Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I have signed a lease for my first place of my own since my days of dingy college pads full of Salvation Army furniture 20 years ago. (In the interim, I lived with family, and spent many years doing a job where I lived out of hotels). I have no idea what I’m doing, and need some help figuring out how to make rooms that look good.

What I have: I’m coming into a nice big 2 bedroom apartment with my bed, a dresser, a desk, a Kallax bookshelf, and three couches and two coffee tables that I’m liberating from my parents place because they don’t want to schlep them to Florida.

What I’ve done; I used Polycam to put together a floor plan of the new place with measurements and just kind of half assedly doodled some basic furniture placement on my iPad to get an idea of what fits and works.

What I need: I’m obviously gonna have to buy a bunch of furniture - specifically a dining set and some nightstands and another dresser probably - but most of that can wait, and I think I have an eye for what works with what mostly.

My more pressing need is rugs. Every room more or less requires a rug because of building rules and I just have no loving clue how to identify a rug that will really tie the room together or whatever and give me some flexibility for my future furniture shopping that needs to happen. I figure I probably need an 8x10 for both the living and bedroom, an 8x6 for the office, and some sort of square or maybe circular one for that weird foyer/hall/dining space adjacent to the kitchen, and some quantity of hallway runner type stuff.

But I have no clue what to look for in terms of colors or patterns that will work with my brown leather couches (the living room ones are a light blonde leather; the one in the office is a super dark brown), and, maybe more importantly, the huge white/pink/coral looking coffee table I’m inheriting that I love to death even if I have no clue how to make it work with anything else.

The walls are all gross “the building super slapped this on and he buys in bulk” beige tending towards pink (the only photo I have is of the cabinets but it does the job):

I’m trying not to spend too much on rugs - I know there’s tons of cheap ones to be had on Home Depot, Walmart, Wayfair, and a half dozen other websites - but also I am just so overwhelmed by choices and have only a tiny babby understanding of interior design and color so please tell me what I should be thinking about and looking for.

Stay tuned for more exciting questions as I get lost in IKEA repeatedly or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Anne Whateley posted:

Are you in a weird place where they’re going to do inspections?

Here (NYC) the standard rule is 80% of the floor must be covered with rugs. However, if you don’t make noise, nobody gives a gently caress. It’s just there so that if you have dogs or kids or a fondness for high heels, and the downstairs tenant is miserable, the landlord can make you cover the floors. But if you don’t, it’s totally fine (I’ve lived with 100% hardwood for 15+ years). Ymmv depending on where you are

Yeah property manager was very specific on them wanting to check it out after I move in.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Freaquency posted:

I think we’re going to need pictures of this huge white/pink/coral coffee table to properly assist

This is the end table (along with the couch that it’s going with); the coffee table is in storage, but it’s the same stone, at coffee table height, and is a 4-5 foot triangular type thing.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

fyallm posted:

This isn't really helpful...

Seems helpful to me. I agree with the other poster, giant Home Depot skeleton in that space would actually kind of own.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I need a Window Treatments 101; new place has a bunch of windows that needs blinds or curtains or both, and I just have no loving clue what I'm doing. Like, I don't even know the correct points to be measuring from - the windowsill? the frame of the window itself? inside the box of the sill, outside of it? Do I need/want blinds and curtains? Is just one or the other fine or correct? I think once I understand what I'm doing I can handle actual aesthetic choices, but it's just a complete blind spot in my understanding of decor and I just don't even know where to start.

Help.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

actionjackson posted:

can you take some pictures and share?

Now that I’m actually in the new place I can take some photos of rooms that need window help and get some real suggestions soon hopefully.

BUT

Before we return to your regularly scheduled Good Design chat, I instead need help with something extremely stupid.

I want/need a rug for my home office space. Unlike the rest of the apartment where I have nice rugs, IMO the office / gamer lair should be a place for something incredibly stupid.

Unfortunately, this work of artappears to be discontinued and no longer available.

So, goons, I appeal to you. Help me find the dumbest, cheap garbage rug imaginable for my posting station. The best I’ve found so far is this one, and while I appreciate the spirit of honoring the goatman, the design doesn’t quite do it for me.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I want a futon/sleeper sofa type thing for my home office. The primary use 350 days out of the year is going to be a place for me to step two feet away from my desk and lie down while the sounds of a meeting I need to be in but do not need to contribute to wash over me, and maybe a more comfortable spot to play a controller game on my PC or whatever.

Maybe a week or two out of the year, it might see actual over night guest sleeper usage. The room in question is kind of long and narrow, so in terms of sleepers, the sort that pull out to double width and use the whole length of the couch for bed length are the only kind that will work here. The old fashioned kind that place the head of the person sleeping against the back of the couch and go long won't fit in the room. That said, I have effectively infinite length to work with. (Well, like 14 feet, and I only want a 7-8 foot sofa, so).

Perhaps naively, I would like to stay under 1000 dollars. Something like the Ikea Friheten is in the ballpark, but I've never really cared for any Ikea product that involves me sitting on it.

Where else should I be looking? What else should I be looking for? How stupid am I for trying to keep this budget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I’m looking (kind of half assedly - I’m in no real rush) for a piece of furniture for a spot in my living room, and am wondering if there’s some term of art I’m not aware of that will make searching easier than just endlessly scrolling through bookshelves, credenzas, and sideboards in search of the 2 or 3 that are what I’m after.

Essentially, I have a 5 foot space between my couch and a wall where I’d like to put some storage/shelving. A nice bookshelf would be great. But I would really like it if I could have something short and table height near the couch, to act as a pseudo end table, and then taller on the other side. Obviously I can do this with two pieces, or with a modular option like IKEA KALLAX’s - which is very likely where I’ll end up, but, like, for example, I really love some of the look of this IKEA Skuvby combo https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/skruvby-storage-combination-black-blue-s49494646/

Is there some kind of term for the sort of piece that I’m looking (essentially a bookshelf/media center/sideboard set that is of multiple heights) for that would make this search a little easier?