position the pictures were taken in.

What is the room directly across from your rolling cart? Does it have another entrance? Just wondering if there's any room layout options available like closing that up put put cabinets and counter over there.

Having wall cabinets above the fridge and stove will certainly increase a lot of storage.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I would go for the full cabinet + mounted microwave above the stove to get more counter space.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The important thing is you post pictures every time you reorganize because now we're all overly invested.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Another cool place for prints: https://www.vsual.co/

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Red wainscoting with white or black walls.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

actionjackson posted:

you mean the niche? yes it came out very well. he had been doing this for 17 years though

It’s a joke about beatmasterj’s sex dungeon bathroom. The tile alignment was poo poo and had awful cuts and his retort was that it’s pretty much impossible to predict where the tiles will end up.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah that's tough, my probably bad idea is paint that wall a really dark desaturated color and leave the stairwell as-is. It's just an awkward space and instead of drawing attention to it I would try to visually remove it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm actually going through this same exercise right now and having trouble finding something I like + My wife likes + will fit our needs.

For a lot of these units the Amazon reviews mention that they don't hold shoe sizes past men's 9, so be very aware of the size going into it. Also probably want enough clearance somewhere to put wet shoes/boots before putting it in the unit.

Very close to building my own cabinet.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’m starting to lean towards something like this and just modifying a lot of what I don’t like about it but it’s cheap as hell so I don’t care.

https://a.co/d/45Dy0A0

I like having some open shelving as my son is 2 and does better with a basket to dump stuff in.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

fyallm posted:

I don't prefer that, so that isn't helpful..

I guess I've gotten all the help I can from this thread, thanks.

Awww, poor you.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If you can't survive sleeping in 65/67 degrees then you should do what nature is trying to and let your body give up.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We made a wall of differently sized frames spaced evenly and first way out them on the floor to get the layout then I used a piece of wood that was the size of the spacing we wanted to I didn’t have to measure any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’ve been trying to make a 3d layout as easily as possible for my kitchen renovation, just directional, and so far found ikea’s online designer the easiest to use. Because you’re bound to their products you end up with some funk but it’s letting me easily mess around.