Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've got one of these Billy book cases, and I'm planning on putting Lego sets and collectibles in them behind glass doors. It looks like I'm supposed to use Hogbos for that, but they don't come in birch. Only the Oxburg doors seem to come in birch, but I don't wanna spend the money on six of those drat things. Are there any other products, IKEA or not, that work as glass doors for Billies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm looking to upgrade my bedframe. I'm considering wood next - I don't like metal frames, and my old Zinus fabric-lined bedframe has gotten pretty ratty and hasn't stood up against my cat's claws. Slats, not boxsprings. I'm most concerned about durability and longevity, if I buy a bedframe I want it to last at least five years or so. Otherwise not sure what to look for in wood bedframes, or what brands to consider. Anything in particular I want to select for? Material, build type, etc.?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Thuma is speaking to me, but I want a headboard and it’s like an extra $700. :gonk: Honestly though if the Thuma headboard is banger quality then I might be willing to splurge.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, that’s my concern. It’s pretty overpriced. I like the joinery aspect of it, but it’s not like I can’t handle some assembly, so :shrug: This helps me figure out price points per material - thank you!

Also, what’s the deal with headboards, anyway? Are they specific to the bedframe, or can you attach any board to any frame?

Edit: I’ve genuinely considered the Antigua: https://www.allmodern.com/furniture/pdp/antigua-solid-wood-bed-a000375456.html?piid=946690836%2C962079397 but it’s out of stock :cripes: Otherwise it’d be my pick. I have bo idea when it will be in stock again…

The Silk and Snow headboard-combo i linked above is more appropriately priced than the Thuma while also being a higher quality hardwood - acacia instead of rubber wood. Bonus, it too is castle-jointed!

Silk and Snow Wooden Bed Frame with Headboard, Queen: Solid Acacia @ $1200 $1080 (7/28/2023)
Thuma Platform Bed + Headboard, Queen: Solid Rubberwood @ $1795 (7/28/2023)

In the absence of the Antigua, I think the Silk and Snow is an attractively optimal pick.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 28, 2023

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gotcha, thanks! Had no idea you could attach headboards to the wall. Maybe if I ever buy property…

In the meantime, I just edited my post above to consider the Silk and Snow bedframe. Any reasons I shouldn’t get it?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is why I have goons do things for me. :v:

Okay, so maybe not the Silk and Snow one. That joint work is pretty dire when you look at it. I understand the kd and Casper recommendations now - of those two, Casper is more attractive. Unfortunately, Casper reviews are pretttty bad. I might just kick the can down the road a bit longer and see how I care with the kd.

Orrrrrr I could go whole hog and get Amish-made. :getin:

I’m learning!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 28, 2023

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My apartment has a small dining room, a square space roughly 7.5’ x 7.5’ in size. Almost more of a nook. The kitchen has an eating counter that sits at least two, but I want to fill the dining space with a table as well. Apparently you need at least 3’ of clearance on all sides, so I can only get a 1.5’ x 1.5’ table :gonk:

What other options do I have? How would you fill a 7.5’ x 7.5’ dining room(/nook)? I don’t have company often, so no heavy use, but it’d be nice to eat there instead of the counter or maybe set up a board game or hobby space or something.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 10, 2023

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

KillHour posted:

I have an elderly incontinent pet and now I'm sad thinking about him dying :smith:

:cry:

OP, I’ve had a tweed couch for about 3 or so years now, and haven’t really had to deep or steam clean it to a large degree. Part of it is that tweed is pretty robust and durable, but it’s also just that daily wear and tear isn’t really noticeable in term of dirt and cleanliness. But I’ve spilled coffee and food/sauce on it a few times, and even cleaned up cat barf. It always comes out well, though you’ll inevitably have slight discoloration or wear and tear sometimes because nothing lasts forever.

Here’s what I did for a couch made of sturdy fabric: wipe up the solid and/or dry mess with paper towels, soak up the wet mess with the same, spray some enzymatic cleaner such as Nature’s Miracle (the real kind, not the poo poo kind) or your fabric cleaner of choice on the mess, lightly scrub with a soft disposable sponge, leave to soak for 15m~1hr depending on severity, sop up as much moisture as possible with paper towels, sprinkle a light(!) layer of baking soda on top to absorb any leftover moisture, and vacuum up the baking soda once it’s all dried out.

Eventually I got a cheap handheld carpet cleaner, and it’s about as effective while being somewhat less of a pain. Maybe just skip to that step, but YMMV.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pencils, graph paper, 6 real-world inches per square, done. Nice and simple. Cut out some tokens to-scale for bonus points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I bought a dining set on Black Friday from IKEA, but they ended up only delivering the table cuz they ran out of the chairs. :suicide:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ekedalen-chair-black-orrsta-light-gray-20434399/

The chairs are already refunded, so I’m figuring I’ll just buy elsewhere. Plus the last chairs I bought from IKEA were weak as gently caress and ended up collapsing out from under me so I’d rather spend the money on something that’ll actually last.

Maybe somethin like these? Or these, maybe? edit waaaaait a minute these are the same chairs wtf :mad:

Edit 2: gently caress it, these will be fine. Close in dimensions, too.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 28, 2023