Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
It sucks, but $35k is not that much when it comes to kitchen remodeling. Moving plumbing is expeeeeeeeensive and your current stove/ water layout is awkward. Your biggest bang for buck might honestly be to remove the upper cabinets and wall separating the kitchen from dining room and add bar seating to the dining side.

Perhaps add a sideboard or something to the dining room for storage of occasional use items. Then you could replace or reface cabinets and get a nice countertop. I agree that putting your fridge way on the opposite end of the room would be a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
The more I think about that stove wedged in the corner, the more mad I get. It reminds me of all the lovely cut up apartments where they wedged a "kitchen" into a former closet and you couldn't open the oven door fully.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
What things do you want to happen in the front room? Is it a take off your coat and walk through kinda place or a chill reading zone or what?

Edit: I think the main issue with the current set up is that there's not an easy entry point to the interior, so it looks uninviting. Creating an obvious pathway will help a lot.

Hutla fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 18, 2021

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
What's the difference between the bike leaning up against the wall and the bike hanging on the wall? It's still visible.

Edit : sorry, I meant to the op, like why is the bike ugly and utilitarian on the wall but not on the ground?

Hutla fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 18, 2021

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I feel like anyone into bikes would immediately appreciate your well used bike, and anyone not into bikes would be impressed that you got it up on a hanger.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
That seems like a perfectly normal place for an upper cabinet? I might be biased because of my hatred of open shelving-everything on open shelves will get nasty fast, especially in a place without a great vent hood.

I think that you can get more out of the storage that you do have with some better organization - you have a ton of wasted space in your pantry with putting short spice bottles in there. Get a couple of short baskets, sort the spices by general use case, and adjust your 2nd shelf on the wire rack to be just tall enough to pull out the basket and grab the bottles. This way you free up valuable pantry space for things like canisters and other bulky objects, plus the spices can be wheeled over to where you're doing the cooking. If there's enough room below, get some s hooks and hang your skillets currently taking up valuable counter space.

I actually have those wire shelves in my apartment and have 2 of them set really shallow to fit all my baking sheets and pie dishes, etc. They're all upside down to keep the cooking surface clean since they're out in the open. They take up so much less space than if they were in a cabinet. I can also set baked goods straight onto them to cool.

Don't be afraid to take out one of the shelves in the pantry for tall things - it feels a little like you're losing storage space, but you'll be able to store a lot of grocery stuff and free up lower cabinets for bulkier things.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
If how you're doing it works for you and is sustainable, just keep chugging along. There are some here who have a near religious fervor for minimalism, but instant minimalism really only works if you have the cash to spend on rebuying stuff at will. Throwing it all out to start over isn't something you can do on a tight budget.

If you're getting a handle on the impulse purchasing, you're halfway there and it will get easier in the future since you won't have to think about it you really wanted it forever or just thought it was cool and then have to deal with the feelings of shame for "wasting money".

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
That is a gorgeous kitchen, I love it!

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I bought a couch from Interior Define in November and it was delivered at the end of April. The good news is that it came as ordered and is extremely comfortable.

Edit: They have a timeline tracker once you order and it was actually built pretty fast, but then it spent from the end of December through the beginning of April on the cargo ship sailing to Los Angeles and then waiting at the port to dock.

Hutla fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 16, 2022

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
This is a super rough way of cheating color schemes, but if you go to here it’s a color scheme generator. You can lock colors and then have the website come up with others that will compliment what you have. I’d make sure to include your floor color in the locked ones. Then just generate until you find something you like.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Make a sketch on graph paper with measurements and everything that can’t change. We love fooling around with that kind of thing.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Do you have a gas line or anything else that can't be moved? A plug for the fridge? Do you want just a kitchen or a table in there or a breakfast bar? An island or peninsula? What kind of cooking do you do- heat and eat or more involved? What would you ideally be doing in the kitchen? A better kitchen is really subjective and my ideal kitchen is probably much different from yours.

So, tell us what you want to do in there that you couldn't before.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

As someone who cooks a lot, I like this one best so far! I’d definitely go with a moveable cart or island, though. As long as the wheel have locks and you choose a solid top you’ll be able to knead on it and having a big workspace that you can pull over to the stove or sink is super helpful.

I have 2 rolling bakers racks that I love, but a lot of people don’t like the more industrial look. I take everything off and wash it once a year just from general living dust and grime getting in all the wires. I do have to constantly move things off of my designated out of the oven cooling area that my partner loves to fill with stuff, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
For sound dampening you really just want to break up hard surfaces, especially long expanses, with soft materials. Put up curtains, put down rugs, throw a blanket over that leather chair. Contemporary open plan living spaces and minimalist style are just an acoustic nightmare, to the point where sound absorbing panels now come in lots of colors and shapes so that you can bring the beauty of office retrofits into your own home.